We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegan eating.

Chester U.K.
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Vegan eating.

Looking to book the Khao Lak Orchid for February 2010.

This will be my 4th Thailand adventure, and my partners 2nd.

2 years ago we did Phuket, and had absolutely no problem finding places who would accomodate her eating preferences. Many places would simply adapt their menu to suit.

Can the same be said for Khao Lak?

She is Vegetarian, Vegan, and errors towards Cealiac.

Also, is Soya milk easily obtainable in Khao Lak?

Would hate to have to fetch a case full with us from UK. hehe.

Thanks for any replies.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Phuket Orchid Resort & Spa
Phuket Orchid Resort...
763 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegan eating.

Could you give an idea of the kind of meals adapted for her in Phuket? I would be very surprised if the same can't be done in Khao Lak.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,785 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegan eating.

Soi Milk - available most places such as 711 and Family Mart at the very least.

Oudendijk, The...
Level Contributor
878 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegan eating.

Hi Astra

Im not a meat eater myself however I do eat fish and shellfish and I had no problems in Khao Lak food wise. Whilst staying at Le Meridian last December we befriended a couple from South Afrika who were vegans they had no problems with breakfasts at the hotel (buffet style lots of fruit) though in the begining found it difficult finding a restaurant in Khao lak town that had vegan recipes (some of the vegetarian dishes contained fish sauce etc) but they did find an Indian restaurant serving very good vegetarian dishes, sorry I dont know the name of the restaurant but maybe Arandora knows some Indian restaurants in Kl.

regards

Manicus.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegan eating.

Hi Astra/Manicus,

At last time of counting (April) 3 Indian Restaurants in Khao Lak.

Mr.India is just on your left as you enter the main township of Bang La On as you drop down the highway from over the mountain just opposite KHao Lak Plaza, a big yellow building.

Mrs. India (same family) on your left as you leave Bang La On towards Bang Niang and just past the Happy Snapper.

- both very good run authentic Indian food with Indian owners.

Inders Chuller in Bang Niang. Turn left on the Beach Road down from the highway and turn left opposite Pinoccio's Pizzeria. It's just down on your left opposite the entrance to La Flora.

- authentic Indian with imported spices, excellent cuisine and out of the ordinary (for an Indian) menu with specials also. Soime of best Indian meals I've enjoyed anywhere!

There's another just before Pinoccio's on the same side in the former Sports Bar but local owned and not per my local contacts as authentic.

The Khauo Niau, Takieng and Hill Tribes Restaurants, all in Bang Niang, are excellent and have quite lengthy veggie selections on their menus. All thre are personal and attentive service so I'm sure would be able to cook to your needs.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Happy Snapper
Happy Snapper
174 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
La Flora Resort & Spa
La Flora Resort & Spa
1,141 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegan eating.

we are vegetarians and do well in thailand ,it will be good to learn [no fish sauce] in thai or write it down.soya milk is widely available 6 or more differant types in 7 11 ,lovely stuff.and as said before many indian dishes are vegan and what looks like butter will almost certainly be a margarine as dairy products are not so common in thailand ,also you should ask in thai for no egg ,though they usually understand [no egg],by the way ,i know a good vegetarian restaurant in bangkok and even did a cookery course there if you are interested ..

Oudendijk, The...
Level Contributor
878 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegan eating.

Hi Arandora

Thanks for that info. Actually we tried to find the Indian restaurant the couple we had met went to but to no avail unfortunatly, we did eat at the Indian restaurant in le merid but was dissapointed i hasten to say, anyway I have noted your choices.

regards

Manicus.

Chester U.K.
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegan eating.

Thanks so much for all your replies. It is most reassuring for my partner.

I suspected it would be the same situation as in Phuket, whereby they can leave out the fish sauce, and any meat stuffs.

We do actually have a print out for small table signs Saying "I eat Vegan. I eat Vegetarian. No Fish Sauce, Please." in Thai language. It is very handy.

Any way, we booked it through Agoda this afternoon.

12 days at the Orchid, and 6 days at the Kantary Bay in Cape Panwa , Phuket.

Cant wait.

Thanks again to all of you.

Stay happy.

John

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Phuket Orchid Resort & Spa
Phuket Orchid Resort...
763 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Kantary Bay, Phuket
Kantary Bay, Phuket
1,406 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Cape Panwa
Cape Panwa
Phuket, Thailand
Melbourne
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegan eating.

Hi there,

Best place in Khao Lak for vegans: Boonyarit Kitchen!

My husband and I were staying at the Sarojin hotel (about 15 minutes out of Khao Lak) for our honeymoon.

I am vegan and my husband is vegetarian... We stumbled across Aek & Meaw at Boonyarit Kitchen (www.boonyaritkitchen.com) by accident, but were SO glad we did.

They are such lovely, welcoming, open people and they were completing accommodating of our dietary needs. They even offered a FREE cooking class (we just paid for what we ate)! I was thrilled - Kun Aek's Thai Green Curry and Pad Thai were seriously the best we had in Thailand and we loved learning from such a master.

We went back to eat at Boonyarit Kitchen several times during our week in the area and can honestly say I am a total RAVING FAN!!! (You might have noticed)

Regarding the soy milk - when they ordered it for me at the Sarojin, I was SHOCKED to find it had lactose or some other milk product in it! So just read the ingredients - I think the 7/11 in Khao Lak had soy - If you haven't tried the one with sesame in it, you have to - it is DIVINE!

Anyway, I just made do without soy for the time we were there. Pretty easy really! I ate stir-fries for breakfast! :)

Have a great time and tell Aek and Meaw that Renee and Ant from Australia say hi! :)

Renee

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
1,866 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegan eating.

yes read the ingredients on the various soya milks as some do have milk powder added ,there is also rice milk.all come in small cartons from the fridge ,cheap and nice.some you can buy in 5 packs out of the fridge for a bit cheaper..

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vegan eating.

An interesting new addition to the Khao lak restaurant scene. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for the link.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak