We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surin Island to Phuket in one day - is this possible?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
450 posts
75 reviews
Surin Island to Phuket in one day - is this possible?

Hi, if I'm staying in the National Park bungalows on Surin Island, is it possible to get the whole way to Phuket in one day? There's a 9.15 p.m. flight to Kuala Lumpur, but I'm not sure if I'd make it.

As I understand it, there's a slow boat leaving Surin at 3 p.m. Would it meet a bus going to Phuket in time? Or is there a morning boat I could catch that I don't know about?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Malcolm (New Zealand)

Khaolak
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Surin Island to Phuket in one day - is this possible?

It might be possible but not the bus, only taxi.

So I would recommned you to leave the Surin Island one day earlier and find the accommodation in either Khao Lak or Phuket since the taxi will be more expensive than room+ABF.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
450 posts
75 reviews
2. Re: Surin Island to Phuket in one day - is this possible?

Okay, thanks for that.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
450 posts
75 reviews
3. Re: Surin Island to Phuket in one day - is this possible?

One more question - what's the best way of getting to Surin (preferably from Khao Lak) if I'm not part of a dive group.

Thanks for your help.

Khaolak
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Surin Island to Phuket in one day - is this possible?

From Khao Lak, there are two operators.

The first one is "Kuraburi Green View" : 1 - 1.5 hours to the peir (Kuraburi)and 1 hour to Surin by speed boat.

The second one is "Medsye Tour" : 30 - 40 mins to the peir (Num Kem Village) and 1.5 hour to Surin by speed boat.

Prices are more or less the same.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
450 posts
75 reviews
5. Re: Surin Island to Phuket in one day - is this possible?

Thanks khaolaker, trying to find info on the Surins is very hard, so I appreciate your help.

I've looked up the Medsye website, but they don't mention anything about speedboat to Surin. I haven't emailed them yet becuase I'm still planning my trip, but do you know if they do a daily run to Surin? I'm travelling on my own, so I wonder if I'm not taking a dive trip, whether they will be able to drop me off at the national park bungalows.

I'd definitely prefer to stay in Khao Lak, so they seem the best option, but it concerns me they don't mention the Surin run on their website.

Khaolak
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Surin Island to Phuket in one day - is this possible?

They run the daily snorkling trip to Surin, and need to go to the island to have lunch (the same island that bungalows national park office are located). So I believe you can use their service. But the price is might the same or cheaper.

Better to email them to get the clear answer.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
450 posts
75 reviews
7. Re: Surin Island to Phuket in one day - is this possible?

Okay, thanks again. You've answered all the things I've been wondering about.

Cheers,

Malcolm

8. Re: Surin Island to Phuket in one day - is this possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2010, 09:50