We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food at Le Meridien and Shangri La!

perth
Level Contributor
701 posts
13 reviews
Food at Le Meridien and Shangri La!

Hi There,

My Husband and I are going to Khao Lak and Bangkok next year for our 10th Wedding Anniversary and are staying at LM KL and the Shangri La in Bangkok. I was reading the Bangkok forum posts and there is one about street food saying it is safer that 5 star hotel food. Iam a bit worried as we want to try different food and that includes eating in the hotels we are staying in! We have paida lot of money for our special holiday and am now concerned that we will be worrying about what we eat. Someone also posted that they have never seen a Thai person wash their hands after going to the toilet. If anyone has any advice I would appriciate it.

Regards

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Food at Le Meridien and Shangri La!

First, I must say that Thais are more fastidious about personal hygiene than any westerner, and I have seen plenty of westerners who don't wash their hands after visiting a toilet. Thais sometimes won't sit next to a foreigner on a bus or train because they think they are smelly.

The food in top end hotels is usually quite safe to eat, generally quite tasty but some hotels re-heat food for buffets and that is what can cause stomach problems. Street food is freshly cooked and cheap.

I think you are worrying about nothing :)

perth
Level Contributor
701 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Food at Le Meridien and Shangri La!

Thank You for your reply. Its our first visit to Thailand and we are really looking forward to it and the food!!

Thanks again

Oudendijk, The...
Level Contributor
878 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Food at Le Meridien and Shangri La!

Hi Scotts thistle

Just get stuck in and stop worrying.

Manicus

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: Food at Le Meridien and Shangri La!

Been to both the Sjhang and Le M and you are in for a treat at both. You are also in for a treat eating locally, whether that is street food (more choice in Bangkok) or local restaurants (great choice in both Bangkok and Khao Lak, especially on the beach in KL).

You don't mention when you will be in Thailand as the season (Dry Season November to April, Wet Season May to October) will determine in Khao Lak what options are open to you. If you haven't already have a look at this link to FAQs about where to eat in Khao Lak tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297914-c120557/Kha…

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
5. Re: Food at Le Meridien and Shangri La!

Hi, ScotsThistle,

I can certainly assure you that i have never had a problem with any food or restaurant in and around Khao Lak when dining and that is in out of the way places as well and street food. The food at the LM is wonderful and i have never ever suffered a dicky tummy. You will have a lovely time when you go and thai people are very clean with hygiene.

Julie

perth
Level Contributor
701 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Food at Le Meridien and Shangri La!

Thank You all for your help and advice. Feel a bit silly now for worrying!! We will be there end March so not too long to wait!!!

Regards

7. Re: Food at Le Meridien and Shangri La!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2010, 09:49
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations