We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

volunteer work in khao lak

UK
Level Contributor
251 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
volunteer work in khao lak

I will be going to this area to do some voluntary work in October. Does anyone have any handy tips for me before I get there. I am on a budget so maybe cheap but good places to eat or places to avoid!! Also what is there to visit or do during my free time. Many thanks

Siam Turmeric
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Seafood, Fast food, Deli
Pam's Restaurant & Bar
₹, Seafood, Asian, Thai
Ben's Restaurant
₹, Pizza, Seafood, Italian
Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: volunteer work in khao lak

Hope that you understand that a work permit is needed even for voluntary work.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,789 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: volunteer work in khao lak

Hi,

As Dragon points out, under the Thai Labor law a foreigner needs a work permit for any work activity including those that are uncompensated...

**However, there are some exceptions to this law and you *may* qualify under one of these exceptions. I would strongly recommend you contact the charitable organization directly and inquire about this issue..

If you do require a work permit, you will need to obtain a non-immigrant visa from a Thai diplomatic post overseas (which requires documentation for the issuance) prior to your arrival and your "employer" will have to give you company documents to apply for your permit once you arrive in country.

Travel Safe,

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: volunteer work in khao lak

Have a look at this link about volunteering in Khao Lak http://amazingkhaolak.com/ and use it to make contact for information and advice. There are details of accommodation and different activities. Ken Hyde, the Head of English for the English teaching in Schools project (you don't have to be a teacher or have teaching experience) will provide you with the important information about accommodation, work permit, and, I'm sure, places to eat (including the Everyday Restaurant which is one of the project's meeting places). The amount of time you decide to put in will determine how much time you have for relaxation and exploration.

We have met many volunteers on this and other projects from different parts of the world so you will enjoy that interchange too.

I hope you are a good singer/musician as you will be expected to "do a turn" at the Open Mic nights at the Everyday if on when you are there. Just joking! They are great fun and we have seen and heard some very talented volunteers performing at the impromptu jam sessions.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: volunteer work in khao lak

Hi..!!...I surely aint no expert on Khao Lak as I have only been there once and returned just this month...

But I did notice cheap accomodation and asked about it....

There is cheap backpacker/dorm style accomodation at the rear of Tiffy's Restaurant/bar in Bang La On..

Accomodation is 180 baht/night and Tiffy's meals are nice and fairly reasonably priced as well...

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
UK
Level Contributor
251 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: volunteer work in khao lak

Thankyou for your info. Marie

6. Re: volunteer work in khao lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2010, 11:49
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak