We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

final details for a trip to KL - Nang Thong Bay resort,etc..

S'pore
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
final details for a trip to KL - Nang Thong Bay resort,etc..

Hi,

First of all, thanks to the people who have provided, and provide today valuable information on this forum about Khao Lak : it really helps - first, to chose to visit Khao Lak and its area, and second, to plan one's trip accordingly :)

So we will be heading to Khao Lak in March.

I am considering staying at the Nang Thong Bay resort, given the good reviews it has on TA. But the feedback there is "quite old" . has anybody stayed there recently ? Would you advise the resort I or resort II - specially for cleanliness of rooms?

I am also a bit concerned by the odd smell coming from the river that people reported about...

Also, I wondered if the restaurants in La On and Bang Niang villages open early in the morning to serve local breakfasts for instance (like in Vietnam , or in Singapore) ? Or do Thai people eat breakfast at home in these areas ?

Do the two villages offer the same level of services/shops ? (travel agencies to book a snorkelling daytrip , nice massage shops, good restaurants, etc.. )

It seems Bang Niang has gotten bigger than Nang Thong , and may offer more...

Thanks very much !

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: final details for a trip to KL - Nang Thong Bay resort,etc..

Hello fipile,

Well we,stayed in Nang Thong Bay Resort last August(low season)and it was so good that we will definitely be staying there again this year.....

NTBR 1 and 2 are owned by the same people(The supermarket)and both resorts are very similar and about a 10 minute leisurely beach stroll from each other....

The room we stayed in(garden bungalow) was exceptionally clean and cleaned every day which included 4 free bottles of water everyday too....

The roofless showers are a great novelty considering the tariff is so cheap...Something you would expect from a more opulent resort....

Anyway,it is nice studying the stars whilst you shower and if it rains..?...Well,you can always use your umbrella....!!??...

To note: The beach bungalows do not have TV....The garden bungalows and superior rooms do have TV.....

The garden bungalow we stayed in was one bungalow away from the stream and this did not bother us in the least.....smellwise or mozzie wise....!!....Tho' the stream does get flushed out during heavy rains,taking any and all debris out with it.....Unfortuntaely this debris ends up in the ocean...!!??...

We ate @ Jai's (Bang La On)for breakfast on some mornings at around 8am....It depends what you mean by early,early...??...6am perhaps...??...

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: final details for a trip to KL - Nang Thong Bay resort,etc..

You will find plenty of places open for breakfast both in Bang La On (Nang Thong) and Bang Niang. Whilst Bang Niang has developed rapidly and still is daily, Bang La On remains the main township, rather than village, with more shops and tour agencies etc. There are massage parlours/places everywhere, including on the beach.

Nothing to add to the previous report about NBR 1 or 2 which remains as a very popular and highly regarded resort. If you ensure your bungalow is not near the run off that goes through the resort you will avoid any smell that may occur at times.

S'pore
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: final details for a trip to KL - Nang Thong Bay resort,etc..

Thank you for your detailed messages.

I'll go with the Nang Thong Bay resort then :) .

8am qualifies for an early morning when we are on holidays, no problem !

Looking forward to walk the streets and try lots of good stuff, indulge myself with massages ...

We'll only stay a few days, cause it is our first time to Thailand. That'll serve a sample, hoping that it will be nice enough for us wanting to come back many times :D.

Since we are a bit away from Phuket frenzy, do you find it easier to interact with Thai people ? Also, do still have to bargain/haggle hard or is it a more relaxed and pacified "commercial relationship" :D ?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: final details for a trip to KL - Nang Thong Bay resort,etc..

No problem interacting with the local people at all. They are very friendly and helpful. You still have to haggle but always with a smile. Shop early after breakfast and you will be promised "best price for my first customer" and usually it is!

S'pore
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: final details for a trip to KL - Nang Thong Bay resort,etc..

Thank you for your answer.

I tried to book my room (sent an email last week-end, another during the week), and had not heard back.

So I called the hotel today, the guy told me to send an email ..

They do not seem very well organised... I guess that's the thai way :)

I mad him promise to check their emails and reply to me.

If they don't, then no issues, I will try to book elsewhere..

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: final details for a trip to KL - Nang Thong Bay resort,etc..

The NTBR do most of their bookings through one agency at http://khaolak.de/khaolakbeach/home.htm You could try booking through this.

S'pore
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: final details for a trip to KL - Nang Thong Bay resort,etc..

I did.

But this agency does not book stays that are less than 5 nights..

The only way for me is thus to try to book directly with the hotel..

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: final details for a trip to KL - Nang Thong Bay resort,etc..

Hi again filpile....

We actually walked in off the street and booked our bungalow there and then....

After having bargained for the best price of course.....

Fortunately we were staying at another place in khao Lak and were able to go to NTBR and book in advance while we were actually in Khao Lak.....

However,March is low season and you should have no trouble walking in and checking in as it will be fairly quiet then.....

I personally would'nt worry about booking online....And you might even get a better price in person.....

But that's only my personal experience with NTBR.....!!

I will be doing the same this year.....Walk in and check in....!!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: final details for a trip to KL - Nang Thong Bay resort,etc..

In fact March is still High Season, albeit generally quieter part. The NTBR is a very popular resort particularly with repeat bookings in High Season. If you want certainty persevere with your Emails you have time yet. If it is fully booked when you arrive and try a "walk-in" then you will find plenty of alternative accommodation available.

S'pore
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: final details for a trip to KL - Nang Thong Bay resort,etc..

Thanks cocotang and Arandora.

Actually, my call seems to have woken them up, as they have replied to me this morning.

So things should go fine from now.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations