We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nang Thong Accommodation at Christmas

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Nang Thong Accommodation at Christmas

Am hoping to spend 7 nights in Nang Thong over Christmas period but am having no luck with accommodation. I stayed in the KL Countryside Resort once before (and loved it) but was hoping for something cheaper this time around (as husband and i will be at the start of a 10 month trip around SE asia and need our cash for diving..budgets a bit tight).

Any reccommendations? The Khao Lak Youth Club looks okay and has fan rooms for 700 THB. It claims to be in Nang Thong but i dont remember it?

Thanks.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nang Thong Accommodation at Christmas

Confusingly Nang Thong is usually more familiarly referred to as Nang Thong Beach with the town, the largest in Khao Lak, and just up the road on either side of the highway being Bang La On or just La On.

The Khao Lak Youth Club is at the rear of a new shopping plaza on the right just before you leave Bang La On towards Bang Niang. Built for such as backpackers the accommodation is pretty decent and good value and has more of a general appeal. It backs on to "jungle" so may be a bit "Buggy".

Other budget accommodation in Bang La On worthy of consideration is the Phu Khao Lak - see http://www.phukhaolak.com/ As well as no having new bungalows and a pool it has one of Khao Lak's best restaurants. It is on your right as you enter Bang La On as you come down over the mountain just before you reach a big yellow building called the Khao Lak Grand City.

In this plaza is the Khao Lak Grand City Hotel, again decent accommodation at budget prices - see http://www.khaolakgrandcity.net/

Details of these and other resorts in La On, Nang Thong Beach and other areas of Khao Lak to suit your budget at khaolak.de/khaolakbeach/eNangThongBeach.htm

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nang Thong Accommodation at Christmas

Thanks Arandora,

I've actually just heard back from Banana Bungalows. They've got air con rooms for 800THB . Have you heard anything about this place?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nang Thong Accommodation at Christmas

Yes. Been there a number of times. The restaurant there is a meeting place for a German Forum I am a member of at www.khaolakforum.de/index.php?page=Home The accommodation is very popular with forum members. It is cheap and cheerful, has a small pool and is in Bang La On set back about 5 minutes up a side road from the highway opposite the very nice Palm Hills Resort, not far the Khao Lak Grand City I mentioned earlier.

Plenty of photos at www.khaolakforum.de/index.php…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nang Thong Accommodation at Christmas

Yep, i think we'll go with this one. Thanks for your replys.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nang Thong Accommodation at Christmas

Might see yoi in KL as we will be there over Xmas.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nang Thong Accommodation at Christmas

Sounds good.

We'll be at Banana Bungalows from the 22 - 29th Dec.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nang Thong Accommodation at Christmas

Alan I thought you were going in Feb?? We are now confirmed 28/12-2/1, perhaps we can have that trip advisor get together. We had a wonderful time a couple of years ago on NYE with tripadvisors at Kata.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nang Thong Accommodation at Christmas

We are returning from 1st December to 16yth April so Julie and I will be offering some TA get togethers after those who could attend last time enjoyed them so much.

Watch this space!

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nang Thong Accommodation at Christmas

blimey MR.A. Four and a half months and i think i do well with hree weeks in october.........ENJOY

NORWICHBLUE1

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nang Thong Accommodation at Christmas

Ah but you're not a retired wrinklie like me! :)

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak