We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alone in khao lak this week?

UK
Level Contributor
251 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
alone in khao lak this week?

any solo female travellers in khao lak this week? I am finding it extrelely hard to make any kind of contact with caucaseans. It all seems pretty clicky to me. Thank god for my computer or I wouldnt converse with anyone !

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: alone in khao lak this week?

Hi,

If you have a look at the Khao Lak Calendar that I previously sent you a link to, you will see that there are other TA members in Khao lak at the Moment. You may wish to PM them or leave a message at their hotels in case they are not accessing a computer suggesting a get together. I'm sure other members would be delighted to meet up.

See also my post about an event taking place in Bang Niang next week. I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunity to meet people there.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: alone in khao lak this week?

Hi,

I know the feeling the first time i ever traveled alone i spent a few nights and a lot of money talking to friends on my mobile as no one spoke to me and wondering why on earth did i come all this way alone . After a few nights of this every time i went out to restaurants i spoke to people first had some laughs when there was a language barrier but by me speaking first it broke the ice. You can also make friends at happy hour in your place of stay if it has one or on join in group excursions. I would also go along with Arandora's suggestion by making contact with the calendar. Since my first visit alone i now love going alone and it does not bother me at all i have made so many friends around the world each time i travel. I am sure you will soon come across some friendly people.

Julie

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: alone in khao lak this week?

Hi MM....Is that a pic of you doing a yoga asana....??....And are you a devotee of yoga...??

Anny and I love yoga and will be continuing with classes when we return to Khao Lak next year most likely at the Yoga Studio in Bang Niang.....

If somebody can shed some or more light on the Yoga Studio would be most grateful....!!??....As we have'nt been to this studio as yet....

UK
Level Contributor
251 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: alone in khao lak this week?

Thankyou for your help. Julie thankyou for your empathy. To be honest I was feeling quite homesick yesterday ,missing the kids etc wondering what on earth I 'd let myself in for but today I am feeling more positive. I did meet some fellow volunteers yesterday and dont fel quite so isolated. I do generally strike up conversation first but some people respond and others dont. I suppose you have to look at it that if you chatted randomly to people at home the reaction would invariably be negative so why should people behave differently abroad? I guess you win some you lose some !! Thankyou so much again

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: alone in khao lak this week?

Hi

So glad you are not now feeling so isolated. I think it is harder for a female to travel alone then a male. I have met many nice people in the past who have invited me to dine with them saves running up the mobile bill Lol

Julie

6. Re: alone in khao lak this week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2010, 09:50
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak