We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

apsaras beach resort hotel

Washington, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
25 reviews
apsaras beach resort hotel

Hi all,

Me and my wife are visiting thailand in at the end of september and planning on staying in the apsaras hotel in Khal Lak.

I was wondering if any one has stopped here and would recommend it?

Also looking for some advice on what is around about within walking distance, local resteraunts, bars etc etc.

We will be hiring a car for most of our stay, and touring around.

any help\tips advice would be great

Many thanks.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
1. Re: apsaras beach resort hotel

Hi,

I have not stayed at this hotel but it is located with a few other resorts on Pakarang Beach just down from the lovely Cape Pakarang.Apart from the hotels restaurant and those in the other hotels you would find a few others if they have not closed for the green season near and on the highway. Otherwise it is 10 minutes by car to Bang Niang for bars,shops and restaurants or Bang La On a further 5 minutes.Here is a video i came across

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZObTK4TF16M

If you are touring around KhaoSok is a very lovely place to visit in the green season and also Phangnga Bay.

Julie

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: apsaras beach resort hotel

Hi,

The Asparas is one of a handful of "higher end" resorts located on Pakarang Beach. This area was extensively damaged in the Boxing Day 2004 Tsunami so the resorts are all new and in the case of the neighbouring South Seas Resort still being completed. The beach fronting the Asparas is very wide and in view of Cape Pakarang. Great beach walks both south to the beautiful Khuk Khak beach and north across the cape to the more beautiful Bang Sak Bay and Pak Weeb Beach.

There are beach restaurants on these beaches in the Dry Season (November to April) but I'm not sure about this locality in the green Season when you are planning on visiting.

However, as you are hiring a car you will have the flexibility to access many places within a relatively short driving distance. Bang Niang will be the first main township you reach about 15 minutes on the way south back down the highway where you will find plenty of resorts and a limited number of shops both on the highway and down the beach road (look for the 711 supermarket on the corner on your right). There is also a great local market just behind the 711 on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.

About 5 minutes further down the highway you will reach Bang La On which is the main township with plenty of restaurants, bars and shops.

Go north from Pakarang for about 30 minutes and you will reach Takua Pa, a large local town with daily indoor market and restaurants near the river. Carry further on for another half hour and you will reach the wonderful Khao Sok National Park.

Have look at our album of photos of Pakarang Beach taken between January and April this year at picasaweb.google.com/Arandora/PakarangBeach…

The first two photos are of the Asparas and the next 5 or 6 of the immediate beach area.

Have look at this thread which contains further information on KL generally and pics of v arious places of interest which I hope you find useful.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

Washington, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: apsaras beach resort hotel

Thanks all for the information, our main concern is on an evening if we wanted to go for a walk out on an evening for a cheap drink and a bite to eat outside the hotels we wont be able to.

As we prefer to eat in local places rather in hotel resteraunts etc.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: apsaras beach resort hotel

There are a couple of local restaurants just down the road opposite the Best Western Galleria that are not on the beach so not subject to the inclement beach conditions which usually is the main reason for closure in the Wet Season. However, not having been there at that time of year I don't really know.

However, again, I know a man who will (lives in KL) so I will make enquiries and post reply asap.

If you want to be more certain though of restaurants/bars within walking distance that will be open have a look at these links

http://www.khaolaklovers.com/

and

http://khaolak.de/khaolakbeach/home.htm

for resorts at either Bang Niang or Bang La On/Nang Thong.

Regards

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
144 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: apsaras beach resort hotel

Hi,

I am the guy Alan referred to as living in KL ;-)

I fear that the Restaurants on Laem Pakarang (around Apsaras, Takolaburi, Grand Sea Pakarang, Palm Galleria), are not open during the green season, but will open again around mid - end October. Though this said, when there are enough tourists coming to a certain beach area to make it viable to open again, I am sure the Restaurant owners will do. It depends if enough customers are around at the end of September already.

You might be lucky... if not, come to Bang Niang for some really good food and a night out, it's not too far from Apsaras, the beach walk will take just about 1,5 hours, or the faster Taxi, Car and Motorbike option.

Best regards

Alex

Washington, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: apsaras beach resort hotel

Hi Alex, thanks for the update,

sounds as though the are is going to be quite quiet when are planning to visit, last yeah we where in south Phuket the same time of year and every where was open.

But we are looking to visit a not so busy\tourist area – so maybe we will just have to chance it

Washington, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
25 reviews
7. Re: apsaras beach resort hotel

I have also looked at the La Flora resort, and read that this is possibly in a better location than the apsaras hotel for better access to the local bars and resteraunts?

would any one agree with this, and think we might be better to think about stopping in this hotel for the better localaty?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
8. Re: apsaras beach resort hotel

Absolutely.

La Flora is right on the beach at Bang Niang with restaurants on either side both on and overlooking the beach and on the side roads and main road upto the highway where there are more including the excellent Khao Niau (next to 711), Takieng (opposite 711), Hill Tribes (just down from 711 on the opposite side). There is an excellent Indian Restaurant, Chuller's, almost opposite La Flora and a great steakhouse, Marc's just past that.

Here's a link to a map to help you out

www.khaolakforum.de/index.php…

Some may be closed but most remain open and more have opened since this map was produced.

You are only a further 5 minutes by road to Bang La On, the main township where there are more restaurants, bars and shops.

Unless you want a very quiet, isolated stay, then Bang Niang will certainly be better for you and La Flora is an excellent resort with a good selection of room types. You should be able to get a great deal in September.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
9. Re: apsaras beach resort hotel

Hi,

The La Flora resort at Bang Niang would be more suited to your requirements.It is an excellent choice and is a very popular resort with good faciliities.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: apsaras beach resort hotel

Hi,

La Flora would suit your requirements nicely!

And from La Flora, within easy walking distance, for those nights when you don't want to drive because you want a few drinks with your evening meal, you can try The Lobster restaurant, owned by my friend Aoy. It's good Thai seafood. It's located on the right hand side of the road as you walk from La Flora back to the main road, about 80 metres from the main road (with the night markets directly behind it).

(from the markets, the only gap in the concrete brick wall along the northern side of the markets leads into the kitchen of The Lobster restaurant)

Regards,

Mike.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak