We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Make the most of Pak Weeb Beach - while you can!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Make the most of Pak Weeb Beach - while you can!

Pak Weeb (or Pakwip) Beach has generally been regarded as the jewel in the crown of Khao Lak's glorious coastline, both pre and post Tsunami. Post Tsunami when Khao Lak's regeneration started, Pak Weeb had Le Meridien at the northern end with the Tsunami Survivors "shack" next to it, then around or over the cove the venerable but atmospheric Siimilana with a myriad of shells in front of it each day, then 200 metres or so "Khao Lak's best kept secret" Aow Thong (White Sandy) Beach with its three beach restaurants and a smattering of deck chairs for those who knew or had heard about it, then the prestigious Sarojin Resort, then other than the Boatyard, a volunteer project to help rebuild Khao Lak's longtail boat fishing fleet, nothing right up to the end of Cape Pakarang.

Change and progress is inevitable and it started with the excellent Tsunami Survivors becoming the excellent Rim Lay another restaurant added at the other side of Le Meridien, the Boatyard having fulfilled its laudable role being converted into the Boatyard Restaurant, one of the best in Khao Lak, then this time last year the announcement that the Similana had been sold and was to be redeveloped as, it was and still is, rumoured a high class Four Seasons Resort.

Since then, the Similana has been demolished, its frontage being used on a temporary basis by the Sarojin because its own beach frontage has been severely curtailed by the building of a new beach villa resort immediately adjacent to it. 4 weeks ago the shells of 9 villas had been built but the sheer size of what locals are saying will be the biggest beach villa resort in Khao Lak is only now becoming apparent.

When we walked from the Boatyard to the Similana earlier today, a bulldozer was clearing the furthest end of the beach frontage of the site. We paced out how many more villas this would accommodate if the present nine were extended as seems likely and it could be as many as 30 in total with more, presumably cheaper, accommodation behind them restaurant, pool and other facilities on the very large site.

Next to this site excavators are busy preparing lagoons for what is going to become a new, large shrimp farm.

Aow Thong Beach s probably now one of if not the most popular day tripper destinations for visitors to Khao Lak and further afield.

That's progress for you!

Have a look at latest pics at http://tinyurl.com/aah4vs and in particular to get an idea of the scale of the new bungalow resort.

As long as they leave the area from the Boatyard to the Cape alone, we'll be satisfied but .......

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: Make the most of Pak Weeb Beach - while you can!

hi,mr.A. all quiet and relaxed on the western front and tin hat is off looking at the splendid pics.looks like you are not ready to come back yet to dear old blighty and who can blame you nothing but doom and gloom at least the weather has picked up to a sweltering 10 degrees.on one of your other posts you mentioned 4 more big resorts one being the four seasons any news on where the other 3 are and who will be running them? if you hear of any fixed date for the phuket vegetarian festival could you please post and let me know.........thanks.october just can not come quick enough will have to be content looking at ours and your pics.till then.

sawasdee khap norwichblue1

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Make the most of Pak Weeb Beach - while you can!

Hi norwichblue,

"Phuket Vegetarion Festival"? Hmmm, I'll keep my cailiflower ears open for that one!

In addition to the "Four Seasons", there are two adjacent to Kai's Seafood, just up from the Royal Bangsak Beach Hotel, one owned by owners of the Khao Lak Resort, one next to the Merlin, owners of these not known.

Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Make the most of Pak Weeb Beach - while you can!

I though perhaps Khao Lak would have been lucky to escape !

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: Make the most of Pak Weeb Beach - while you can!

I think locals finding a eater chance of employment opportunities or increased earning potential through the growth of tourism in Khao Lak will welcome this expansion so long as it doesn't get out of hand. Let's hope it stays local - no McDs or Starbucks etc.!!!

Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Make the most of Pak Weeb Beach - while you can!

Don't want to post another post for this - Arandora, do buses run from Khao Lak to Chumphon or do you have to go to Ranong first ? Someone was asking elsewhere.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: Make the most of Pak Weeb Beach - while you can!

Hi Monika,

I've no idea but I know a man who will. I'll let you know later.

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
7. Re: Make the most of Pak Weeb Beach - while you can!

surprised nothing being built between le meridien and bangsak;lets hope it stays that way or it will be another bit of seclusion lost,only time will tell

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
8. Re: Make the most of Pak Weeb Beach - while you can!

There are still rumours that the derelict site just to the south of the Royal Bangsak Resort, the Royal Coco Palm I think, is to be redeveloped but still no sign of activity. The 2 new resorts there are on the northern side of the Royal Bangsak with work underway as well as widening of the highway there opposite the King's School.

I believe the original owner of Le Meridien still owns land to the north of it, earmarked for possible further expansion.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
284 posts
1 review
9. Re: Make the most of Pak Weeb Beach - while you can!

Alan I can't believe the difference from when we visited the Le Meridien. It is a shame about the Similana. We had dinner or lunch in their restaurant regularly during our stay. I take it the Le meridien area is still undeveloped accept for the LM?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
10. Re: Make the most of Pak Weeb Beach - while you can!

There is a little massage place/"Armani Tailors and a couple ofother beach restaurant/bars to the north of Le M, the second one reached by the rickety bridge shown in the pics and the ever popular Rim Lay on the other and more rows of loungers as it was virtually full but otherwise same, same.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak