We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos and rainfall

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos and rainfall

Hello to those currently in Khao Lak,

Me and my wife are going to the Ramada in KL for our honeymoon on Monday next week, and two questions keep bugging me:

The weather forecasts show lots of dark clouds and rain showers. What are the days like rainwise? Will the rain for instance ruin a snorkelling trip to the Similians or an elephant ride in Khao Sok?

I've seen a similar question from march last year, but I'll ask a new one for this year: mosquitos. We're used to a fair amount of them from other travels, but is it extremely bad now with the rain and humidity?

Thanks for any answers. We are so looking forward to this, the best holiday we'll ever have.

Espen

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos and rainfall

Hi

If the forecasts are showing rain ect it might only be a passing shower At the moment i am in Krabi and we had some rain the other evening lasted 20 minutes. Mozzies i allways use repellent when i go out at night and you will find most places use coils.

Have a great time you will have a wonderfull honeymoon.

Julie

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,410 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos and rainfall

We've been in KL for 4 weeks now and no doubt during that time the popular weather forecast sites which are based n weather stations north and south of here will have been showing thunderstorms or risk of them. They did last year.

However, in our first week we had a real good tropical downpour lasting 20 minutes and a week later an evening shower of light drizzle lasting the same. The other day it rained for 30 seconds as I drove across the mountains and last evening there were a few drops at dinnertime too.

Other than that it has been hot, getting hotter, sunny, can't get sunnier, mainly cloudless blue skies.

They are crying out for rain and it will come but hopefully it will be overnight or an afternoon cloudburst. Either way it should not spoil either of your tours nor the enjoyment of your honeymoon.

It is humid but there are no more mossies about than you would expect in a tropical climate. We just douse ourselves with repellent from about 6pm onwards, just before sunset when they start becoming active and as we either watch the sunsets (there was a glorious one last night right in front of the Ramada) or go out for dinner. Most restaurants have a mossie coil lit by your table. If not just ask for one.

If you do have a spare moment, there is a get together of TA members starting about 8pm (or earlier if you come for dinner) next Wednesday 25th February at the Everyday Restaurant mid way between Bang Niang where you are staying and the main town, Bang La On.

Hope you can make it but in any event have a wonderful honeymoon in Khao Lak.

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos and rainfall

Thank you ever so much for quick and informative answers, Julie and Alan. I must say that this forum and not least this whole site with reviews and tips has made the planning for this trip very easy. The Ramada has received a standing ovation in the reviews, and in this forum I've found answers to most of my questions, provided by you guys. Keep up the great work!

We'll stay in Khao Lak for two weeks, and it will be the best, I am sure. Good to hear that the rain showers are occasional. The wife and I always have a great time while travelling, rain storms or bright sunshine :-)

Will bring mossie repellent. And we'll keep in mind the TA hook-up at the Everyday on Wednesday!

Espen

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga, Thailand
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos and rainfall

Hello Espen,

It's a pleasure to welcome you to the Khao Lak forum as a poster as well as a reader.

You will certainly enjoy The Ramada as we can confirm after staying there quite recently.

I can predict that it will be the best holiday you will ever have, until the next time you visit, of course!

I wish you a safe journey on Monday.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
5. Re: Mosquitos and rainfall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 02:50
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak