We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR - first time in Khao Lak

London
Level Contributor
55 posts
27 reviews
JBR – first time in Khao Lak

We stayed in Khao Lak in mid April as part of a 3 week trip which also included Bangkok and Siem Reap, Cambodia.

We loved it! We stayed at Le Meridien (mostly excellent, food disappointing, see separate report on the hotel). Pakweeb beach was amazing – it was so great that Le Meridien was the only hotel around, which meant that this really beautiful beach was so peaceful. We walked and walked along the beach for hours every day and loved that it was so deserted. The sand was fine and in the main, the beach was pretty clean. I’ve seen other reports complaining about the sea – it is true that it looks ‘muddy’ as the sand is churned up in it. However, we swam safely every day and got used to the water not being clear.

We had lunch every day at the Rim Lay (we’re creatures of habit). The staff were so friendly, the food was so great and we were very happy working our way down the menu. I’d recommend the prawns with chilli!

We took the hotel shuttle into Khao Lak a few times. There’s a great selection of shops and stalls to have a look at. In terms of restaurants, we had a very good meal at Bussaba (more excellent prawns) and also enjoyed the Viking Steak House as a break from Thai food (the potato gratin was to die for!!!!). But the culinary highlight for us was pancakes (Roti) from the stalls on the roadside. We went for banana and coconut filling, with chocolate sauce – wow, so scrummy! Don't miss them if you're there!

I’m afraid we didn’t travel around the area or do any day trips on this visit – we really wanted to just chill out. But I guess that means we’ll certainly have plenty of trips to do on a future visit to Khao Lak. Big thanks to those on the forum who helped with info before the trip (Alan in particular), so now just got the photos and video to keep us going until we can plan a return trip! Lally

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
1. Re: JBR – first time in Khao Lak

Hello Lally,

Glad you enjoyed your time in Khao Lak it is a great place to chill out. The mention of prawns in chilli and the scrummy pancakes are making my mouth water. I could not pass the pancake stall and not have one.

Julie

Manchester
Level Contributor
80 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: JBR – first time in Khao Lak

Hi Lally

My husband and I are planning to go to thailand for New Year but unsure where to stay. We have previously stayed at the regent beach at cha am which we love as it is a stroll away from bars and restaurants and shops in a very small village. We love this laid back way of life and arent into hustle and bustle of busy towns. We have looked at Khao Lak and are hoping it is similar to cha am. Your advice would be appreciated. Many thanks Jane

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: JBR – first time in Khao Lak

hi janeo1960,have also stayed at the regent many times and like you love the laid back style of the village.khao lak is very much in a similar vein,where you can have isolated hotels like le meridien (which we adore) and the apsaras to name a couple with the odd resaurant near by and easy to get into town like hua hin is;or you could stay in baing niang which is not over busy but has a bit more going on with a laid back feel.khao lak is a very good alternative to the cha am area and a million miles from a patong or pattaya with some stunning scenery and trips to make it a very worth while place to visit.

hope this helps or any more comparisons fire away and will do my best to help you.

please start another thread so as not to hijack this posting.

norwichblue1

Manchester
Level Contributor
80 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: JBR – first time in Khao Lak

Hi norwichblue1. Thanks so much for your help!!!!!

From what youve said i think we will enjoy Khao lak...just got to find a hotel now

5. Re: JBR – first time in Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2009, 11:04