We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Khao Sok and Ko Similan

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
Questions about Khao Sok and Ko Similan

I'm planning on visting Khao Sok (and hopefully Ko Similan) on our next trip to Thailand and have a couple of questions.

Firstly, do you think the following itinerary is packing in too much?:

Day 1 - arrive in Phuket (from Europe) at 5pm, travel to Khao Sok, overnight at Art's Riverview (through Limestone Lake Tours)

Day 2 - Khao Sok, overnight at floating rafthouse

Day 3 - Khao Sok, travel to Khao Lak late afternoon, overnight in Khal Lak

Day 4 - snorkelling day trip to Ko Similan with 7.30am pickup (through Khao Lak Land Discovery), overnight in Khao Lak

Day 5 - travel to Ko Phi Phi

Unfortunately we can't add in another day, as we have arranged to meet friends on Phi Phi on Day 5. I really really want to go to Khao Sok and do the snorkelling tour, but I'm wondering if this is too much in too little time, especially after a long haul flight. For what it's worth, most of the rest of our trip will involve lazing round on the beach so I don't mind having an action packed first few days. Any thoughts?

Secondly, can anybody who has stayed in the tree and raft houses in Khao Sok advise on whether they saw many spiders in the bedrooms and bathrooms? I know it's a bit of a stupid question, as you're in the rainforest so there will obviously be lots of creepy crawlies. The problem is that my boyfriend has a terrible phobia of spiders and is having second thoughts about going to Khao Sok because of this. He won't have a problem with spiders out in the rainforest, or the odd one in the room (which I will have to remove!). However if there are lots of spiders in the rooms he will completely freak out! Does anybody know if the rooms are sprayed with insecticide to try and stop bugs coming in?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Khao Lak Land Discovery
Khao Lak Land Discovery
681 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,413 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Khao Sok and Ko Similan

It is a very tight itinerary and you will not get much value from the accommodation in Khao Sok, where it will be about 8 - 9pm I would think by the time you arrive there. Similarly you will see little of Khao Lak or your accommodation there , basically just two evenings there, so you don't need expensive accommodation.

As for spiders it will be our first overnight in Khao Sok this year so I can't comment but hopefully others will.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Khao Sok and Ko Similan

It will be a busy several days, but that's how we did our first trip ( and soon our second trip) too, lol. We go go go, and then spend the last few days relaxing. So, what you are doing is definately doable.

As far as Khao Sok goes, I too have a phobia for spiders... and for most creepie crawlies period. I expected to be freaking out about bugs the whole time we were there. So imagine my surprize when I did not see a single spider!! The bathroom at art's had a few ants. Other than that, the only bugs we saw were some carpenter bees at Art's, and some regular bees at the floating rafthouses ( yes, I was scared of those.. i'm anaphylactically allergic lol). We did see lots of monkey though! At Art's, make sure you have all your belongings in your suitcase ( and we put ours on the bed and under the mosquito netting for good measure). Those monkeys are sneaky and found a way into our room under the roof overhang and chewed on my toothpaste lol. Ask Kris/Sue to get you either one of the new treehouses at Art's, or treehouse A, B or C .

Also at the floating bamboo rafthouses, ask them to see if they can get you a room nearest the bathroom along the outer edge. It's set up like |_______| . THe rooms on the sides are newer.

You will love Khao Sok. :) The rafthouses were the highlight of our trip!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
Manchester, England
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Khao Sok and Ko Similan

Thank you both for taking the time to post!

I'm still really torn - I want to go to Ko Similan but would love to have a bit longer in Khao Sok too. Maybe I should just flip a coin and be done with it!

That's reassuring that you didn't see any spiders! I know we can't guarantee there won't be any but it doesn't seem like the place is plagued with them.

Thanks for the tips about which rooms to take too and the monkey warning! They sound like cheeky devils - I can't believe they like toothpaste!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Khao Sok and Ko Similan

Well you could do what we did.. Khao Sok for our first trip.. then our 2nd trip which is next month, we added 3 more days on and are hitting up the Similians and then Khao sok again lol. :D If you're like me, and many others, Thailand gets in your blood.. and you'll want to go back again. :)

Mentioned in this post
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
5. Re: Questions about Khao Sok and Ko Similan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2010, 09:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak