We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dissapointing News

Phang Nga, Thailand
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dissapointing News

I was dissapointed to learn that Minor International, developer and operator of multiple hotel brands in Thailand, has put two new projects worth a combined Bt6 billion on hold due to the global recession. one of these resorts being in Khao Lak.

"I have seen nothing that will help the country see a recovery," said group chairman and CEO William Heinecke, adding that the hotel sector might recover in the third quarter.

The decision to halt the two hotel projects, scheduled to start this year for opening in 2011 and 2012, follows a decrease in the group's occupancy rate from 85 per cent last year to 60 per cent so far this year, due to the global economic crisis.

Heinecke expects 14 million tourist arrivals this year, unchanged from last year and slightly below the Tourism Authority of Thailand's forecast of 14.5 million. He said many tourists could not book seats to Thailand for peak seasons like Songkran, because of reduced flight frequencies.

In my opinion the original hotel in Khao Lak was a real jewell in the crown for the brand and I was looking forward to it's return. I hope the term 'on hold' means that it could still be released.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dissapointing News

Many companies in Thailand developing properties for sale, rent or as hotels etc are putting projects on hold. One exception seems to Central Group, which has recently open Centara Hotels and Central Shopping malls without much fear of the recession. Interesting that the Minor Group's main income comes from food sales, notable Pizza!

Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dissapointing News

Centara is also due to open the Centara Grand Mirage in Pattaya ( theme resort ) in August / September time. Intercontinental Hua Hin also due to open around same time.

I think it varies from place to place, those that are dependent on overseas visitors and those places that can still attract plnety of domestic tourism.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dissapointing News

It's not surprising that Thailand in general or Khao Lak in particular would escape a world-wide recession. There are mixed feelings in any event here in Khao Lak that more "top end" resorts would spoil the characteristics of the area.

This "jewel" may well be the proposed Four Seasons Resort planned to be built on the site of the former Similana Resort where there is certainly no sign of new construction taking place.

Other small resorts e.g. on Bangsak Beach, continue apace.

Better plans put on hold until visitor numbers increase again than half-built projects taking an excessive time to complete and becoming a blot on the landscape while they do so.

Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dissapointing News

I agree, that also entered my mind, I could honestly 'cry' when I see what has happened to many places and just more and more construction and places loosing what after all people loved in the first place.

To see what has happened to Patong really 'hurts' !

Kamala the same.

Now low rise Cabana style bungalows where nothing is more than tree level and a real sincere desire that nature is retained and the style 'fits in' with the surrounds, that is different.

5. Re: Dissapointing News

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 10:01
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak