We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed please

Manchester
Level Contributor
80 posts
4 reviews
Help needed please

We are planning a trip to thailand in Feb 09. We have been to Cha Am twice this year and stayed at the Regent Holiday Inn. We love that it is so quiet and just a few bars, restaurants and shops in the village by the hotel. We would like to try another resort but would like similar to cha am. Is Khao Lak what we are looking for. We are 49/50 year old couple who enjoy good thai food and quite a few changs. We arent looking for anywhere that is too lively. Thanks for your help

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Help needed please

Khao Lak is bigger than Cha Am with a wide range of accommodation to suit all budgets and tastes. There is over 20km of beautiful beaches with several communities along the highway with mountains on one side and beach on the other with resorts, restaurants and bars on both sides. Although there is more too it, it is popular mainly with families, couples and singles wanting to enjoy the beaches, the natural surroundings, access to world class diving and snorkeling at the Similan and Surin Islands, and a location bordered by several national parks.

Whilst there is plenty to do both by day and night it is relaxed rather than lively. Having stayed in Hua Hinn but visited friends staying at the Regent, Cha Am, Khao Lak is different but I am sure you will find equally enjoyable.

February is one of the best months for weather.

Have a look at the latest map of Khao Lak and other information at http://www.khaolaklovers.com/Khao-Lak-Map.htm

Manchester
Level Contributor
80 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Help needed please

Hi thanks for your reply. Can you recommend a hotel in the area for us please

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Help needed please

If you could give an idea of your budget, whether you prefer a hotel room or bungalow type resort, near to the beach or town, that would help.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
4. Re: Help needed please

Hi,

I am sure you will love Khao Lak. It has some really good restaurants to choose from in the town and also more rustic beach places where you can get an excellent thai meal and of course a few changs.

You have the Haadson resort at Bangsak which has a nice little promenade by the beach with a handfull of restaurants Konteschu being very good this area is popular with thai locals.From here about 25 minutes into Khao Lak town. You then have Pakweep beach where you will find the Le Meridien hotel and further down Sarojin thses have a few outside beach restaurants and a few restaurants on the highway by the Le Meridien.Approx 15 to 20 minutes taxi into Khao Lak from here.

Next place down the coast is Khuk Khak which has a few isolated hotels new Rixos, Apsaras. Andamania and Orchid beach. You then come to Bang Niang which is more built up and has agood range of ccommodation from budget upwards and plenty of restaurants bars ect Arandora is the best person for here as it is his home from home.

You then come to Nang Thong beach which is the beach to Khao Lak town this also has a good range of accommodation ie Nang Thong bay 1 & 2 Baan Khao Lak and plenty more with restaurants ,bars and shops.banks much bigger than Bang Niang.

There is also Sunset beach and Khao Lak beach also have a look at www.khaolak.de . I have allways enjoyed staying out of Khao Lak Town and just travel in for rest, bank, shops and of course Mr Monty the tailor.You are never far from KL town and taxi's are cheap.

Julie

Manchester
Level Contributor
80 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Help needed please

I like the sound of the Haadson Resort at Bangsak. How much could we expect to pay there for a double room in February?

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
6. Re: Help needed please

hi,having also stayed at the regent many times in the past we decided to twin centre it this year with the le meridien in khao lak and were very pleasantly surprised with how laid back khao lak is compared to phuket or even hua hin.graet beach`s with good water to mess about in unlike the mess at cha am since building that stone monstrosity.plenty of family shop type resaraunt/bars about as mentioned in other replies;so in a nutshell khao lak has overtaken cha am as ouur number 1 destination in thailand with cha am relegated to a poor number 3 (krabi number 2)and will only be used in future for a short stop to see the many thai friends we have there.i really do not think you will be dissapointed witth khao lak and take note of what arandora and jenson are saying they give really sound advice on the area, they certainly gave great advice to me before i went in october

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: Help needed please

janeo,

Various sites offer the Haadson (try a Google search) but, for instance, see AsiaRooms.com at asiarooms.com/thailand/…haadson_resort.html where in February a Coconut room (semi-detached, 2 story villas) is £71 per night and a Lakeside villa is £92 per night.

The Haadson is a lovely, unique resort situated on beautiful Bangsak beach which just a few, but very good, local restaurants on the promenade (very popular pinic spot for locals who make tourists very welcome) in front where you dine overlooking the ocean.

For more variety you can catch a local taxi into the centre of Khao Lak which is about 20 minutes away. No shops in the immediate vicinity.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
895 posts
127 reviews
8. Re: Help needed please

We are also seriously considering staying in Khao Lak in July this year, using our free nights from the Patong Merlin to stay at the Khao Lak Merlin. There are no reviews of the hotel on this forum so we're not sure what is close to it, such as places to eat, shop and so on. We never eat at the hotels in Patong, preferring the smaller eateries. Can anyone advise us as to what's available, as my husband's not keen on going but I am, as this will be our 6th trip to Phuket, and I want to try something different.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
9. Re: Help needed please

For some reason the Khao Lak Merlin appears under Phang Nga in Trip Advisor hotel reviews rather than under Khao Lak - see reviews here tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g297914-d121106…

Also if you enter Merlin in the search box at the head of this Forum you willfind many references to it.

However, the Merlin is one of Khao Lak's longest established large resorts and is situated on the beautiful Khao Lak or Khao Lak South beach. This is the first main beach area you reach coming from Khao Lak. The Main centre of KL is a 10 minute drive over the mountain at Bang La On where you will find most restaurants, shops and bars. There are only a handful of resorts near the Merlin and just a few restaurants, the most popular being JO Seafood, bars and shops, although more have recently been added.

Khao Lak in general and the area around the Merlin is certainly very much different to Patong,being more beautiful, more relaxed, more Thailand of old.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
10. Re: Help needed please

Hi Dragonlady2411,

The Merlin Khao Lak is about 10 minutes by taxi from the town where you will find plenty of eateries. There are a few outside on the highway from the Merlin Jo's that Arandora has mentioned and also used to be Mr Poos rest which changed hands last April to the Hello Bar which is highly recomended. A few others as well but do not know the names of these.Taxi from here into town readily available it was either 100baht or 150baht no more than that.You will find Khao Lak more chilled out than Phuket with fab beaches and the gateway for the trips to Similan Islands and Surin. It also has many thai authentic restaurants and you will find prices here slightly cheaper than Phuket.The first time i came to Khao Lak i fell in love with it.

Julie

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak