We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfing Khao Lak

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Surfing Khao Lak

Whilst I was in Khao Lak and was seen surfing certain spots.Fellow tourists were asking me where to rent a surfboard..??..For the benefit of any TA surfers travelling to Khao Lak,there is only one surf shop in Khao Lak.

Pakarang surf shop is down a side street off the main street in Ban Bang La On,about 50 meters north of Nang Thong supermarket on the same side of the street.

Lookout for a blue and white surfboard cutout stand on the side of the main road.

Do not be confused with a sign above a closed shop at Cape Pakarang.This is the former address.

If you wish to rent a surfboard and/or try surfing or learn to surf...The easiest waves can be had at The rivermouth beside Apsarus Resort/Cape Pakarang.

If transport is a problem,learning to surf can be attempted at Nang Thong beach,either just north or just south of the lighthouse...However,the beach here is slightly steeper than rivermouth and therefore breaks a little harder...

And guess what..??..You might be the only surfer/learner on the beach so don't worry about hitting anyone..!!

Khao Lak has some great waves to offer the intermediate/experienced surfer as well but that's another story..

Surfing khao Lak will enhance your holiday...!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: Surfing Khao Lak

Hi Acuminate,and thanks for asking...!!

The best time to surf in Khao Lak is between May and September...However,it is possible to surf in other months but May and September are mostly wave prevalent...

Surfboards can be rented off Matt @ Pakarang surfshop for 100 baht/hour I think..?..but he will do deals on more than an hour or daily rentals...

He also does surf lessons @ 1000 baht/hour...

It is your choice if you would like a surf lesson @ Nang Thong Beach(close to his shop) or Rivermouth/Apsarus...

However,if you choose Rivermouth,you will have to pay taxi/truck costs to and from Rivermouth...or provide transport....

Sorry...Don't know taxi/truck costs...!!??...

I have just returned from my first trip there and noticed many people renting Matt's boards...However,they did'nt have the first clue how to surf,let alone paddle a surfboard...

I do recommend at least one surf lesson to get you started...It's heaps of fun...!!

Queensland...
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
164 reviews
2. Re: Surfing Khao Lak

Hi Cocotang,

I enjoyed reading your posts while you were away.

We called into the surf shop at Cape Pakarang in January & they were asking a rental fee for a boogie board of 200baht per hour.

We asked the lady how much for a day rental & the reply was 200baht per hour. My husband thought that was too high so he went without.

Glad you enjoyed the surf in Khao Lak.

Cheers, CJ

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: Surfing Khao Lak

Hi CJ,Thankyou for your compliments...!!

I am sorry about your husband not getting a good daily deal for a boogie board..!!??...

I can only summise that because you were there in January(high season)That they rented out boogie boards constantly during high season and employed the 200 baht hourly fee maybe...??..

I noticed quite a few guys where I stayed renting his surfboards at a daily rate....

Matt actually moved his shop to Bang la On in June.

I always take 2 boards with me when I travel and this time was no exception.Meaning,I never have to rent a surfboard...So,I am sorry my calculations for surfboard rental is a bit off the mark(Low season prices..??)...It was only a guess anyway,as I did say.."I think..??"...

However,I am on the mark with Matt's lessons,(I hope)tho' it also depends where the lessons take place(at which beach)and for how many hours and how many lessons...!!...

Khao Lak is perfect for learning to surf...Easy gentle waves..!

Will you return to Khao Lak CJ..??..

Queensland...
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
164 reviews
4. Re: Surfing Khao Lak

No worries cocotang. We have arranged a overnighter for the 1st January 2010 driving up from Phuket.

We want to do the drive again from Khao Lak into Phangna Town. Spend more time having a sticky. CJ

5. Re: Surfing Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2010, 13:46