We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Front Bungalows

UK
Level Contributor
996 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Front Bungalows

Hello - new to this forum

After dreaming for a few years it looks that I might get to Khao Lak finally in March next year. Currently planning on staying 5 days here and 5 in Phuket.

I would like a beach front bungalow if possible but am slightly concerned that some might not be that private. Could anyone comment re this and Nang Thong Bay Resort in particular? Any other suggestions. We would like to be able to snorkel from the beach ( part of the reason for looking at NTBR ) and walk to a variety of restaurants etc.

Thank you

UK
Level Contributor
996 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Front Bungalows

Unfortunately a beach front bungalow is n/a at NTBR when we wish to stay.

If we stay at a place that is away beach front can we hire beds at the edge of the beach at Nang Thong

Also can anyone comment on the difference between NTBR 1 & 2.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Front Bungalows

I don't think you will have any privacy problems with the beach front bungalows at the NTBR. All the beaches in Khao Lak are public and beach walking is ver popular. However, unlike some other areas where the accommodation is right up to the beach and susceptible the "interested" walkers having a look as they pass, that at the NTBR is set back a bit but like most of beach front property they are not completely private.

There is snorkelling from the beach around the rocks near the NTBR but it is limited as there is no off-shore reef. You can, though, go on a half-day snorkel by longtail boat from nearby along the beach to an island near to Tab Lamu (where the coral is begiinning to regenerate and marine life return after the Tsunami), the starting point for the Similan Islands which is a world class snorkelling and diving site.

You are ideally placed to walk to restaurants nearby and up the road to the centre of Bang La On where most of the restaurants, bars and shops in KL are located.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Front Bungalows

Hi buzze,

Sorry for cross posting and that the accommodation you want is not available. As far as I am aware if you stay in a garden bungalow at the NTBR there will be free loungers available to guests of the resort overlooking the beach. I'm sure the reort will confirm this if you Email them.

As for NTBR 2 this is a more recent addition just a few hundred metres down the beach nearer to where Nang Thong Beach crosses over to Sunset Beach. You can still access Bang La On restaurants and shops easily but nearer to the start of the town than the centre. The accommodation is very much the same, only newer.

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
703 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Front Bungalows

Sun lounge beds are on the property of the NTB not on the beach.

UK
Level Contributor
996 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Front Bungalows

Thanks guys. Sounds like NT 1 may be the right place for us.

Re sun beds - Sorry my post was not clear, what I was wondering was that if we opted to stay away from the beach ie Bhandari or similar would we be able to hire sun loungers at the beach ? ie do bars etc do this ? I understand that there are no sun loungers directly on the beach but my days of lying on a towel on the beach are long gone:)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Front Bungalows

Hi Buzze,

We stayed at NTBR in July/August this year...Tho' we stayed in a garden bungalow...Kev and Jules stayed in beach bungalow...

I can totally recommend a garden bungalow...It is very private as we were surrounded by a virtual jungle of beautiful plants...We also had a TV which we made use of...And both Beach and garden bungalows have an outdoor style shower...great for showering during a tropical shower...

Garden Bungalows are about 30 second walk past beach bungalows to beach...

Ask for a deal and ye shall might receive..!!

There are no beach chair/beds for rent..!!

The resort provides such for their patrons only...

March could be the beginning of the swell...so snorkeling might be a problem on Nang thong Beach..??..Worth a try tho'...!!

The restaurant is ok..Cheaper up on main road tho'..!!

Nang Thong Bay Resort is great...I'd go back..!!

Perth
Level Contributor
583 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Front Bungalows

G'day Buzze,

Stayed at NTBR the same time as Cocotang and KevlovesJules. I took my snorkelling gear and tried a couple of times around the light beacon in front of NTBR. The water was too stirred up with visability only a few feet. I would suggest it would need to be very calm for a couple of days for the snorkelling to be any good. March may be better than August.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach Front Bungalows

buzze,

There aren't any independent restaurants/bars on Nang Thong Beach and I'm not sure whether the NTBR or other resorts such as the Baan Khao Lak a bit further down rent loungers to non-guests. The nearest place on Nang Thong Beach where certainly you can hire loungers is up past the Bhandari, which is across the beach road, then right,past the Andaman Bungalow Resort. Walk around a small headland and there is a lovely little sheltered cove with rocks (limited snorkelling) and just one bar/restaurant that hires loungers. It's only a 10 minute stroll. Walk past there and there are some smaller bars that do also. Then you come to an inlet that probably in March will be running pretty full so you will have to catch the "ferry" across - two Thai lads push you across on a home made raft for 10 baht! The other side is Bang Niang Beach where you have a choice of about three good beach restaurants/bars with loungers (free if you eat there) and massage places. Plenty more further up on Bang Niang Beach.

UK
Level Contributor
996 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach Front Bungalows

Thanks to all of you for the really useful info, given me lots to consider.

If we take the snorkelling from the beach out of the equation, maybe we should also look at accomodation at Bang Niang and elsewhere. Although it is not absolutely essential we were really hoping to stay beach front.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach Front Bungalows

There are beach front bungalows at the Andaman Resort that I mentioned - see http://www.khaolakandaman.com/ - restaurant but no pool.

We stay in Bang Niang just back from the beach and when we are using that beach use varioius places on it nearby using loungers that are hired or free if you have a meal or a drink.

Have a look at the accommodation in Bang Niang here khaolak.de/khaolakbeach/eBangNiangBeach.htm a German site but with an English version.

See if there's anything that appeals and ask for more information.

Regards

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak