We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

16 days in Khao Lak

Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
16 days in Khao Lak

My husband and I are planning to spend 16 nights in Khao Lak in June after 5 nights in Kanchanaburi. At the moment I am planning to stay at 3 different resorts as follows : 7 nights at Khao Lak Orchid Beach Resort then 4 nights at the Haadson Resort and our last 5 nights at Le Meridien.

This trip is for pure relaxation and although we have been to Thailand many times before we have never been to this area including Phuket, Krabi.

Would you kind experts please comment on the choice of resorts, length of stay at each etc. We always like a little variey of accommadation so the moving doesn't bother us. From my research I gather all resorts are on different beaches but would appreciate any comments either pros or cons before we book. We are in our mid 60's , love nice beaches and good resorts. We usually go for the smaller, boutique type but Le meridien sounds lovely. Thanks

Phang Nga, Thailand
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 16 days in Khao Lak

Wow, three hotels in one area! That's a particular type of relaxation!

The Khao Lak Orchid is on Khuk Khak Beach which is relatively undeveloped. It's a reasonably large hotel set back from the beach across a small road. There is very little in the way of local shops or restaurants, so the shuttle bus or taxi would be required. You could walk from here along the beach to the south to get to the more developed Bang Niang beach or northwards towards the Andamania.

The Haadson is a small, low key, boutique type hotel on, in my opinion, the nicest and most undeleloped beach, Bangsak. It dosn't have the grandeur of Le Merdien, but is very personal with a discreet style of service which is less in your face than other hotels. It's set back from the beach a little across a very small road and promenade. There are a handful of local restaurants and a supermarket about 1km away. From here its a 30 minute walk south to Pakweeb Beach where you will find Le Meridien and another 30 minutes to Ao Thong beach where there are some nice beach restaurants adjacent to the Sarojin and The Boatyard restaurant a little further on. To get to Khao Lak centre from The Haadson is a 15 minute drive or shuttle bus ride.

Le Meridien is one of the two 5 star hotels in Khao Lak, situated on the lovely Pakweeb beach, with a beach restaurant nearby, and the ones already mentioned above. There are also some restaurants near the entrance on the main road. It's a large hotel set off the main road down a long drive with a good range of room types and facilities. From here its about a 12 minute drive to Khao Lak centre or a little less to Bang Niang which is the closest developed area with shops, bars and restaurants.

Personally I would have fewer nights at The Orchid and Le Meridien and more at The Haadson.

Congratulations on choosing Khao Lak, I think you won't be dissapointed.

I suspect the others will soon be along with additional information, particularly as we have some 'on the spot' contacts at present!

I'll be travelling out there soon, hopefully Hearthrow airport will be clear from snow then!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 16 days in Khao Lak

Just to show that tastes differ, I would have more at Le Meridien for that special pampering and its superb facilities with either the Haadson if you want someting more unique and access to now the most unspoiled beach in Khao Lak or the Orchid if you want splendid isolation. At the moment the Orcid is perhaps on all round the best beach location as the fabulous beach has been complemented by several Mom and Pop beach huts, serving food, drinks and massages but in June (Wet/Green Season) most if not all beach places like this close down due to reduced number of visitors but also because of sea conditions. I'd go 10 at Le Meridien and 6 at one of the others or dare I confuse you even more, consider the Ramada (which has great Low Season offers), the Mukdara or La Flora on Bang Niang Beach, where you will find more restaurants open on and near the beach and easy walking distance of these 3 resorts.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 16 days in Khao Lak

Hi,

As you have chosen the green season and hotels that are slightly isolated i would also being a Le Meridien fan stay here the longest. The facilities at this hotel are excellent . The style of the hotel and grounds even at full capacity never seems full of people like some hotels. You also have a wide choice of restaurants within the hotel all are very good and a fantastic beach.

My next suggestion would be as Arandora has suggested looking at Bang Niang perhaps the Mukdara where you would have a good choice of restaurants on the doorstep.

If you still want to do three resorts i would do Haadson 4 nights, Le Meridien 7 nights, Mukdara 5 nights instead of Orchid Beach.

I myself in the past have chosen different hotels to base myself.

Julie

Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 16 days in Khao Lak

Thanks so much Sanuksanaan, Arandora and Julie for taking the time to comment. I have since looked at the Ramada's site (all those sun lounges packed together like sardines was off putting!) but the Mukdara seems nice and the green season prices were good.

Julie, apart from The Orchid resort being isolated is there any other reason you would choose Mukdora over it? I realise it larger but it doesn't look too big.

You all have convinced me to stay longer at Le Meridien so at the moment its 7 Le Meridien, 5 Haadson and 4 at The Orchid or Mukdara. How does this sound?

One other thing. Should we hire a car for some of the time and would this be best done for the period at the Haadson or the Le Meridian?( if we stay at the Orchid we will be prepared to stay put and eat in house at night) Should we arrange this when we arrive at Phuket airport?

Thanks again for your great help, Cheers

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 16 days in Khao Lak

The Le Meridien and Mukdara are directly on the beach at Pak Weeb and Bang Niang respectively, the Orchid is across an access road set amidst a former rubber plantation.

If you can afford it, I would hire a car for your entire stay, irrespective of which resorts you finally select and for how long. Particularly in the Green Season when the weather is more uncertain and unpredictable, a car will give you greater flexibility to react to conditions and to achieve access to places that otherwise you would have to book a tour to or where tours don't go to. There are many places off the beaten track, waterfalls and rivers in full flow for instance, that make this already beautiful area even more so.

Hire car rates are very reasonable, particularly off season but if you do hire, whether through a local outfit (we hire from Airport CarRent and pick up from and return to the airport) or one of the more expensive nationals, like Budget, Hertz or Avis who have offices in Khao Lak or will deliver there, ensure you have Full (our Comprehensive) Insurance cover and to obtain an International Driving Permit in the UK from the AA or RAC on-line or in person from one of the designated Post Offices - see http://tinyurl.com/bho59z for the list of POs.

Have a look at these pics of the Mukdara taken last March for a TA member who stayed there last May and was extremely pleased with the resort in general and her garden villa in particular

http://photos.orange.co.uk/album/7597039

Decisions! Decisions!

Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 16 days in Khao Lak

Thanks Arandora for the car hire info. Will certainly look into this.

I didn't know that The Orchid Resort had a small road between it and the beach. This is I know the set up at Haadson. I would prefer absolute beach frontage so it just gives me more food for thought !

As you said....decisions, decisions, decisions !

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 16 days in Khao Lak

Hi piri,

The reason i would choose the Mukdara over the Orchid is that the accommodation is more thai style a beautifull resort sitting beach front on Bang Niang. Also your other two hotels are quite isolated for outside dining options in the green seson as a lot close down. This hotel would give you a good range in walking distance.

Julie

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 16 days in Khao Lak

Hi piri,

The situation of the Haadson and the Orchid beach regarding the road and beach frontage is quite different. At the Haadson the road is a through road (albeit not a vert busy one) which separates the Haadson and restaurants on one side and the grassed promenade with eating and picnic places overlooking the beach on the other.

At the Orchid the road is the access road down from the Highway to the Orchid and ends there. It then continues as a dirst track skirting the beach and is used by proprieors of the beach shacks on that stretch and visitrs like us who park up behind them. To all intents and purposes you are on the beach.

Sorry for any confusion.

9. Re: 16 days in Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 13:51
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations