We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie questions

Adelaide
Level Contributor
474 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Newbie questions

We visted Phuket (Movenpick Karon beach) in 2007 and are considering Khao lak this time. I have started some research, but my head is starting to spin from information overload.

We will be travelling with an 11 and 13yo. We are looking for a location that offers some relaxation, good food, but not too adult/honeymooner based - we will only annoy them LOL. We have a price range of around 4500baht x 2 rooms per night. We will probably travel down and stay in Patong or Karon the last couple of nights.

Can anyone advise

1. Best beach area to stay in and is Khao lak suitable for pre teens/teens?

2. Suitable resorts in price range - close to facilties and a little entertainment/shopping/good eating. My kids still fond of a decent pool(s), but no need for kids clubs.

2. Distance from airport

3. Good spas nearby?

4. Best method of getting around (taxi/walk/tuk tuk)

Hope these questions are not too silly or basic. Thanks in advance for any advice

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie questions

Hey Wilyaroo,

We did the Similian 3 day snorkelling tour through Poseidon Bungalows last trip and it was amazing... Have a look at my blog on it.. I think you and the kids would love it...

In fact it was exactly this time last year we were on there!! :-)

travelblog.org/Asia/…blog-252190.html

Reet xxxx

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie questions

Hi wilyaroo,

Khao Lak DEFINITELY meets your requirements of "some relaxation, good food, but not too adult/honeymooner based"

You haven't mentioned when you are thinking of travelling to KL as that will very much determine the choice of accommodation to meet your budget.

The Dry Season runs from November to April (with peak prices over Xmas and New Year). 4500 baht should get you some very decent accommodation during this time. In the Wet or Green as it is now referred to, May to October, prics drop dramatically and you should get very good deals too.

Nevertheless, here's some info to be going on with pending you letting us know the period you have in mind.

1 & 2 - the two most popular family areas with most restaurants, bars and shops are Bang La On, the main centre based either side of Highway 4 which runs direct from just off Phuket island all the way to Bangkok. It's beach is Nang Thong and is a leisurely 10 minutes from the town but with restaurants, bars and shops on the way up. Resorts which receive regular reports on this beach are the Nang Thong Bay Resort I & II - a very typical Thai bungalow resort, the adjacent Baan Khao Lak and nest to that the newest addition to this area, the Laguna Resort, which seems particulary popular with families. These resorts are also on the best part of Nang Thong Beach.

The second township, a few miles up the road from La On is Bang Niang, which has recovered incredibly from the Tsunami and so has most of the newer resorts, bars and shop areas nad is growing all the time. There are restaurants, bars and shops on the highway then all down either side of the road down to the beach, overlooking and on the beach itself. We love Bang Niang, warts and all, and I think it offers the best mix of accommodation and things to do, all within walking distance.

Resorts of note on the beach are the Ramada, La Flora, Mukdara, Chang Fah, Amanusa, Golden Sands and Ayara Villas. Just off the beach are the Sudala Beach, Jasmin Resort and our favourite small bungalow resort, the Cousin.

Have a look at khaolaklovers.com/Khao-Lak-Resorts-and-Hotel…

and http://khaolak.de/khaolakbeach/home.htm for info on and prices of accommodation

and http://www.khaolakmap.com/ for their location

2. Distance from airport - Depending which area you stay in, it's just over an hour by taxi from Phuket airport.

3. Good spas nearby? - the top range hotels have spas and there are private spas also. There is an abundance of cheap and good massage places both on and near the beaches as well as in the main towns.

4. Best method of getting around (taxi/walk/tuk tuk)- again it depends where you choose to stay. Travel within Bang La On or Bang Niang is by walking. Travelling between is by taxi/sogthaew (no tuk tuks)which takes about 10 minutes and costs about 250 baht for 4 persons each way.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
474 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbie questions

Thank you so much Arandora for the wealth of information. Has given me plenty to be going on with! We are hoping to travel in May - so hopefully can get a few good deals.

Reet thanks also for your information. Whilst snorkelling def. appeals to me, my husband, well lets say, not so keen. May have to work on him.

4. Re: Newbie questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 12:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations