We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Box jellyfish

Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Box jellyfish

A current thread on the Phuket forum leads me to ask if any have been sighted since reports in November?

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Phang Nga, Thailand
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Box jellyfish

Although the box jellyfish is not common in Thai waters, the Phuket Marine Biological Centre (PMBC) had recently reported the discovery of two families of box jellyfish – Chirosoides buitendijkl of the Chirodropidae family and those thought to be of the Carybdeidae family, in the waters off the coast of Phuket and Krabi in July and August 2008.

Following the discovery of the box jellyfish in Loh Sama bay, off Koh Phi Phi in Krabi province and in a trap in shallow waters, off Ao Nambor, on the east coast of Phuket island, PMBC has issued an official warning and circulated memorandums to all coastal provinces, urging authorities to set up signs warning of the presence of box jellyfish in affected areas. Dive operators have also been advised to be more vigilant before and during planned dives and to take additional precautionary measures to ensure the safety of their customers.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
952 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Box jellyfish

thanks for the interesting info, but back to my question ... have any been sighted in KL since the report in November. Do I need to carry my vinegar spray bottle down to the beach each time we go for a dip?

Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Box jellyfish

Not sure if this is the area you are talking about LiccyLaccy but checkout this news link reported 6 January 2009:

phuketwan.com/tourism/…

I would carry vinegar but prevention (and peace of mind) is better than cure. A stinger suit is best. Or at least protective clothing i.e. long sleeves/pants.

Swimmers in Northern Australia wear stockings to protect their legs from possible stings.

True!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
314 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Box jellyfish

we were swimming in the beach near Mukdara Beach Resort and had no problem with jelly fish (29/12/2008-4/1/2009). Not sure about other beaches.

Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Box jellyfish

That's great to hear - they must have moved down the coast to Phuket! :)

Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Box jellyfish

aussiegoddess - not that report - a comment made by a visitor to KL and also Cathy.

7. Re: Box jellyfish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 09:52
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations