We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non Qualified to Scuba In Similans

UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Non Qualified to Scuba In Similans

Hi,

Heading to Khao Lak so that we can visit the Similans. 6 of us are non-qualified, but would like to try scubaing out. 1 of us is qualified and 1 of us only wants to snorkel.

I have found Similan Diving Safaris to be able to cater for all of our levels and accommodate us on the same boat for a day trip. Which is just what we want.

However, I haven't really been able to find any reviews of Similan Diving Safaris. Has anyone been on a day trip with them before? What did you think?

We have been quoted 5,300 for the diver, 5,500 for the newbie scuba-ers, and 2,600 for the snorkeller. Are these about the norm?

Thanks for any help you can give, or a recommendation for another company who can also cater for our needs would be grand too.

Gen

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Non Qualified to Scuba In Similans

Hi Gen,

I can't comment on Similan Diving Safaris or on diving as I'm only a snorkeller and have done day trips to the Similans with Khao Lak Land Discovery and 2 night trip to Surins with Kuraburi Greenview. However, the 2,600 baht for the snorkeller does seenm high compared with the prices being offered when we left Khao Lak in April.

Have a look at this link to a German site which has a comprehensive list of Dive Centres in Khao Lak with links to their websites, many in English.

http://www.mykhaolak.de/divecenter.html

london
Level Contributor
987 posts
125 reviews
2. Re: Non Qualified to Scuba In Similans

Hi there

I dived with SDS in February of this year and found them to be absolutely top-notch. The day trip is lovely, you get a beautiful lunch , lots of fruit and water.

They do take non-qaulified divers to the Similians as they say , but you do the first try dive off the beach , where there are plenty of fish and lovely coral.You are also safe there as it's sheltered and your DM can get you out of the water if anything goes wrong. I seem to remember that some poeople on the discover SCUBA diving day who did so well on their first dive off the beach went dowm with the rest of us divers in the afternoon.

I did three day trips with SDS with a private guide as my hubby was unable to come with me to Thailand and this worked out really well. I dived alone with Kit, a great Thai lady, and her husband Stefan also a DM took another group. Both were incredibly lovely and patient.

The price was more or less what I paid for the trip.

PM me for any more info.

3. Re: Non Qualified to Scuba In Similans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2010, 12:46