We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good quality tailor in Khao-Lak

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Good quality tailor in Khao-Lak

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone could recommend a good quality tailor in Khao Lak. My aim is to bring my favorite suit and some shirts and get them copied. How much would I pay and how long would it take to get a suit done?

Cheers

Jason

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Good quality tailor in Khao-Lak

There are many tailors in Khao Lak, far too many in fact! When we returned last January nearly every other new previously vacant shop unit in Bang Niang had been taken by a tailor and it is one of the most bothersome features, not peculiar to Khao Lak, as you are continuously pestered, even sometimes chased on the street, by the tailors' salesmen. However many of the tailors are "front windows" or chains with orders being taken but articles made elsewhere, even in Bangkok.

Since going to Khao Lak I have personally only used 1 tailor and make no secret of the fact that I now regard him and his family as very dear personal friends. So although I heartily recommend him, I hope others will come with their recommendations so as to give you a balanced view.

He is Monty the Tailor and is the longest established tailor in Khao Lak. You will find his shop in the Khao Lak Grand City Plaza, which is the big yellow building on your right just after the highway divides into 4 lanes on the entrance into Bang La On (or on the right down past the Viking Steakhouse). You won't find him or his brother Tony on the street trying to entice you in as they don't do that or need to as much of their business is repeat (speaks for itself).

You can contact him through his website at http://www.montythetailor.com/ or email montythetailor@gmail.com and discuss your requirements and receive a quote in advance. Prices depend on the work and quality of material. Taking your suit and shirts for copying is a popular way of getting exactly what you want and once done and you are satisfied, the information is kept on file for future re-ordering from home. Having a suit and shirts made would typically take about 4 days, quicker if you are time-constrained longer and more leisurely for fittings etc. if you prefer. "Suits you, sir!" (sorry!)

Regards

Middlesborough
11 posts
2. Re: Good quality tailor in Khao-Lak

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the average cost of a suit & are the prices cheaper than the UK?

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
3. Re: Good quality tailor in Khao-Lak

Hi,

I can only add Mr Monty what a wonderful experience. A few years ago i had a dress made copied from a magazine in silk it was perfect. Every customer that enters his shop is made to feel special and he has such beautiful fabrics for you to choose from. I now have a collection of clothes made by him and love wearing each item.

Julie

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: Good quality tailor in Khao-Lak

Midman,

I can't tell you the average price as I explained previously it depends on the design and the material - and there is a huge range from lihjtweight to heavyweight, wools, linens, man mades and mixes but certainly for what I have had made and my wife it has been significantly cheaper than in UK, especially if you are having suits/shirts etc. made to a pattern you have brought with you or selected from designer books in the shop.

5. Re: Good quality tailor in Khao-Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2010, 10:49
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak