We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak October activities

Gdynia
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Khao Lak October activities

We plan on 2 week trip in the first half of October this year. looking at the various reviews I noticed they mentioned this being the low season and many places are closed and tours are non-available. Can anyone elaborate on these: is it possible to find/buy trips of the local attractions (national park excursions, safari, snorkeling, scuba diving etc) during October or is everything closed? are local town and beach restaurants and bars open or again closed due to low season? is it possible to do anything when it rains (move about, bike, trekk etc)or does one get flooded? it would be pity to fly half way around the workd to have to stay in your hotel room all the time for lack of things to do or because of the rain. any hints please? Jarek

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak October activities

Hi Jakub,

I replied to your similar question on another post so I'll repeat it here as I think it covers most of your points.

Early October the restaurants and shops that closed down earlier will start opening up, freshening up and getting ready for the "flood" (they and we wish) of visitors from November onwards.

As for tours. The Similan and Surin Islands close until the beginning of November but that does not stop ocean based snorkeling and diving tours being organised as long as weather conditions permit. You can only find that out for certain when you arrive. Other tours to such as Khao Sok National Park operate, some saying they are better at the time of year you are considering as the rivers will be full and flowing and a raft ride down (or is it up?) the Sok will be more exciting than one in the Dry Season when sometimes the boatman has to get out and push!

If you are staying at La Flora, don't worry there will be plenty of restaurants open within walking distance. The ones on the beach there to the left of La Flora just past the Ramada are some of the few that remain open during the Wet Season as the beach is at its widest there.

Have a look at this site for a promotion called Khao Lak Activ which offers activities in the Green Season.

www.khaolakaktiv.net/english/index.html

It also shows some of the places that stay open at that time.

I doubt whether you will stay in your hotel room more than you need to!

Regards

Mentioned in this post
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,216 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
1,135 Reviews
Surat Thani, Thailand
La Flora Resort & Spa
La Flora Resort & Spa
1,141 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Oudendijk, The...
Level Contributor
878 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak October activities

Hi JakubGdynia

I would have loved to have contributed, but I think Andora has said it all, have fun.

Manicus.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Lak October activities

Sorry manicus,

Too quick on the reply button or too little to do. :)

Regards

Alan

Oudendijk, The...
Level Contributor
878 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao Lak October activities

Hi

I thought i had heard the the Surin and similian Island opend early last year, but maybe that was from the 15th Nov to the 1st Nov, but like you said it depends on the weather conditions and how rough the sea is. Jakub if you do get a terrential downpour whilst at your hotel take a swim in the pool, i find nothing more refreshing.

Manicus.

Mentioned in this post
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,216 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Gdynia
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao Lak October activities

Hi Arandora,

thanks for your comprehensive reply. I saw you have plenty of other posts that I read prior to this so I felt pretty well informed anyway. Nevertheless appreciate it. I was looking forward to the Islands and diving there, but maybe as ou write someone will be open if the weather is ok. thanks again.

Jarek

Gdynia
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Khao Lak October activities

Hi Alan,

thanks for your reply but am uncertain about the point re the Similian Islands. you wrote that these are closed until the beg of November (I guess this also applies to the Surin Islands?) but that this does not stop ocean based operators from organizing snorkeling or scuba excursions weather permitting. does this mean that despite the closure of the islands oficially one can still go there and snorkel/scuba dive if we find a tour guide to take us there - again weather permitting of course? if so, who are the best to contact on such matters - we have diving licenses Open Water diver and would def love to dive in those waters too having seen the wonders in other parts of the world already. can you please elaborate on this?

rgds Jarek

Mentioned in this post
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,216 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Khao Lak October activities

Hi jarek,

What I mean about the islands being closed is that you cannot land on them. During the rest of the year yours that go to the Similans stop off at "Duck Island" for sightseeing and at another part for lunch. Similarly tours to the Surins stop off on the island for lunch. Overnighters stay on the islands in tents or bungalows.

During the Wet Season when they are closed, weather permitting, tours still go but you cannot land on the islands. Snorkelling/diving will be from the boat and lunch on board.

Because tours going out will depend on the weather conditions at the time I would wait until you are in Khao Lak and go to the Dive Shops in Bang La On or any near your resort.

There is a comprehensive list of them on this German site.

http://mykhaolak.de/divecenter.html

Having diving certificates I think you are better qualified than I am to determine which are best. I'm just a part-time snorkeller! :)

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
8. Re: Khao Lak October activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2010, 12:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak