We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

metered taxi

Sydney
Level Contributor
128 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
metered taxi

Is it possible to get a metered taxi from the airport to Khao Lak?

The going rate for private transportation from hotels seems to be about 1800 Baht which seems terribly expensive.

The trip would probably be only a little further than Kata, which if I remember correctly, cost under 900 Baht last year with a metered taxi.

Do the private taxis in Khao Lak cost as much as they do in Phuket i.e. do they rob you?

We are trying to book at Chong Fah resort and would like to know if the local mini marts etc are within a short walk of the resort and also does a local bus travel from nearby the resort to take us into town and other beaches?

We have never been to Khao Lak before and thought we would visit the area before we go to Kata. We are staying in Phuket for 28 nights and we were thinking of spending 8 nights or possibly 10 nights in Khao Lak but I don't know if we would get bored.

We don't need a lot of entertainment but like to eat out, swim and do a bit of shopping. We are happy on the beach for most of the day and don't do much in the way of tours. We really like to hear live entertainment whilst we have a drink, but it's not a major consideration.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Michelle

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: metered taxi

Hi Michelle and welcome to the Khao Lak Forum and hopefully to Khao Lak.

Yes, you can get a taxi from the airport to Khao Lak. There is a ticket booth just outside the Arrivals Hall and the fixed price is about 1500 baht.

However, there is a company in Khao Lak called Cheaper than Hotel Taxis which charges 1000 baht each way in good air-conditioned cars. Contact Boss on cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com or 085 7861378 to make arrangements. He is very reliable as you will see from this recent thread tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

There are a couple of small min-marts within walking distance of the Chong Fah for your immediate needs but the biggest supermarket with greatest choice is 10 minutes away by taxi in Bang La On,. the main township. However, there are plenty of restaurants, bars and shops on, overlooking or on the roads nearby the Chong Fah which is ideally placed. There is also a taxi stand right outside the entrance to this delightful resort.

I don't think you will get bored in Khao Lak, there is plenty to do as you will see if you read the Top Questions on top right of the forum, particularly tripadvisor.com/Travel-g297914-c109161/Khao-…

What time of year are you thinking of coming to Khao Lak as that will determine the level of activity here?

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Cheaper than Hotel Taxis
Cheaper than Hotel Taxis
1,009 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Norway
Level Contributor
76 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: metered taxi

Hey Michellee

Boss of Cheaper then hotels will take you for 1000bht .Arandora. Khao Lak expert is out of bed so I guess he will answere all your quetion soon. 20 sleeps and I will be in lovely Khao Lak

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Norway
Level Contributor
76 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: metered taxi

Oops, a little late.lol

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: metered taxi

It's a lovely 28c and beautifully sunny at 8am here in Khao Lak. Not a cloud in the sky:))

Edited: 02 January 2010, 07:05
Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Sydney
Level Contributor
128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: metered taxi

Thank you so much for the quick replies.

We are planning on arriving on 2nd April, about 8-9 pm from Sydney.

1000 Baht sounds fine. Don't any of the metered taxis actually use the meter when travelling to Khao Lak?

I'm not a great fan of Patong but I do like Surin & Kata. How would Khao Lak compare?

Hopefully we can book Chong Fah but I think it will depend on what price we can get and also at the moment they only seem to have twin room beds rather than king size.

Michelle

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,191 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: metered taxi

The taxis work on a fixed price so no problem with any meter scams. Boss will charge you a fixed price and drivers are not as mad as regular Phuket taxi drivers!!!

I would persevere with the Chong Fah for the type of room you want. I think they have rooms allocated to on-line agencies so cannot book them direct too early until the agencies release them. Business is generally slow here at the moment with bookings about 0% down on last year but at the time you are thinking of it should be getting busier again with the arrival of Easter and Sonkran (13th April - pity you will just miss it!)

I'm dining at the Chong Fah tonight so I will ask at Reception about the position on king size rooms, presumably 1 room for 2 persons?

Khao Lak is nothing like Patong (thank goodness!) and is more laid back and original Thai style IMHO than either Surin or Kata with over 25km of glorious beahes.

Have a look at this link to pics of the various beaches from earlier this year tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k25…

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,191 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
797 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: metered taxi

We are looking to stay at Chong Fah in August for about 4 weeks and the resort has some good deals but I have been looking for on-line booking companies that deal with this resort at maybe an even better price; so far I haven't come up with any but if anybody knows of one, please let me know.

Newcastle...
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: metered taxi

Does Boss do pickups from Patong?

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: metered taxi

thorntonaussie,

Contact Boss to see if he does. If not look at Khao Lak Travel Centre at www.khaolaktravelcenter.com/index.php…

michellee78,

Just called in the Chong fah and they DO have King Size options from 2nd April, rates as per their website. Reservations said for you to Email them for confirmed quote. See http://www.chongfahresort.com/

Senjan & michellee

Try khaolak.de/khaolakbeach/eBangNiangBeach.htm

and

www.tma-travel.com/hotel_info.aspx…

and

travelpod.com/specialty-resort/Chong_Fah_Bea…

I rather think though that this very popular resort deals mainly directly and keeps rates high most of the time.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Sydney
Level Contributor
128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: metered taxi

Arandora, thank you so much for your help. I have emailed them and am hoping they can oblige. It's a shame that we are not going a bit later, as the price drops dramatically in May. We usually go in September/October and get the cheaper rates but couldn't go last year.

Michelle

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations