We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Down to three

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Down to three

Hi one and all.

Well come what may Pennie and I will be landing in Phuket on the 23rd of January. We've narrowed down our short list of places to stay to three hotels namely The Takolaburi, The Apsaras and The Andamania. After checking the prices on the ever reliable Sawadee.com website we've e-mailed the hotels directly to try and get their best rates for our 16 night stay.

If anyone has any thoughts about these three places I'd be grateful to hear them. Plus whether just turning up without booking may get us a better price.

Having been to Khao Lak twice before in 2004 and 2006 we are well aware that these hotels are out of town, but this will not be a problem as we like the peace and quiet and will hire a car as we normally do.

On a personal note can I say thank you to Arandora for all your previous help in planning our trip. Hopefully we'll meet up in the Boathouse or somewhere for a Chang or two.

Take care, DrMike.

Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Down to three

Hi Dr Mike, We're booked (and paid) into the Andamania and I wish I hadn't been so quick off the mark because, if you aren't aware, Wotif are offering their best room for 1900 baht. I'm not familiar with the other hotels and chose the Andamania on recommendations and reviews, but if cost is a consideration you can't do better.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Down to three

Hi DrMike,

Glad you are returning to Khao Lak.

The three resorts you are considering are three of the latest 4* additions to the Khao Lak scene.

The Asparas and Toklaburi are neighbours on Pakarang beach where at least there are a few restaurants now open on the beach/in the vicinity. There is a recent thread on the Asparas with further links included at tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k24… It looks to be a very nice resort as indeed does the Toklaburi.

The Andamania is on the nicer Khuk Khak beach but is more secluded. As previously mentioned the rates on Wotif are very good at the moment.

I'm not sure about walk-ins. It's not something I've been brave enough to do on long haul holidays.

Phang Nga, Thailand
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Down to three

Hi DrMike,

As your last visit was 2006, you have chosen a good shortlist if your main requirement is peace and quiet as you will notice more activity, specifically in the La On and Bang Niang areas.

Out of the 3, I would personally lean towards the Apsaras or Talolaburi. The reason for this is because I like the Pakarang Cape area generally and there are some good restaurants nearby.

One thing to note is that The Andamania is located directly on the beach, wheras The Takolaburi and Apsaras do have a small road running in front of them, as far as I recall, if this makes a difference.

Have a great trip and 'welcome back to your second home' as our friends in Khao Lak often say!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Down to three

Hi Liccylaccy, Arandora and sanuksanaan.

Thanks for all your replies. So far I've got prices of 1850 Baht for the Andamania and 2500 Baht for the Takolaburi. I'm still awaiting the Apsaras' reply.

I'll be making my choice tomorrow morning, but I can't envisage getting any better prices for what are obviously good standard hotels. The money we've saved by delaying will pretty much have payed for the car hire which is excellent.

Take care, DrMike.

PS. Having made my choice I will then go cap in hand to my wife Pennie who will tell me where we're actually going to end up!

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,704 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Down to three

Loved the PS!!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Down to three

Hi one and all.

To tie this thread up, we finally plumped for the Takolaburi. The 2,500 Baht price seems very good (compared to the quoted 3900 Baht) and a further unexpected bonus is that transport to and from Phuket airport is included in the total 40,000 Baht total price..

I'll write a review when we return, though as any who've read any of my previous efforts will probably guess, it's likely to be a long one.

Thanks again to all who replied to my questions with such helpful advice. If any of you are likely to be in Khao Lak between 23/01/09 and 8/02/09 and would fancy meeting up for a drink, please feel free to PM me and I'll send some contact details for when we're there (I haven't decided yet whether or not to take a laptop).

Take care, DrMike and Pen.

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,704 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Down to three

Hi Dr Mike

After the recent comments on the Andamania I think you have made a wise decision. I was wondering what you'd decided and hoped you hadn't chosen Andamania.

Enjoy your holiday. We land in Thailand as you go home.

Cheers

Mary

Phang Nga, Thailand
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Down to three

Hi Dr Mike,

Have a great trip, and don't just stick to the Chang!

Phang Nga, Thailand
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Down to three

Go on then, tell us what it was like!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Down to three

Hi sanuksanaan.

I hope you're well.

I've got to get my head in gear to write my review - unfortunately, as anyone who's read my reviews will know who's read my efforts will know, I'm incapable of writing a short one. And an extended fortnight in Khao Lak really deserves the full Monty. I can promise you that's what it will get, not just a review of the Takolaburi.

However to give a quick synopsis, the hotel was great for us. Khao Lak has changed since our visit in 2006 and out of all recognition since our first trip in 2003 (I previously said 2004 but on checking with The Oracle, ie Pennie have realised I was wrong), but remains a fabulous slice of Thailand and Thai culture. The beaches range from the busy to the gloriously deserted. The food is as fabulous as ever and the Chang Beer remains cheap, cold and lethal!

I'll to get to work on the important stuff of writing at the weekend but am hampered by the triviality of seeing a few patients during this week. Sorry!

Thanks again to you, Arandora and everyone who helped us plan our trip.

Take care, DrMike.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations