We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak holiday

Nambucca Heads
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Khao Lak holiday

Hi, my husband and I are staying at Khao Lak Merlin for 7 nites from Feb 13th and wondering if best to pre book tours or wing it when we get there?

We're keen to do Khao Sok Day Tour; snorkelling around the Similian Islands and the Hong by Starlight Day trip....would love your advise on the above. Also interested in going to the memorial and having a day trip to Phuket.

Finally can you recommend some restaurants/bars close to where we're staying.....thanx heaps.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak holiday

Hello,

Most tours you can wing it when you get there. John Gray,s Hong by starlight is quite popular and if you want to go on a certain day may be disapointed might be advisable to give him a quick e mail to ask about availability.Day trip to Phuket you can either do privately with a car and driver or an organised join in tour. If there are certain places you would like to visit then i would go with the private car and driver.

Restaurants and bars by the Merlin you have within a short walk Jo's Seafood and the Hello Bar which i would recomend. A ten minute taxi ride over the mountain will bring you to Bang La On where i would recomend

Jai's

Phu Khao Lak

Bussaba

Everyday House

Khao Lak seafood

Ruen Mai

Takieng ( Bang Niang )

These are but a few there are many more. The fun is finding these great eating places. Do not be afraid of trying out the roadside places when you are out and about you will find these do fantastic food .Many have no name you will see a shack or a house with a few tables outside. Have a great time.

Julie

Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
175 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak holiday

"A ten minute taxi ride over the mountain will bring you to Bang La On where i would recomend"

Sorry to cut in, but we're also staying at the Merlin. Is it really over a mountain to Bang La On? Is the road really steep? I'm quite wary of getting into a car and having a scary drive.

Grateful if you could describe it in more detail. Thx

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Lak holiday

Hi Navarac,

Sorry to alarm you. There are mountains and there are mountains. This is not like going through the Alps and is not as high as in Scotland. Ben Nevis it aint! It is the main highway route into and through Khao Lak and reaches its (not very) highest point mid-way between the Merlin before descending not steeply at all into Bang La On, the main township. It is a beautiful piece of wide road with no sheer drops on either side and a fabulous view of the Khao Lak coastline as you start the descent. Not at all scary!

Khao means mountain but there are differing views about what the Lak means or how it was derived - see tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k17… for some of the variations.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao Lak holiday

Hi annanhds,

To add to the restaurant list in Bang La On provided by Julie, try Nom's Family Restaurant (just past Nang Thong Supermarket)and Weerapat's Kitchen (in between Khao Lak Seafood and the Happy Snapper Bar) for more authentic Thai, the latter serving Isaan (Northern Thai) cuisine.

By the Memorial I presume you mean the Tsunami Memorial at Ban Nam Khem, which is about 30 - 40 minutes drive from the Merlin. Couple this with a visit to Koh Kho Khao which it overlooks and which is reached by a frequent 10 minute ferry crossing and you have a veryn nice day out. You could even squeeze in an elephant trek at Saurung Waterfall on your way back as you pass the entrance to it on the highway. Hiring a local taxi and driver for the day is probably best way to do this if you are not planning on hiring a car.

Nambucca Heads
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao Lak holiday

Hi Julie and Alan,

Thank you so much for your time and advice...we're eagerly awaiting our wonderful holiday in Khao Lak...only 3 sleeps to go!!

kind regards

Anna

6. Re: Khao Lak holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 13:55
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations