We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak information required & Hotel recommendations

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Khao Lak information required & Hotel recommendations

I have been looking at photos of the beaches people have taken around Khao Lak on TA and it looks lovely. Just wondering what else is around there in terms of shopping, eating out, mini mart etc. Any feedback would be great. Also what accommodation would suit family with teenagers.

Many thanks.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak information required & Hotel recommendations

If you look under the Top Questions about Khao Lak on your top right on the Forum, there are links to Inside Pages and Travellers Tips that I'm sure will answer most of your questions, particularly in relation to things to in and around Khao Lak.

Have a look at these two sites also for more information, particularly accommodation options:

http://www.khaolaklovers.com/ (have a look at the map on this site and the link to the latest independent one to locate the various beach areas, resorts and other facilities on them)

and

http://khaolak.de/khaolakbeach/home.htm (a German site but English version too.)

There is a range of accommodation to suit all needs, bungalows being popular with families as they tend to be cheaper than hotel rooms and you could rent a separate one for your teenagers, giving you both more independence for a family holiday.Perhaps if you give us an idea of your budget and when you are thinking of visiting members may be able to advise better.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak information required & Hotel recommendations

Hi Holidaylover...!!

Which suburb are you at in Sydney...??..

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Lak information required & Hotel recommendations

I live in the Hills District - near Castle Hill.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao Lak information required & Hotel recommendations

Thankyou...I am in Balgowlah near Manly...

Just thought we could catch up but we are quite a bit away from each other...

I was in Khao Lak in July/August for a month...

Let us know when you will be travelling to Khao Lak to guage accomodation prices....

Khao Lak has a high and low season and prices vary up to and more than double depending which season you go...??...So,it depends on your budget...!!??..

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao Lak information required & Hotel recommendations

Will be travelling in April 2010 and thought it might be a nice change from spending so much time in Patong(been 3 times need a change). With regards to hotel has to be walking distance to retaurants, mini mart etc, nice buffet breakfast to keep the teenagers happy, very clean rooms (around 4 star).

Also a nice beach would be great - stayed Le Meridien for a few days this year and it was perfect.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Khao Lak information required & Hotel recommendations

In April, some on-line agents and/or resorts have different times for changing their rates from High Season to Low Season which can mean a significant reduction giving you the option of saving money or booking a higher grade of accommodation. Some keep High Season rates until the end of April, others until the middle of the month after Songkran and the busy Easter period. So it pays to look carefully at various booking agencies or resorts direct to see which fit with your planned dates.

"With regards to hotel has to be walking distance to restaurants, mini mart etc, nice buffet breakfast to keep the teenagers happy, very clean rooms (around 4 star)." - to meet these criteria, probably Bang Niang would offer you the best options with La Flora, the Ramada, Mukdara all 4* and directly on the beach front, or the Sudala Beach Resort, restaurant, bar and loungers on beach front, accommodation at the rear across a not busy road.

All are within easy walking distance of restaurants and shops (inc mini-marts).

Bang Niang is a long beach, perfect for walking and great sunsets.

Nang Thong Beach is down the highway from the main township of Bang La On but although it has a range of beach front accommodation there isn't the same selection of independent restaurants and bars and the shops are a bit further away. The Baan Khao Lak or Nang Thong Bay Resort are two popular resorts that carry regularly good reviews.

Also a nice beach would be great

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Khao Lak information required & Hotel recommendations

Similar to yourself...I have stayed at Patong 5 times since 2004 and thought the change might be good...

Let me say that the change to Khao Lak is well worth it...In fact,you might not want to go back to Patong after the Khao Lak experience...Maybe..??..

You will notice the lack of tuk tuks,bargirls,timeshare scratchys,jetskis,Restaurant hawkers beckoning you in to eat,crowds and pesky Indian tailors...Oh there are Indian tailors but they aint pesky..??...

We stayed at Nang Thong Bay Resort for 2 weeks as Arandora has mentioned...I highly recommend..!!

Khao Lak is a lot quieter than Patong,but believe me,you won't get bored...It is a special place..!!

8. Re: Khao Lak information required & Hotel recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2010, 09:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations