We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JW Marriott to main strip - Shuttle / Taxi

Delhi
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
JW Marriott to main strip - Shuttle / Taxi

Hi everyone

I am considering staying at the Marriott Khao Lak for 5 nights in mid Nov. Is there a shuttle service run by Marriott to the main strip where the shops/restaurant are located. If so what is the cost and schedule of the shuttle service.

How much would a taxi cost from Marriott to the main strip or back. Is it possible to get a taxi from outside the Marriott.

Also, how far inside from the main highway if the Marriott. Is it a easy walk to the highway where a tuk-tuk can be flagged down.

All the photos of Marriott show a great but empty resort. Any one have any idea whats the occupancy level these days. I feel there is nothing worse than a 300 room resort with 15 rooms occupied. You get such a ghost town feeling...

Thanks for your replies.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: JW Marriott to main strip - Shuttle / Taxi

Hi,

Have a look at this report on another forum of a recent visit by a local (from Phuket) to Khao Lak, including comments on the JWM khaolaklovers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php…

Sorry, I can't help about a shuttle but having had a tour of the resortlast April and been impressed by the professionalism and quality of the arrangements for guests I would be surprised if a shuttle wasn't available and whether it is chargeable or not. Reception I am sure will arrange one for you. Whether there are any opportunists that wait near the entrance remains to be seen.

I would say from the highway to the entrance is over 1km and would be a long, tiring walk, paricularly in the heat of the day.

November marks the beginning of the Dry Season and increasing numbers of visitors but I would imagine for a newly branded resort like the JWM occupancy rates will be quite low.

Delhi
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
2. Re: JW Marriott to main strip - Shuttle / Taxi

Thanks for the reply.

The availability of transport to the Khao lak town is very important to us as without it we would be stuck inside the resort. Last time I was in KL we stayed at the Baan Khao lak and loved the convenience of being able to walk to the shops and restaurant.

Would anyone be knowing whether it be more convenient to the town from the Merlin as compared to the JWM ?

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
265 reviews
3. Re: JW Marriott to main strip - Shuttle / Taxi

Email the Marriott directly & if you are in the US, call them the 800 number. They will call the hotel directly while you wait on hold & get back to you. Ask what the cheapest way would be to get there. We use the Marriott exclusively here in the US & abroad & they have always been very helpful with ideas, how to get around etc. We have always found their advice spot on. They often have discount tickets to things such as winery tours in the Napa valley. Hope this helps!

Delhi
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
4. Re: JW Marriott to main strip - Shuttle / Taxi

Good idea, I will contact the Marriott KL directly to check if they have a shuttle service. Thanks

Delhi
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
5. Re: JW Marriott to main strip - Shuttle / Taxi

Couldnt find the e-mail address of JWM KL on the website. If anyone has the e-mail please post. Thanks

Delhi
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
6. Re: JW Marriott to main strip - Shuttle / Taxi

Couldnt find the e-mail address of JWM KL on the website. If anyone has the e-mail please post. Thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: JW Marriott to main strip - Shuttle / Taxi

This was the Email address of the General Manager at the Cher Fah. I presume it is the same now that it is JWM. adam.laker@cherfah.com

As for comparisons with the Merlin, firstly the Merlin is a venerable 4*, the JWL a luxury 5*. As for location the Merlin is one of a handful of resorts on Khao Lak Beach, the first beach you reach on the way from Phuket, with a couple of independent restaurants nearby and a few more up on the highway. In terms of access to "Khao lak Town" by which I presume you mean Bang La On, then you would need a taxi from the Merlin just as you would from the JWL. It would take you roughly the same time to both, about 10-15 minutes. The advantage of the JWL is that it is nearer to Bang Niang with its growing number of resorts, restaurants, bars and shops and the 3 times weekly market.

UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: JW Marriott to main strip - Shuttle / Taxi

Did anyone find the answer to this? The resort looks lovely but we also want to know how easy it is to get out and about. We would like to go out in the evening to eat and shop so would like to know how long that will take and approx how much it would cost. At other Marriotts in Thailand we have got a tuktuk into town in the evening - is this possible?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
9. Re: JW Marriott to main strip - Shuttle / Taxi

I think my previous answers and if you do a search on Cher Fah or J W Marriott you will find plenty of information about proximity to restaurants ande how long it takes to get to the main centres.

In short, there are only a few local restaurants on the beach within walking distance. Bang Niang is abouit 10 minutes away by taxi, Bang La On, the main township about 15 minutes, plenty of restaurants bars and shops in both. At a guess a taxi to either from the JWM would be about 300 - 400 baht. There are no tuk tuks in Khao Lak. The most popular form of taxi in addition to regular cars ids the Song Thaew (meaning 2 rows) with seats in the back of a canvas topped truck.

10. Re: JW Marriott to main strip - Shuttle / Taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2010, 09:54
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak