We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surin vs Great Barrier Reef: Khao Sok vs Jungle Rafts Kancha

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
123 posts
22 reviews
Surin vs Great Barrier Reef: Khao Sok vs Jungle Rafts Kancha

Hi, my Husband and I are travelling back to Thailand in March. I am debating whether to head back to Khao Lak and do snorkelling at Surin and the floating raft at Khao Sok. Or since we are in Kanchanaburi how do the Jungle Rafts to Khao Sok and has any one been to Australia's Barrier Reef to compare to Surin. Thank you for any help. Donna

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Surin vs Great Barrier Reef: Khao Sok vs Jungle Rafts Kancha

I think you are not comparing apples with apples here. The floating houses at Kanchanburi are on the river which is a totally different experience to the raft houses on Cheow Lan Lake in Khao Sok National Park. They are different destinations with wider attractions in their own right. I think the raft houses at Cheow Lan are more of an experience in themselves, particularly waking up to the incredible views over the lake as the limestone islands and formations emerge through the mist plus then swimming in the waters of the lake. The floating houses at Kanchanburi are more of local, albeit unique, accommodation in between wider enjoyment of the area.

The Similan Islands and the Surin Islands are 2 World Class diving/snorkeling sites. However, the scale, vastness and variety of the GBR leave it beyond parallel IMHO. Having said that I enjoyed our 3 day trip to the Surins overall more than our 1 day trip to the GBR as we found it more intimate and the reefs more accessible. We saw more coral, fish and marine life "up close and personal" at the Surins than the GBR (we did the Quicksilver Tour) but are privileged to have visited and enjoyed both.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: Surin vs Great Barrier Reef: Khao Sok vs Jungle Rafts Kancha

Hi,

I spent a week on the GBR on the Captain Cook cruise which was fabulous and a fantastic experience. I also feel that i saw and experienced more at Surin as the marine life here is outstanding and so beautiful.

Julie

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
123 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Surin vs Great Barrier Reef: Khao Sok vs Jungle Rafts Kancha

Thank you so much for your reply, we are so looking forward to our night on the lake and tree house - are Limestone Lake Tours the best ones to go through. We will probably be catching the overnight train from Kanchanaburi to Surat Thani so I think pick up from them may be easiest? Thank you again.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
4. Re: Surin vs Great Barrier Reef: Khao Sok vs Jungle Rafts Kancha

GBR's made up of 3000 individual coral reefs, some 180m high, and stretches 2000 kms from the Cape York down to Bundaberg.

300+ coral types, 30 marine mammal species including dugong, porpoise and whale, 125 species of shark, more than 1500 fish species.

It's like comparing a one-thousand carat pink diamond to cubic zirconia you picked up on ebay (with respect to the beautiful Khao Lak area).

*No offence to anyone intended :-)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Surin vs Great Barrier Reef: Khao Sok vs Jungle Rafts Kancha

As I said, not comparing apples with apples, but if you are staying in or near Khao Lak and appreciate the wonders of reef and marine life on a smaller but nevertheless wonderful scale then a trip to the Surins or the Similans shouldn't be missed.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
6. Re: Surin vs Great Barrier Reef: Khao Sok vs Jungle Rafts Kancha

Ditto. :-)

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
170 reviews
7. Re: Surin vs Great Barrier Reef: Khao Sok vs Jungle Rafts Kancha

We used limestonelake tours and loved them. Communication was excellent and they really bent over backwards to accomodate us. :)

london
Level Contributor
987 posts
125 reviews
8. Re: Surin vs Great Barrier Reef: Khao Sok vs Jungle Rafts Kancha

Hi there

Have also used Limestone Lakes Tours and found the service and the trip exceptionally good.

Happy travels

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
123 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Surin vs Great Barrier Reef: Khao Sok vs Jungle Rafts Kancha

Thanks everyone, just waiting in anticipation for a reply from Kris. I have enquired about the 3day/2night jungle magic, is that enough time or do you advise staying 2nights just at the rafts and 1 at the treehouse. Donna

10. Re: Surin vs Great Barrier Reef: Khao Sok vs Jungle Rafts Kancha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2010, 09:49
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak