We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cher Fah - What's in another name?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Cher Fah - What's in another name?

Having watched progress on the completion and opening of the new luxury Cher Fah Resort (formerly Sofitel Magic Lagoon destroyed by the 2004 Tsunami, relaunched as the Kempinski, then Rixos and "finally" Cher Fah), yesterday we decided to have a look around. There are still finishing touches being applied but to say that we were impressed is an understatement. From the minute you walk into the fully enclosed (unusual for a Khao Lak resort), air-conditioned and beautifully furnished Reception you cannot fail to be impressed by this superb, albeit belated, addition to Khao Lak's top end resorts.

The fact that the member of staff who gave us our tour announced that in a few months it will officially become the J W Marriott Cher Fah with a new General Manger and Executive Chef coming from the J W M Beijing attests to the quality and intentions of this resort.

There are 298 rooms set either side of the huge central pool that runs the full length of the resort down to the pool front lounger positions with a "river" pool running around the perimeter and allowing guests in the ground floor pool access rooms direct entry into this river and enables them to swim around the resort or between various locations or into the main pool. There are only 3 floors with the first and second floors being identically furnished and equipped to the same very high standards of the ground floor rooms. Instead of pool access they have a large patio with loungers and a balcony suspended over the ground floor furnished with a huge settee with new-tech, waterproof and fade proof materials.

Inside a huge king-size bed with expensive cotton fitments, a large flat screen multi-media entertainment system including computer/internet access via the supplied keyboard or direct connection for laptops. A large bathroom with jacuzzi bath and shower, expensively and beautifully furnished, completes these far from standard Deluxe rooms.

There are some studios and larger duplex suites also.

There are four restaurants, Thai, Lebanese, Mediterranean and large multi-purpose, together with a snack/smoothie café and 11 bars throughout the site. A business centre, tennis courts, very large Spa (nearing completion) with beauty salon, shops and, importantly for families, a fully equipped and staffed kiddies club completes, I think, the very impressive facilities.

Perhaps, though the most impressive feature though is that there is a separate wing of the resort specifically designed for disabled guests with access made and rooms equipped accordingly.

Pictures of the Resort showing its beautiful location on Khuk Khak Beach from the latter stages of finishing in mid-January upto yesterday at http://tinyurl.com/dauvc6

Best Available Rates at the moment through booking direct at reservations@cherfah.com or through its website at http://www.cherfah.com/ range from 7,500 (4,500)baht for a Deluxe Room, 8,750 (5,500) for Pool Access to 14,500 (10,500)baht for an Executive Suite. Lower prices are from 16th April - 31st October and includes full breakfast tax and charges. Not cheap but luxury like this never is!

The resort already features on many on-line booking sites, some at cheaper prices (e.g. AsiaRooms)and no doubt will be in major mass tourist brochures soon, if not already.

I rather think this latest name is going to stick.

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
203 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Cher Fah - What's in another name?

Hi Alan,

Fabulous photos, you must have a really great camera!

The resort does look fabulous.

Its nice to see khuk khak beach as we couldnt find it that day we hired the car.

Hope your both still enjoying the villa and KL.

J and M.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Cher Fah - What's in another name?

Hi J & M,

We had to vacate KK beach early that day because of dodgy weather so took the opportunity of going around the Cher Fah and other places.

Great isn't it? You book a place right on the beach for the sun, sea and sand and it buckets it down!!! Sunny now so off now make most of it.

Regards

A & B

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
233 reviews
3. Re: Cher Fah - What's in another name?

Hi Alan,

Wow, stunning photos, the place looks amazing, think that will have to go on our short list for our next trip.

As always....thanks for taking the time!

Sarah

xx

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: Cher Fah - What's in another name?

I'm just naturally nosy and it fills in time when getting out of rain - or sun for that matter when it gets too hot as it has been these last couple of days.

Preston, UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
5. Re: Cher Fah - What's in another name?

Hi Alan

Great photos, on our recent tour of the Cher Fah we only saw the rear of the resort but the beach view ones look fantastic.

If the management can get the service at this new hotel upto standard it should provide a great alternative to the Le Meridien.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: Cher Fah - What's in another name?

Hi Philip,

I think you are right. Whilst the grounds and range of accommodation types isn't as extensive as the LM, the room furnishings of the Deluxe room we were shown are of a much higher standard than the similar type we had in LM.

I think once J W Marriott imprints its style and standards it will become a very sought after resort. I understand that the land adjacent to it is in the same ownership and there were and probably still are plans to develop this as a high class villa resort so complementing the current one.

All the staff we met in Reception and on our tour spoke very good English which speaks highly of the recruitment policy. Let's hope they can retain them.

Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
7. Re: Cher Fah - What's in another name?

Gosh, they must have been very busy from the beginning of Feb when I called in to use a wc during one of our beach walks. It didn't look very special at all from the beach side. For that glowing report Alan you deserved to be given a complimentary lunch!!

It's good that the LM will have a little competition, they've had it too good for too long. The Marriott also has a very large "club" following so will bring a lot of people to the area that probably wouldn't have considered KL otherwise.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
8. Re: Cher Fah - What's in another name?

Mary,

I agree entirely with you about competition and perhaps so does the LK. WE were told by a local "in the know" only yesterday, that Starwood has agreed new contracts for the LK so watch out for lower rates in the not too distant future. I thinbk they are trying to get bookings secured before the Cher Fah takes off!

Good for Khao Lak, Good for TA, and other, visitors!

thailand
3 posts
9. Re: Cher Fah - What's in another name?

Dear Alan,

Thank you for the review you posted on the Cher Fah Resort and Spa here in Khao Lak.

My name is Adam Laker and I am the General Manager of this new resort. I agree with Mary and would be more than happy to offer you a complimentary lunch when you need to get away from the rain, and would be happy to conduct a further personal tour of our property.

I am delighted to tell you that we are now open for business and accepting some of our first guests. We are still finnishing some areas but this is only minor work.

We have started to load rates on the web pages and we are now releasing new rates to all of the major tour operators internationally.Of course people can still always contact us directly via our web page.

I enjoyed your comments about our service and style, we have spent a lot of time and effort on training to achieve this, I am lucky to have such a great team.

Kind regards,

Adam

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
10. Re: Cher Fah - What's in another name?

Adam,

See my PM

Regards

Alan

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations