We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pool Villa in Khao Lak

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Pool Villa in Khao Lak

Hi everyone,

I am almost about to book a pool villa at Khao Lak Merlin.

Has anyone stayed there recently in the pool villa?

It's for a honeymoon so want it to be special.

Can you also let me know what other pool villas you have stayed in around this area and what the cost was?

We are going at the end of november so unfortunately the prices are up there!

Thanks so much for any replies.

Mel

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pool Villa in Khao Lak

Hi Mel

I have not stayed in a pool villa at KL Merlin but have stayed at the Merlin.

I was quite dissappointed with the look of the pool villa - they look quite dated and they were not private at all.

I personally think the Merlin is a great family hotels but not "special" for a honeymoon.

We stayed at a pool villa at The Sarojin and while it was lovely I don't think it was worth the extra over the garden villa.

There are quite a few places in KL that have pool villa so I am sure some one can suggest something else. Or disagree with my opinion of the Merlin

Good Luck

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pool Villa in Khao Lak

Hi Mel,

At the request of a TA member who was going to stay in a pool villa at the Merlin I took some photos for her which you can view at picasaweb.google.co.uk/Arandora/MerlinVillas…

Unfortunately they were all booked so I couldn't look inside. They referred me to their website. They are on the right hand side of the Merlin frontage and so are adjacent to the Emerald next door but separated by a wall. They are not completely private so nosy parkers (like me) can come up and peer over at their pools but I don't think anyone would if they were in use. You can't see inside them from outside. There is quite a distance between them and the first lot of loungers on the grass frontage (no loungers on this beach - the only one strictly observing the National Park rules!)

In comparison with the other pool villas I am familiar with in Khao Lak at Le Meridien and the Khao Lak Resort, they are certainly bigger than at Le M and at least as big as those at the KL Resort. They are as private as the Le M which now have some not so pretty vegetation between them and the beach but more so than at the KL Resort where the pool is on the patio directly facing and near the beach.

Hope this helps.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pool Villa in Khao Lak

Hi Aussieange. When did you stay at merlin? I was under the impression these pool villas were newly built after the tsunami.

Thanks so much for your help!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pool Villa in Khao Lak

Thankyou so much for the pics, they really give a different impression.

They certainly are not as privite as I'd hopes for a honeymoon!

Hmmm. This is so hard, especially since we want it to be just perfect for our honeymoon.

The cheapest rooms as the Sarojin were 15,000B per night at the end of November. I know it must be amazing, but that is really quite a lot for us.

I might check out Le Meridien and the other one you mentioned.

Is Khao Lak really great? We chose it from some recommendations on forums, and also for the snorkelling/diving in the Similans.

Would have considered Krabi/Railay but I fear it's going to be way too crowded and touristy.

Thanks so much again for your replies.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pool Villa in Khao Lak

We stayed at Merlin KL Xmas 2007.

Have a look at La Flora - look really nice.

I think KL is much nicer than Krabi IMO. perhaps Koh lanta or Villa Royale in Kata.

What is your budget - and I will give you some options.

Merlin is NOT a honeymoon destination

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pool Villa in Khao Lak

Thanks aussieange.

Budget would be between 7-12,000B per night.

I've been quoted rooms at the Ramada for about 7000B. The 12K was for the pool villa but i am really put off the Merlin now.

What I really dont want is to feel like i am in a massive hotel with millions of people, and especially dont want to share my honeymoon with loads of peoples children screaming around the pool.

Love kids as I do, this is not the time...haha

Hope to hear from you again.

Railay does look pretty good, but i am confused at what hotels are on what beaches.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pool Villa in Khao Lak

Have a look at the latest map to locate where resorts are in relation to the various beaches.

http://www.khaolakmap.com/

I have to say that none of the pool villas or indeed villas directly on the beach that I have seen in Khao Lak are completely private, except perhaps for those at the Sarojin but, as you have recognised, they come at a hefty premium and I recall an earlier poster saying that they were not completely private. The beachfront at the Sarojin too is now more restricted than previously because of the new bungalow resort that is being built next door.

The beach villas at Le Meridien, furthest away from the resort are quieter than the rest and I think would afford you a lovely setting for a honeymoon. Although its a family hotel Le M has a separate pool for and wing for families and children. The pool villas there are private in that they are enclosed within walls with only a small plunge pool and this would become a sun trap at peak times, so beware!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pool Villa in Khao Lak

Mel,

See PM I have sent to you with another option.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pool Villa in Khao Lak

Hi Mel

We are off to Northern Thailand tomorrow so can't help any more. I am sure Alan can lead you in the right direction.

Just think about why you want a pool villa - is it worth it? We had the most fantastic time at the Sarojin and I would go back in a heart beat in a garden villa.

If you want privacy you could look at Sal Phuket - but it did not grab me - too private.

Anyway have a great time and I look fforward to hearing where you have booked.

Ange

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pool Villa in Khao Lak

Hi Ange,

We are working on it! Have a great time. See you December?

Alan

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations