We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scooter hire in Thailand

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
172 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Scooter hire in Thailand

hi

just wandering what the law is for scooter hire eg: license, minimum age, insurance etc, we will be in Chiang Mai, Khao lak, Koh lanta and Koh Samui.

my 17yr old son will be with us and want to know if he can have his own scooter?

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scooter hire in Thailand

Hi,

Have a look at this recent thread. I think it answers most of your queries.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

There are certainly 17 years old - and younger! - driving scooters. Whether that is legal hopefully someone will confirm. Whether it is advisable I'd recommend you observe driving conditions and habits where you are staying before you decide.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scooter hire in Thailand

Hear hear Arandora.!!..

And a motorcycle riding skills course at home would'nt go astray neither....

Highly recommend your son does a ridng skill course before attempting to ride a scooter in Thailand...

This will help him no end and in turn teach him to ride defensively...

Mentioned in this post
3. Re: Scooter hire in Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2010, 11:48