We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildlife Khao Lak

Dagenham
Level Contributor
282 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Wildlife Khao Lak

Hi my hubby and I are staying at Khao Lak resort in September and was wondering if anyone could tell us of some places to go to see some of the local wildlife. I know that the national park is right there but was wondering if there was anywhere else that you could recommend.

Thanks

Gill

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildlife Khao Lak

What do you mean by local wild life? There are various commercial elephant trekking sites, the nearest to you being back over the mountain towards Phuket with the Asia Elephant & Safari Park just on your right opposite the entrance to the Merlin. There's also a small zoo there.

The only natural wildlife I've seen has been a herd of buffaloes near the Boatyard Restaurant on Pak Weeb Beach, lizards of various sizes and colours in various locations, the odd snake crossing our path and beautiful birds both by the beaches and towards the mountain side.

An hour north at Khao Sok National Park a lazy raft ride on the river took us past, birds, frogs, snakes and other indigenous wildlife. Highly recommended.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Patong Merlin Hotel
Patong Merlin Hotel
1,847 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Boatyard
Boatyard
238 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
1,129 Reviews
Surat Thani, Thailand
Denmark
Level Contributor
4 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildlife Khao Lak

There sure is a lot of local wildlife.

We went one day to the Chong Fah waterfall, and climbed it. It is five-tiered, so it took us a while. There are many beautiful butterflies.

You get there by taxi. Be sure to have the taxi waiting, or arranging for the driver to pick you up there, as there are no taxis near by.

Khao Lak is a wonderfull place. Have a nice trip.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
3. Re: Wildlife Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2010, 11:49
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak