We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banks

Wales
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Banks

Are banks still charging 150 Baht per debit card withdrawal at ATM's?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banks

Unfortunately Yes but use your Debit Card ovetr the counter with your passport and there is no charge. There is also a higher limit per transaction depending on your bank and the Thai Bank. For instance, the Nationwide FlexAccount limit from an ATM is the equivalent of £300 per day, or twice that if your spouse/partner has a card too but there is no limit at all, except if the Thai bank has one for withdrawals over the counter.

Bondi, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Banks

Worth noting that most tranactions take place in cash.

e.g. khao lak land discovery charge 3% for using a visa and the dive shops charge 5%.

We had hoped to use our visa for booking tours and dive trips, but ended up making quite a few trips to the bank and withdrawing wads of $$.

I would have brought more Baht before entering Thailand had I known this in advance.

Or as noted you can get money out over the counter.

Just worth knowing before you go to book your day trips.

Mentioned in this post
Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Banks

Hi J_in_Sydney, never buy your baht before entering Thailand.

Mentioned in this post
Wales
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Banks

Thanks for all your advice.

Just back from Khao Lak and having used Nationwide Credit and Debit Cards as well as GBP's definitely the best rate I received was exchanging cash.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Banks

All ATMs I've used so far are charging 150THB but at Kasikorn I drew 40,000THB on my Nationwide Debit Card with my passport at the exchange booth for the same rate as ATM and with no charge. I could have had more if I'd wanted.

stafordian
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Banks

What is the best way to take and change money in Khao Lak? Credit cards or GBP's? Should I take any bahts for the first day or two? and finally does anyone know if Le Meridien offers money exchange or has an ATM?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort
Le Meridien Phuket Beach...
3,498 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Banks

NEVER change money on a Credit Card. You get a low rate of exchange and are charged interest from the date you draw money to the day you pay it back in full.

There are ATMs throughout Khao Lak for use of Debit Cards and one, I think, in the Le Meridien which will also change money but at a poor rate of exchange. Bear in mind that using a Debit Card will incur a 150 baht charge per transaction plus any nthat your card issuer makes. If you go in a bank and use your Debit Card with your passport it will take longer but you avoid the 150 baht charge.

Travellers cheques get a good rate of exchange with a small charge and are secure and like most things "cash is king" but less secure.

Have a look at this link for further information:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297914-c120560/Kha…

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort
Le Meridien Phuket Beach...
3,498 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Wales
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Banks

Out of interest I changed GB pounds at the Exchanges at Bangkok Airport and in Khao Lak and had the following exchange rates. 53.80, 53.98 and 54.35 Baht., obviously the rate can change daily. Using my Nationwide Debit card the rate I got was 53.76, that did not include the 150 Baht charge for ATM usage.

I paid my hotel by credit card and the rate was 53.77.

These were during the last two weeks of November.

So " you pays your money and takes your choice!"

Rates for travellers' cheques were slightly better so if you can get commission free ones that could be a good deal.

Personally I will steer clear of the ATM's and change cash, my credit card will be used to pay large bills as long as there are no commission charges.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Banks

Confusingly, but gratefully, I was not charged at the ATM of the Bank of Ayudhya in Bang La On yesterday. Lowest rate so far was 53.90 at Phuket Airport last week, highest 54.22 in Bang La On both at Thai Farmers Bank ATMs using Nationwide Flex Account Debit Card.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket Airport Hotel
Phuket Airport Hotel
522 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
10. Re: Banks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2010, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak