We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas & New Yearin Khao Lak

Middlesborough
11 posts
Save Topic
Xmas & New Yearin Khao Lak

What are the Xmas celebrations like in Khao Lak?

Is it like the Uk?

Are the kids likely to see Santa?

Do the restaurants do a special Xmas meal? & what is this likely to consist of?

How is New Year celebrated?

Is it like the UK? fireworks, parties into the early hours in the restaurants & bars?

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Siam Turmeric
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Seafood, Fast food, Deli
Pam's Restaurant & Bar
₹, Seafood, Asian, Thai
Ben's Restaurant
₹, Pizza, Seafood, Italian
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xmas & New Yearin Khao Lak

Xmas is not really celebrated in Thailand. Xmas Day is a normal day but there are likely to be celebrations and kids parties in the larger resorts, some of which make a compulsory charge for both Xmas and New Near special meals. Some local restaurants dress up. Indeed some leave the banners up all year! LOL.

New Year is a more lively celebration in resorts, restaurants and bars with fireworks from some beach resorts.

Very lively - for Khao Lak! but more low key in keeping with the general atmosphere there.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Bangkok, Thailand
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Xmas & New Yearin Khao Lak

Sorry, but I couldn't help but think your post was kinda funny.

At first I wondered if you were asking is Khao Lak like the UK.

Cuz i couldnt wrap my head around Christmas in Thailand being anything like Christmas in the UK!

last poster was right about many resorts having a compulsory dinner for Christmas and New Years. These are usually Thai owned resorts (as opposed to say Sheraton or Le Meridian) that have compulsory dinners; I imagine its like a sunday roast but of variable quality. I'd stick with the seafood.

Otherwise, yeah, theyre all buddhist and muslim around there. Thai people like to decorate and will wear santa hats and be super nice about saying merry christmas to every white person regardless of their religious beliefs,

but will any of it be anything like the UK?

that would be a shock.

fyi; Dec 26th is the anniversary of the Tsunami and I imagine any survivors of the ordeal are less than festive around that time; there may be some memorial service but i dunno.

New Years, probably quite a few fireworks displays and hopefully a good beach party somewhere. More like the UK celebration.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
3. Re: Xmas & New Yearin Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2010, 10:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak