We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked with Agoda. Should i contact hotels to be sure?

Chester U.K.
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Booked with Agoda. Should i contact hotels to be sure?

Hi all.

I have always in the past been a travel agent type of guy. However, this year, i did my research on t'net, and picked out 6 hotels that i really liked the sound of, and also had high regard from the membership here.

So, i toddle off to the travel agent, trying to book my twin resort holiday.

" we can do this one, but not that one" was all i kept hearing.

I have compromised enough in past years, so i walked out and went home.

Didnt fancy booking online with the hotels direct, cos ive seen plenty of dodgy website scams reported, and thought an agent should be better.

Agoda did both hotels, and at a pretty tidy price. Booked em.

I now , unfortunately, have a tiny concern about everything falling into place properly for February 2010.

So . . . . . . .

Anyone who has used Agoda, good or bad, please let me know how you got on.

Thanks folks,

John

The Sarojin
The Sarojin
#1 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
X2 Khao Lak Anda Mani Resort
X2 Khao Lak Anda Mani Resort
#3 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
Khaolak Paradise Resort
Khaolak Paradise Resort
#5 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,789 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked with Agoda. Should i contact hotels to be sure?

Hi,

To be honest, it could only help you and not hurt you.. Plus, *if* there was a problem or misunderstanding wouldn't you rather get it resolved now versus upon your arrival when options may be more limited?

I'd give the hotel either a quick call, email or fax asking for verification of your reservations, any special requests noted and payment arrangements made..

Take this confirmation with you when you check-in a well..

Travel Safe,

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked with Agoda. Should i contact hotels to be sure?

I agree entirely with GOPBI. I've used AsiaRooms and found it very reassuring in the light of some adverse comments that company receives to contact the resort and confirm the reservation. In that way by establishing direct communication you can also, on the basis of reports or reviews of others who've stayed in the resorts you've booked, request particular rooms or make any special requests.

Which resorts have you booked by the way?

Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked with Agoda. Should i contact hotels to be sure?

I agree I would also check with the hotel then you can relax.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
413 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked with Agoda. Should i contact hotels to be sure?

Hi,

I have booked accommodation in Bangkok, Phuket & Australia using Agoda and I have never had a problem. I have also emailed the hotel direct to see if they had recieved our booking, which they did.

Happy holidays!

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked with Agoda. Should i contact hotels to be sure?

Hi John,

I have used Agoda in the past with no problem. I have to admit though i like to tie up any loose ends and always e mail the hotel to check that they do have the reservation and for the correct room type. It is also wise to take your confirmation from Agoda with you.

Julie

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,785 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked with Agoda. Should i contact hotels to be sure?

Never used Agoda, but many times Asiatravel.com and never yet had an issue. Oh and I didnt bothered contacting the hotel. I just re-confirmed with the booking agent a few days prior to make sure everything was in order.

Khaolak
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booked with Agoda. Should i contact hotels to be sure?

For the Agoda, when you complete your reservation, the reservation will be sent to the hotel very shortly. So you can check the reservation with the hotel on the next day.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booked with Agoda. Should i contact hotels to be sure?

Use Agoda often, never the slightest hiccup in Thailand or elsewhere.

It can't hurt to check, bearing in mind that "some" bookers take a block of rooms and (in case of cancellation) don't actually inform the hotel of the "guests names" until very close to the date.

Asiarooms partner in Europe (Kuoni) actually mention on their confirmation email text as follows;

"Your reservation will be held at the hotel in the name of "Kuoni".

The hotel will be given the name(s) of the guest(s) 3 days before the check-in date.

Therefore, if you contact the hotel before that time, the hotel will not be able to confirm that you have a reservation.

I'm not saying this is the same case for Agoda, but it's worth considering if you contact the hotel and they have no clue what you're on about.

Mentioned in this post
Bernay, France
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booked with Agoda. Should i contact hotels to be sure?

I always contact my hotels prior to our arrival no matter which internet travel agent I booked with. Last year I had a problem with www.hoteltravel.com as was aware when I called the hotel and they could not retrieve my reservation. I then called back hoteltravel hotline and it was sorted out and did not debit my creditcard. So you save time by checking before you leave.

Khaolak
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booked with Agoda. Should i contact hotels to be sure?

For Agoda, the reservation sent to hotel will have your name on it.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak