We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Khao Lak suitable for a budget holiday

UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is Khao Lak suitable for a budget holiday

Hello members

Me and my partner will be travelling within Thailand for 1-2 months and she wants to go to a nice beach to relax. We do not want to go to a tourist area type beach as we went to Pattaya last year and people have recommeded Krabi and Khao Lak.

We will be travelling througout asia backpacking. So my question is, is Khao Lak an ideal place for us on a budget? From the Khao Lak map, i can see a long strip of beach with expensive hotel resorts.

Can anyone recommend a good budget accommodation.

Have long do members recommend staying at Khao Lak?

What is there to do in the evenings and nightime?

Regards

Mentioned in this post
Pattaya
Pattaya
Chonburi Province, Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Khao Lak suitable for a budget holiday

Hi,

Krabi and Khao Lak compared to Pattaya heavenly.Khao Lak is an ideal place on a budget do you have a budget in mind? You will find Khao Lak caters to all budgets. Have a look at www.khaolak.de also www.khaolaklovers.com .You will find bars and restaurants in Bang La On Khao Lak Town and also Bang Niang with shops and banks ect. I am sure we can recomend some places for you to look at if you can give us a bit more info on your budget per night.

Krabi i would suggest the Ao Nang area have a look at www.benshouseaonang.com .You can easily get from Khao Lak to Krabi and it is a lovely scenic route by road will take just under 2 hours max. You could quite easily fit in both Krabi and Khao Lak. Khao lak has fantastic beaches that you can walk for miles on and is more chilled out with some fantastic thai authentic restaurants. Krabi is beautifull and scenic and more touristy in Ao Nang with dramatic scenery. I love both places so allways go to both.

Julie

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Pattaya
Pattaya
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Khao Lak suitable for a budget holiday

"i can see a long strip of beach with expensive hotel resorts."

a long strip, yes. Over 20km of glorious beaches. Expensive hotel resorts? Khao Lak has expensive resorts but only a few high class (5*) resorts among the varied accommodation to suit all tastes and budgets. Bang Niang has probably the greatest range of accommodation ranging from 4* Ramada, Mukdara, La Flora to backpacker type accommodation like the Amsterdam Resort. We fell in love with Khao Lak when we stayed at bthe 5* Le Meridien on Pak Weeb Beach but when we decided to stay long term after wev both retired we found the delightful2* Cousin Resort which, like other bungalow resorts, is great value for money.

As Julie has suggested give us an idea of your daily budget for accommodation and when you plan to visit and we can probably give some more specific assistance.

Khao Lak is quite laid back, certainly compared to Pattaya with evening entertainment mainly being the excellent restaurants, bars and local shopping.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
La Flora Resort & Spa
La Flora Resort & Spa
1,134 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort
Le Meridien Phuket Beach...
3,470 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Cousin Resort
Cousin Resort
82 Reviews
Khuk Khak, Thailand
Pattaya
Pattaya
UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Khao Lak suitable for a budget holiday

Thankyou for the replies.

I'm not really fussed with the accommodation as long as it is cheap and clean and preferably including breakfast. ATM, i will budget for £20/night or a little bit more. I'm planning to go to Thailand in October. Not really decided yet.

Me and my partner want to relax on the beach, take day trip to islands, beach activities etc.

How long do people recommend staying at Khao Lak? Can anyone recommend on activities to do and day trips?

Regards

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Khao Lak suitable for a budget holiday

Hi,

For things to do in the green season take a look at www.khaolakaktiv.net/english/activities.html . You of course have the wonderfull Khaosok National Park which is a great timee to come in the green season. Khaolak is also a great area to explore on bikes either alone or with the Green Biking Club. You have elephant trekking and bamboo rafting Thai cooking classes. Days out to Phuket and Phang Nga these are but a few.

Accommodation around £20 per night have a look at where our fellow DE Arandora stays the Cousin resort that he has already mentioned www.cousinresort.com and also slightly overbudget but a bargain at the moment for the green season the Khaolak Bhandari resort in Khao Lak Town it is at £24 per night with

khaolak-hotels.com/khaolak-bhandari-resort/r… Time to stay in KL that depends on you as an individual you could book and stay 5 days but wish you had booked much longer. I love to stay in KL as it is not as touristy as Phuket and Krabi and i just adore everything that it has to offer like walking on the deserted beaches and finding a great place to eat which KL has.My first ever visit to Khao Lak was for a week and it was not long enough for us we did not want to leave.

Julie

Mentioned in this post
The Green Biking Club
The Green Biking Club
54 Reviews
Khuk Khak, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Phang Nga
Phang Nga
Khaolak Bhandari Resort and Spa
Khaolak Bhandari Resort...
796 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Khao Lak suitable for a budget holiday

Have a look here for some ideas on things to do in and around Khao Lak tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297914-c109161/Kha…

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
159 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Khao Lak suitable for a budget holiday

Suitable for a budget holiday? .... definitely. We just got back from a trip there a couple of weeks ago, and we stayed for 5 nights at the Nang Thong Bay Resort 2 in Khao Lak - absolutely beautiful. I have posted a review on the hotel (with photos) if you check my other posts.

We had three beachfront bungalows (the resort was only finished in Dec 2007, so is still very new) and they really were lovely. It is green season from May to October, so we got each bungalow for 1500baht per night which is a bargain! Staff were lovely. It was was very quiet, but not too far from the main street of Bang La On, so there were plenty of restaurants to choose from, shops, laundry, tour operators etc.

We met a lovely lady called Ga who operates tours, taxis, scooters, runs a restaurant, and has a massage business. She organised an elephant trekking & rafting tour at Khao Sok National Park, and it was a lovely day. If you decide to go to Khao Lak (and I highly recommend it, we've been twice now), send me a PM and I can give you Ga's contact details if you want to organise tours.

It's also good to go to the night markets in Bang Niang which are on a Wednesday I think - very interesting. If you want more info, send me an email.

Sylvs

Mentioned in this post
Nang Thong Bay Resort
Nang Thong Bay Resort
306 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
1,129 Reviews
Surat Thani, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Khao Lak suitable for a budget holiday

I am now planning my initial itinery and seeking further answers.

I will fly into Krabi first from Kuala Lumper and then go to Khao Lak.

I notice that Air Asia does not fly from Krabi to Khao Lak and from research i will have to travel by transport to get to Khao Lak. As someone has already said, it is a 2 hr drive?

Can someone give me more detailed information on the type of transport, costs, times of travel available and where to get the transport in Krabi to Khao Lak, as i can't find any.

After my stay in Khao Lak, i am going to go to Chiang Mai. Again, Air Asia, only has flights from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. So, does this mean, i have to find a way to go to Bangkok first and then to Chiang Mai? Any suggestions on this?

Sorry for being a pain.

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Khao Lak suitable for a budget holiday

Chrisuki,

To get from Krabi to Khao Lak it is a lovely scenic drive it is only 2 hours max that would be the longest it really depends on what time of day you travel i did it in 1 hour 45 mins. For a taxi contact patty at www.krabitours.com who will be able to arrange for you and give you current prices.

To get from Khao Lak rto Chang Mai i would get a taxi to Phuket airport 1 hour 15 mins away for a domestic flight to Chang Mai you will probably have to go via a Bangkok connection.

Julie

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phuket Airport Hotel
Phuket Airport Hotel
516 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Khaolak
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Khao Lak suitable for a budget holiday

Apart from private taxi which costs about 2500 to Khao Lak from Krabi, in the high season there is the shared mini-van ran by local. Those mini-vans will drop you off at Khao Lak center, there fare will be no more 500 Baht/Person, I guess.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Russia
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Khao Lak suitable for a budget holiday

Attn.Khao Lak experts. I have an intention to spend a New Year holiday there with my family. I have visited Thailand a few times, but mostly to Koh Samui. Could you advise me which Khao Lak beach will be better for children in terms of clean sand and clear water without rocks. And, of course no long way to the water during low tide.

Waved through Internet I haven't chance to get proper accomodation for buget long-term (abt 4 weeks) stay. Appreciate your comments & advises regarding rental 2-3 bedrooms appartments or villas on that places. Buget 200-300 US per day

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak