We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawker/Street Food

Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
175 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hawker/Street Food

Is there such a thing as hawker/street food in Khao Lak (perhaps Bang La On) like they have in the main cities. If so, are they any good....as in, do they have a good reputation? Is Khao Lak sizeable enough to have these?

Phang Nga, Thailand
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawker/Street Food

Hi,

You will find a number of stalls like this in Khao Lak, La On and Bang Niang. These are mainly pankake and savories, and are generally very good.

However, you could try the local markets, where the food stalls have a more varied and exotic selection!

Phang Nga, Thailand
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawker/Street Food

Hi,

You will find a number of stalls like this in Khao Lak, La On and Bang Niang. These are mainly pankake and savories, and are generally very good.

However, you could try the local markets, where the food stalls have a more varied and exotic selection!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawker/Street Food

There are quite a few stalls (motorbike with stall attached variety) outside the Nang Thong Supermarket in Bang La On, starting with the savoury ones from morning onwards then being joined by the mouth wateringly delicious pancake stands late afternoon. This is quite a popular place for cheap, but good snacking, lunch, dinner, anytime with cold beer on hand from the supermarket and tables provided outside. A few more are now appearing at Bang Niang, again near the 711 supermarket, on the way down to the beach and even on the beach the motorbike horn summons you to sample the goodies on offer.

At Khuk Khak just up the road there are stalls and a small but very good food hall adjacent to the covered market near the bus station.

For the last week at the stadium in Bang Niang there as been one of the travelling Thai Markets that appear from time to time in different places. As well as stalls selling local clothing, shoes, electrical goods, beautiful orchids, very simple but hugely enjoyable sideshows (Bingo Thai style is hillarious!) there are many stalls selling delicious freshly cooked food, including the wonderful mango and sticky rice and, the yet to be tried, deep-fried insects. Delicious - or so I am told! Think I'll pass on those!!! I hope there is one around when you are there.

However, as well as the hawker/street stalls, the Khao Lak, and any seaside resort, version are the beach huts; the small beach stands, usually family affairs, which are now reappearing along the beaches and selling delicious food, the range depending on the size of the "establishment".

Phang Nga, Thailand
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawker/Street Food

"and, the yet to be tried, deep-fried insects"

It may be wise to give these a miss if you have a 'Bangkok Belly'

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawker/Street Food

Hi

I would also say give the beach restaurants a try some of the food in these so cheap and delicious and you can not beat the ambiance and setting.Also along the highway you will find locals have set up restaurants some outside houses and shacks ect and hubby who has just come back had some amazing food in these.Many just have a few tables and a limited menu but good homestyle thai cooking.

Julie

Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
175 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawker/Street Food

Thanks all!

Over the years I've always been tempted to try hawker stands as the food smells so good but have been worried about eating dodgy food i.e. something that's been left in the heat too long.

On a visit to a shopping mall in Malaysia (Penang) about 5 years ago I plucked up the courage and had these deep fried, in sweet dough and tossed in sugar vegetable/fruit things (definately no meat). They tasted lovely, but by the time I got back to the hotel a few hours later.......well, I won't go into the details, but I was violently ill and thought I was going to die!

Apart from that, in all my travels around Thailand, I have not once been ill or suffered in any way from the food - plenty times in Europe though!

But I'm still interested to know if others have found hawker stalls safe to eat from. Do these traders rely on their reputation? or are they there one day and gone the next?

Grateful for your reviews as I really do want to get into this - just want to be careful and know what to look out for.

Thanks!

Phang Nga, Thailand
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawker/Street Food

Hi Navarac,

Like you, I've never been ill from eating in Thailand. In Khao Lak I have eaten at beach restaurants, stalls, markets, local festivals and at friends houses and I've always been fine. It's not that I have cast iron guts either, in Corsica I had a very poor experience with Charcuterie!

I find that the ingredients are pretty fresh in Khao Lak and always try out new things each time I visit. This is normally as a freind may be challenging me though! Sometimes their reaction when you eat something they think you won't like is priceless!

Enjoy the experience.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawker/Street Food

Hi Navarac,

This year is first time I've had a dodgy tummy in Thailand. It can also be the effect of too much sun and beer and I had loads of both just before my "episode".

The hawker stands are usually there all the time. They rely on a steady stream of customers and therefore income rather than making a quick baht or two. So generally the food is good to keep customers coming.

In the ventre of Bang La On near the new plazas there are now appearing more of these stands with just plastic tables and chairs nearby. Very popular with locals as well as visitors which is always a good sign.

BURLINGTON
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawker/Street Food

I hope I am not "out of line"here but I thought some of you might be interested in this information. Some 5 years ago I was heading to Mexico, the site of major "tummy trouble", and decided to try an oral vaccine called Dukoral(at least here in Canada) which gives a 3 month(can be extended to 6 months) protection against "travelers diarrhea'. I did not have a problem for the two weeks I was there. I have it used it(unfortunately you have to restart the immunity after 6 months)for subsequent trips, the last being a 5 week swing through Asia last spring, again without having any problems. My husband also became a convert, although he is not as prone as I am to the malady. It costs us around Cdn$80 which is pricey for us budget travelers but definitely worth it for peace of mind and our insurance covers some of the cost. I have found that not many people are aware of this vaccine, hence my thought to let you know about it.

10. Re: Hawker/Street Food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 22:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations