We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak Longer Stays..??

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Khao Lak Longer Stays..??

I have just spent a wonderful 31 days in Khao Lak..Yes..!!...31...I had to pay 500 baht overstay fee..!!..Miscalculation and was it worth it..??...You bet...!!

However,I am interested in longer stays...60,90 or 120 days..!!??...Between June and September..!!

I was told of the Burma visa run while I was there...A good choice..??

And overland or air visa runs to get a better deal...??...

Purchasing a scooter would be an economical consideration as opposed to renting for the whole period...However,offloading your scooter or storage till I return creates that problem...Any ideas..??

Longer period accomodation I have found at either the housing behind Khuk Khak shops or the apartments above the shops(yellowish building)on Nang Thong Road which are owned by the supermarket...KevandJules found out that an apartment here starts at $100AUS/week...Interesting..!!..And I know of accomodation at Cape Pakarang but that's too far away...

Any other ideas on longer stay accomodation would be most appreciated...!!??...

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
144 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak Longer Stays..??

Regarding Visa:

Have a look at Thaivisa.com for more info. Overland Visa (The Visa Run to Ranong) gets you only 15 days! Better to obtain a tourist 60 or even 90 days visa in your homecountry and then get another one at a thai embassy or consulate around the region (Penang, KL, Lao, Cambodia, etc.) If you arrive by airplane you get 30 days VOA (visa on arrival- not a "real visa", but a stamp in the passport permitting you to stay 30 days), but not if you travel overland by bus or car. Again, have a look at thaivisa for more info.

Long term rent in Khao Lak can be cheap indeed (but most of the offered places do not have furniture). Long term rent means a year contract paid up front (starts at around 90.000 Baht per year). Furbished apartments or Bungalows are a bit more expensive on a monthly rent basis. Between 15.000 and 40.000 Baht per month. (e.g. a 2 bedroom apartment, completely furbished -TV, telephone, kitchen, aircon, living room, office room with desks, garden, etc.- can be rented for 30.000 Baht per month)

Motorbike: You can buy and register a bike in your name only when you have a legal residence permit (Non Immigrant Visa) and hold a work permit. Better ask a rental shop for monthly or even yearly rates. Monthly rent starts at around 3000 Baht per month (for an older bike).

Try to avoid overstay fines as they will be stamped in your passport and is not a positive thing if you plan to stay longer and repeatedly in Thailand.

All the best, Khao Lak is a very beautiful place to hang out a bit longer, I completely agree. :-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak Longer Stays..??

Fabulous and precise information...Thankyou Hualan..!!...

This has me reconsidering ways and means of spending more time in Khao Lak...

Monthly scooter rentals to think about now...

I knew about businesses paying a whole years rent in advance,but I did'nt know this also applies to housing rentals..!!??...

However,long term(1 year or more)does not apply to my wishes...

Back to the drawing board...!!...Thankyou...!!

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
144 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Lak Longer Stays..??

Can I expect some contact details for rentals in a local on-line newspaper soon?

Hope so.... ;-) I reckon you may refer to a project my brother and me are planing to get started for next year? (http://www.khaolak-observer.com/)

The thing is that Khao Lak is still sooooo small (and that has its beneficiary side) that any kind of online marketing is just developing. Last season we printed the Khao Lak Classifieds twice a month. Though the first reactions were very positive, interest in advertising dribbled away after three months.

So, to get the Khao Lak Observer started we depend on interested people (like you) to write something about Khao Lak. If anyone is interested, have a go and send us your comments, pictures, etc.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao Lak Longer Stays..??

Hi Cocotang....I feek your pain.

We just stayed at Khao Lak, our frst trip recently and although we stayed in a fantastic resort for the week we thought at the time that it would be good to return of a few months.

I will follow responses to your post as we could very well be neighbours in years to come :)

Cheers

Bob (and Janette)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao Lak Longer Stays..??

Thanks Bob and Janette...!!...Anny and I was in Khao Lak between July and August for a month and it still was'nt long enough....

We were thinking that it would be nice to spend a couple of months at least staying in Phuket,Khao lak and wherever else we felt like staying....

Funny you should say that Khao Lak was your first time....!!??...It was also our first time there,even tho' we gambled on staying a month if we had'nt liked the place....

Anyway,where we stayed @ Nang thong Bay Resort...We also met other couples who were also first timers to Khao Lak...and they all stated a definite return to Khao Lak one day....

I did meet people who are now living in Khao Lak indefinitely...However this does not help me with a 3 month stay...!!??....

6. Re: Khao Lak Longer Stays..??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2010, 10:55
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations