We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak or Krabi??

Adelaide, south...
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Topic
Khao Lak or Krabi??

Hello!

Last year my boyfriend and I had a great holiday in Phuket and Bangkok but this year would like to experience another different part of Thailand.

Which would you recommend, Krabi or Khao Lak? Were are the beaches and scenery nicer? We are just going for a relaxing 1 week holiday with a bit of shopping and island hopping ofcourse.

Karmelek

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak or Krabi??

We have just arrived in Khao Lak and heading off to Krabi in a few days. So far from what we have seen, Krabi still remains one of our favorite places.

Fantastic scenery both above and below the waterline, great food and some shopping. Island day trips are economical and easily arranged. Just make sure you choose the right months for better weather.

We have pics, maps and stories of our trips here... www.bobandjanette.com that may help.

Happy & safe travels

Bob

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Adelaide, south...
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak or Krabi??

Hi Bob!

Thanks for your feedback. I have been on your website many times and I must say it helped me a lot planning my last trip last year.

Ok then, in thats case which beach would you say would be the nicest in Krabi in order to choose a hotel!

Im so jelous you are in Thailand. Have a great trip!

karmelek

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Lak or Krabi??

We're off there in a few day and will probably stay at Ao Nang. This gives you access to a bigger range of restaurants, shopping and clubs etc.

Best beach in the area is Railay, only accessible by a short longtail ride. Stay at Ao Nang, visit Railay for the day, and take in a few day snorkelling trips out to the islands.

Pure Bliss :)

Oh...and thanks for the comments, glad we were of assistance.

Mentioned in this post
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Railay Beach
Railay Beach
Krabi Town, Thailand
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao Lak or Krabi??

Hi Karmelek,

You mention Island Hopping and nicer scenery as plus points i would say Krabi is better for easy island hopping. From Khao Lak yopu have the Similan Islands and Surin which are superb but only open from mid November to Mid May. These are a few of my pictures taken during my recent island hopping holiday in Krabi where you have the Hong Islands, Phi Phi is easy to get to, Bamboo Island , Chicken Island, Poda Island, Tup Island, and of course Railay with the famous Phranang Beach only accessable by boat.

www.photobox.co.uk/albums/103923867

I find the scenery more dramatic in Krabi as it is breathtaking but Khao Lak has lovely beaches and beautifull places like Khao Sok National Park.What time of the year will you be traveling as some island hopping would be dependent on the sea conditions.

Julie

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,188 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Hong Islands
Hong Islands
1,352 Reviews
Krabi Town, Thailand
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
951 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Bamboo Island
Bamboo Island
2,944 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Poda Island
Poda Island
3,233 Reviews
Ao Nang, Thailand
Tup Island
Tup Island
1,510 Reviews
Ao Nang, Thailand
Railay Beach
Railay Beach
Krabi Town, Thailand
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
1,129 Reviews
Surat Thani, Thailand
5. Re: Khao Lak or Krabi??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2009, 11:47