We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Kho Khao is moving fast - but!!!!!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,410 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Koh Kho Khao is moving fast - but!!!!!

We went over to KKK yesterday to see how this ruggedly beautiful little island about 30 minutes up the coast from Khao Lak is developing after the announcement just over a year ago that permission had been granted to to turn the wartime Japanese airfield into an airport and to build a bridge to replace the 10 minute ferry crossing.

No sign of the airort taking off (if you know what I mean!) nor a bridge but every sign that inward investment and expectations were both on the increase. There were once, only a couple of years ago, only two restaurants outside the handful of resorts on the island. Now there are a growing number at the ferry dock, on the road leading up the island and, inevitably, near the entrance to the major resorts, and shacks on the beach too.

Take the road to the tip of the island and you will find a great vantage point and nice little beach restaurant and walk up the beach and see the neighbouring uninhabited island. There is a sign just before you reach there for another restaurant facing this island but you neeed a 4X4 to get through the deep sand to it or, again witha 4X4 drive along the beach and around the point to it.

There is a new beach bungalow development nearly sold out, mainly to Scandinavian owners, and others in the pipeline including condos overlooking the beach. Land for Sale signs line the highway.

So if you have the odd million or two to spare (baht of course) KKK is beckoning you. "you will get your money back in two or thre years" we were told.

Another interesting point I found out. I had thought that if you stayed on the island, the last ferry crossing from the mainland was 6 or 7pm. It is but that is when it is operating as a public ferry. The 150 baht each way fare for a car and 2 passengers doubles if you use it as private crossing after that time. So if you stay on KKK and want to dine out in Khao Lak, for instance, you don't have to dine early, nor are you stranded after dark on the island.

BUT, if you do visit KKK, take and apply liberally your insect repellant even during the day, I forgot mine and returned home full of sandfly bites. The human population has not increase sufficiently to drive these pesky things away - yet!!!

Album of pictures to follow when I can get my internet connection sorted out to transfer them.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,410 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Kho Khao is moving fast - but!!!!!

KKK pictures at http://tinyurl.com/cs6k99

Oudendijk, The...
Level Contributor
878 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Kho Khao is moving fast - but!!!!!

Hi Arandora

Hope your still enjoying your vacation from the Photos you have taken I think you obviously are, KKK looks wonderfull, will put that on my must see destinations especially with it being so close to Kl.

Enjoying your posts, have a nice time.

Manicus.

NH USA
Level Contributor
412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Kho Khao is moving fast - but!!!!!

I just returned from KKK last month an absolutely loved the island!!!! I am already seriously thinking of returning next year at Xmas time. We stayed at the KKK Island Beach Resort and Spa and loved it. Actually Arndora, I found my accomodations on "the other site" for lovers !!!

4. Re: Koh Kho Khao is moving fast - but!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 04:50
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak