We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheow Laan Lake day excursion

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Cheow Laan Lake day excursion

Hi,

While doing some research for hubby's trips while away i came accross a local company called khao lak tour information who offered a day discovery tour to Cheow Laan Lake. I found plenty of tours to Khao Sok but not many offering a day trip to the lake unless you stayed in one of the rafthouses overnight.As hubby is a 5 star man this would not have been for him as he does not do basic.

I was quite impressed with the speed of reply to my initial enquiry with a reply back within 20 minutes confirming his booking and agreeing to do the tour.

His day started with a pick up t 07.00hrs with a driver called Ken in a new mini A/C mini bus and a Guide called Li who was with him the whole day explaining the history along the way.It is a 2 hour transfer to the lake and included a longtailboat ride round the island jungle trekking at Ha-Roy-Rai mountain, a trip on a bamboo raft to Pa-Ka-Rung cave which he said was fantastic and then back to the rafthouse for a thai food banquet for lunch.After this it was free time to either canoe,tubing, swimming or relaxing before taking the longtail back to the pier.On the way back to khao Lak they visited a temple.

His verdict on this trip was awesome the scenery blew him away and he was so glad he was able to experience the beauty of the lake without staying in a rafthouse. The lake is also mozzie free. He would like to thank his personal guide who was with him all day Li and Ken the driver. The website for this tour is www.khaolaktours.info . He also enjoyed the drive to Khao Sok and then up to the lake as the scenery along the way was wonderfull.

Julie

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
550 posts
143 reviews
1. Re: Cheow Laan Lake day excursion

Julie,

Thanks very much for posting this. I was thinking of looking into something like this for my wife and myself. You did the research for me--though it looks like your husband was the one that benefitted!

Again, great info.

Steve

UK
Level Contributor
968 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Cheow Laan Lake day excursion

thanks julie!

Preston, UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
3. Re: Cheow Laan Lake day excursion

Thanks Julie

This will definetly be on our list of things to do when we visit in Feb.

Philip

4. Re: Cheow Laan Lake day excursion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 December 2008, 17:33
Brisbane
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Cheow Laan Lake day excursion

Hi Julie

When we did our overnight to Cheow Laan Lake in November, there were two long boats that arrived with day trippers. We got talking to a few people and they were thoroughly enjoying their day, much the same as your husband did. Perfect for those on limited time or who dont want to 'rough it'. Though we found the overnight accommodation surprisingly good.

Will do the long promised report on the overnight trip very soon, off to Tasmania tomorrow for a wedding, then will have time over Christmas.

Cheers

Shae

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
6. Re: Cheow Laan Lake day excursion

Hi Burra,

Under the thumb if he was he would be at home looking after the dog while i was in Khao Lak . I put the post on mainly for anybody wishing to go to Cheow Laan Lake wanting to do a day only trip as the majority of trips on offer all feature a night at the rafthouse. A few companies that i previously e mailed about a day only trip one reply i got was it is a long way for a day only and another company wanted to charge me 4000baht per person and 2500baht per person transfer on top. It would be nice if hubby wanted to contribute on the forum he keeps promising but first he has to prise the laptop from me LOL.

I Shae i would be interested in your JBR on Cheowan Laan Lake especially your thoughts on your night in the rafthouse.

Julie

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
7. Re: Cheow Laan Lake day excursion

Hi Julie

The itinery for your hubby's tour is the exact same one we recently did with Limestone Lakes tours, except we made our own way to the lake as we had a hire car (so cost us 2000 bht each for 4 people)

It was a great day though the weather was crap... overcast and a little wet (same as the rest of our holiday except for the last two days)

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Limestone Lakes tours either

Cheers, Jan

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
550 posts
143 reviews
8. Re: Cheow Laan Lake day excursion

Shae, I'd also be interested in what you thought of your overnight in the rafthouse. Thanks!

Steve

dunkeld, victoria
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Cheow Laan Lake day excursion

Hi,

My husband, daughter and myself did a trip with Limestone Lake Tours in July 08 and would thoroughly recommend it to anybody. We stayed overnight in a treehouse at Art's Bungalows, which had an ensuite and mosquito nets over the beds. We wished we had another day to explore the area there.

The next day we went to the Lake and found the rafthouses to be basic but clean and comfortable. The weather was not the best with frequent showers of rain but the scenery was still amazing. The food was excellent and we had plenty of time to relax & swim as well as see the jungle from a canoe and visit a cave.

It was one of the highlights of our trip and we hope to return again and spend more time in this area.

cheers

caroline

Nitra
Level Contributor
213 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: Cheow Laan Lake day excursion

Khao lak tour information has also great nice and clean rooms to rent, we stayed in one for 400 baht and it was brand new, it is just at 7/11.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak