We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phoning Uk

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
190 reviews
Save Topic
phoning Uk

Sawadee...

we're off to khao lak next week and we were wondering whats the cheapest way to phone home...our mobiles (O2 network) said they will charge us £1.20 a min to phone UK from Thailand with txts costing 40p...anyone have a idea how much it is using phone booths over there?...or any other suggestions....all gratefully accepted from this very informative forum....cheers

Tets

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: phoning Uk

hi, have your phone unlocked and put a thai pay as you go sim card in .we normaly use the 1 2 go sim works fine on international calls and available from most 7-11 shops.top ups available from 100 baht upwards.

norwichblue1

London
Level Contributor
9,028 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: phoning Uk

Depends how often you want to call the U.K. as suggested the sim card probably easiest option. But if like myself and you only want to call couple times, I tend to go to internet cafe where they have international phone - believe costs between 5-10 baht per minute.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: phoning Uk

We use a Thai 1 2 Call sim card to phone home. If you insert a 9 after the 00 and before the 44 then home number without the leading 0, you get cheap rates e.g. 009441234123456

I called my sister on a premium rate bedside phone when she was in hospital in UK and it cost less than 15p a minute. When I phoned from home in UK before we left it cost me 39p landline or 49p per minute mobile. We regularly phone our daughter on her mobile and it has not cost more than 10 baht a minute. Cheaper to a landline.

Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
175 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: phoning Uk

Hi Arandora

I hope I've understood this correctly and you're referring to when using your O2 mobile with a Thai sim card?

Also do you know if using the "9" with the sim card, would also work with sim cards bought in another country, for example, Indonesia or Malaysia, when you're in that country?

Thanks

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: phoning Uk

thx for all the replies....as ever on this site all answers are very helpful...at the moment my phone isn't unlocked from 02, so i'll either get it unlocked before we go or buy a cheap mobile here or in bangkok then buy a 1 2 call thai sim card......hope them changs are cold...LOL

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: phoning Uk

Hi Navarac,

I use a Thai 1 2 Call sim card bought and topped up locally from the 711 (but available elsewhere) in my unlocked mobile (previously a Vodafone phone but now not linked to any network in UK). Using the 9 (or 8 will work but links to a different tarrif) only works with this card in Thailand. You would need to buy a Malaysian sim there and use whatever dialling prorocol they use to get cheap calls, if any.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: phoning Uk

Hi Alan...

do you have to still put the "+" before the 44 when phoning UK.....and after the 009......as 009+44123454321 etc...or do you omit the + sign.......cheers

ps

i gather from your recent posts that yo're having a bit of rain out there...hope it clears as we on our way this weds....LOL

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: phoning Uk

Hi,

If you are phoning from a mobile then it is +944 or 00944 then UK number dropping the first 0. From landline then it is 00944.

Weather has improved over the last couple of days, no rain during the day but every time I say that, the thunderstorms return. Plenty of cloud, particularly in the afternoon but even after a good 8 week undercoat I got careless yesterday afternoon and didn't renew the sunscreen after swimming and got burned, so be careful!

Regards

& welcome soon to KL.

9. Re: phoning Uk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations