We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some advice required

Brisbane
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Some advice required

Hi there,

i am just in the middle of planning a family holiday so was hoipng for some advice.

I have 2 children 3 and 5 (at the time of travel) and we r looking for a family friendly resort. we will be there very late oct early nov.

A kids club and babysitting is a must as i am in need of a little me time (as well as spending my 30th birthday there... we also will be celebrating our daughters 3rd)

I would think 3-4 star however i don't want intercoonecting rooms i would prefer either one big room or something with a seperate bedroom if that makes sense, they r too young to be in a completely seperate room and especially one with a door that can be opened by them or someone else.

We have 11 days, should we do all at Khao Lak or split it with Phuket?? We were in Phuket last June.

Does Khao Lak have similarities to Phuket as in cheap massage and beauty salons, cheap fake goods, cheap food and drinks??

Thanks in advance!

Melinda

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some advice required

Hi Melinda,

The only 2 resorts that I am familiar with that have children's facilities and are particularly family friendly are the Le Meridien which is in a more secluded position on the beautiful, but out of town Pak Weeb Beach, and the Laguna which is right at the entrance to Bang La On, the main centre of Khao lak with its restaurants, bars and, yes, cheap massage and beauty salons, cheap fake goods and food and drink that you will find is generally cheaper than Phuket.

The Le Meridien is a large, superb 5* resort with its own family wing with various options for accommodation, its own large family pool with a "lazy river" for floating along and a small pool for the tinies. There is definitely a staffed Kiddies Club equiped with TVs, videos, games consoles etc and staff who organiswe activities, like shelling on the beach, for the children.

The Laguna is 3/4* and at the end of Nang Thong Beach where it joins Sunset Beach and has a seperate pool for the kiddies but not sure about a kiddies club or accommodation types, though it too is a big resort.

At the time you are planning you should be able to get ggod rates for both resorts, particularly for the October period.

Phang Nga, Thailand
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Some advice required

Hello Melinda,

With regards to your 'retail' question, you will find that Lkao Lak is on a far smaller scale than Phuket. However, there are a number of shops and plazas both in Bang La On (near the Laguna) and Bang Niang (closer to Le Meridien). You will also find local markets at Bang Niang an in Takuapa (about 20 minutes drive north) where you can have a more 'local' shopping experience. For a massage/salon, you could try SasiMantra in Bang Niang for example, but there are a number of others.

Fake goods have diminished somewhat over the last few years as the clampdown on CDs and DVDs, particularly, has progressed. I wouldn't recommend the DVDs or CDs as the quality is not good in my experience.

For food and drink you will find a whole range of bars, restaurants and street vendors, so you wont be stuck for choice.

For a very good deal in October, can I suggest The Ramada in bang Niang. this is classed as a 4 star in low season. It does have interconnecting rooms though which may or may not suit your requirements. They do very good deals at this time if you book through the main website at www.ramada.com.

Have a great trip and feel free to post any other questions here.

We may even see you there in October!

3. Re: Some advice required

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 February 2009, 06:40
Phang Nga, Thailand
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Some advice required

Hello Melida,

Please have a look at http://www.ramadakhaolak.com/facilities.php

where you will see listed-

Outdoor swimming pool with separate children's pool

This is a very nice separate pool arranged in a terrace between the main pool and the grassed area which borders the beach.

With regards to fake goods, please be aware of this article.

asiaone.com/Travel/News/Story/A1Story2009011…

I used to purchase fake goods, but now try to resist on principle.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some advice required

Hi Melinda,

The Le Meridien has fantastic facilities for children and is very family friendly.You will get cheap food and drinks in the Khao Lak area and you will find massage places at a reasonable cost usually around 300baht some 400baht. You will find some nice shops in Khao Lak selling the usual wares but for cheap fake goods it is not like Phuket.

Julie

6. Re: Some advice required

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to messages that promote or encourage illegal activities. We will remove all posts that ask for or provide information on illegal activities.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2009, 05:33
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations