We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

andamania

lancs
9 posts
andamania

we booked to stay here for 5 nights from the 15th was wondering if anybody knows is it possible to go snorkeling from the beach there or any suggestions?

kind regards

D & M

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: andamania

The Andamania is situated on the beautiful but mostly wild Khuk Khak Beach where the constant wave motion doesn't make it suitable for snorkelling. in fact there are only a couple of spots on the entire Khao Lak coastline that lend themself to snorkelling and that is around rocks and quite limited. However, you are on the doorstep to two World Class snorkelling sites at the Similan and Surin Islands for which Khao Lak is a po[ular starting point.

If you search on this forum you will find plenty of information about both and how to get to them.

Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
2. Re: andamania

We are also booked to stay at the Andamania but not until February. Would you pls report back on your stay when you return - would love to have your views as there aren't too many as it is a new hotel? We're actually wondering about downgrading to a cheaper hotel as the price has shot up due to the poor exchange rate.

Hope you have a terrific holiday and I wish ours was just next week too.

lancs
9 posts
3. Re: andamania

thanks for the replies, will be going to similian and surin for snorkelling , we actually got a great deal at the andamania 12000bht for 5 nights with hotel.net, but now wondering if ive been had, because when i look at other sites, the price for them dates are way above that.

will give a report but not back in the uk till mid jan, looking to make our way down the andaman sea coast then back up again.

kind regards

D & M

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: andamania

I don't think you've been had at all. It is just a sign that some hotels are becoming more competitive to attracy visitors after the recent problems at a time they would have expected to be full or nearly full. Since it reopened the owner of this hotel has always been realistic in his prices.

liverpool
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
109 reviews
5. Re: andamania

im going to do a review of this later in the hotels page ill post a link to hotel review in a bit , BUT I WAS NOT VERY IMPRESSED AT ALL WITH THIS HOTEL , NO WAY IS THIS A 4 STAR . ok fair is fari this has a 5 star teak floor , and 5 star location , but everything else is a 2 star or 3 star at best .

THIS IS NOT A 4 STAR AND NOT VERY GOOD . shop about there are much better hotels and the location is remote and staff useless they just wanna make every £ or $ out of you in anyway they can . minibar massage food and shuttle are double everywhere else they capitalise on your isolation MILES from any single thing , not even a shop nearby .

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: andamania

Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay in the Andamania. However, for the benefit of others who may consider it in the future, take note if you haven't already picked it up on previous posts about this resort that it is in an isolated position with no restaurants, bars or shops nearby as is the case with the other resorts on this stretch of beautiful Khuk Khak beach.

No excuse for poor service or exploitation though!

Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
7. Re: andamania

Oh dear, so sorry the Andamania didn't come up to expectations. It must have been a terrible disappointment. We originally booked for 7 nights but changed to 2 - propitious decision I think. However, we were aware of the isolation and only booked there because we will have a car. I do hope though that the place is clean and the towels of good quality.

liverpool
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
109 reviews
8. Re: andamania

rooms quite clean and very large , its ok IF you have moped or hire car . if not you are in trouble ;-( the worst thing is they have no moped hire , no contacts for mopeds , and wont take you into town unless you pay double the tuk/taxi rate . lazy rip off merchants at front desk . everyone needs a moped it is soooo far away . we where told you have to go all the way to khao lak for bike and charge you 200baht , when if they took us just to end of main road you can easy get a bike there . they lied , cos otherwise they would have to charge you less cos its not as far . greedy con men . you dont have to go to kaho lak to get a bike go to nearest 7-11 there are bikes near there . but would they take us ... NO.

also the hotel demands as soon as you walk in you have to pay the whole holiday at once - cos they know people leave and want the cash immediately . we hadnt even seen our room but they wanted paying . incredbile !!!

it is quite clean , dont look in corners or under bed tho , and we kept being bit in places only exposed in bed . bed fleas ? impossible to be mosquitoes . hmmm . talking of which it was the worst place out of 7 hotels in a month for mozzies - the stagnant water off fountains and water gardens which dont work any more but still have lots of stagnant smeely green water in them to attract mozzies . bitten to death !!!!! and the doors and windows all have 1 cm gaps all round all the edges [i kid you not) and dont keep hte little bugs out . had to keep dumping lots of fly killer spray in room all the time just so many .

im sure youll be ok for 2 days , but god imagine 2 weeks urgh . 5 nights was too much for us we couldnt wait to go back to the kris boutique in bang tao - top hotel and top beach [if you go to non tourist end of beach] .

oh and hte pool area and decking where all split [decking] , cracked [tiles edge] , and broken [conrete edge] . staff where lazy for breakfast , did not replace the food/bowls , and after eating horrible lunch with crap service we went to town[s] every meal on moped .

instead GO TO PETER PAN RESTAUANT next to jais its amazing food in khao lak . we ate there about 5 times each time diff things and such great garlic bread pasta pizza potato croquetes and hot wings and , if you want a med twist instead of the thai food seriously it was better than most food we had touring italy for a month ha ha ! and service from 2 managers exceptional best in puket and also cleanest .

also even nearer in first village nearest to hotel [the big bay is basically 3 small towns and andammania is at very top] is rusty pelican for mexican food run by a cracking american guy with great food and stories , down the road at side of 7-11 , then half way down the side road look for the big hotel on left and its the tiny road opposite that , and must mention "mads sports bar" for strong coctails from a top brummie guy called matt and premier league football serie a and la liga all live on satellite - this is pretty close to hotel on right side coming from hotel look for the massive blue sign all lit up !!

price is ok , but avoid unless you cant get anything else

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,802 posts
119 reviews
9. Re: andamania

Thanks for more info. It's amazing, a couple of earlier reports were glowing - shows how quickly places can go down hill. We've paid and the lowering of the exchange rate has already cut a hole in our budget so we'll have to stick it out.

We're only going to be at the Andamania for one afternoon, and maybe a long beach walk would be the way to go, as the second day of our stay we intend spending at Khao Sok, but will make sure we douse ourselves in insect repellant before we go to bed.

Thanks for the restaurant advice - I've added it to our library. I think we need another week in KL just for eating.

liverpool
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
109 reviews
10. Re: andamania

oh and meant to say security in your room is diabolical - i could, if i was that way inclined, walk into ANY room in under 3 seconds using nothing more than a simple household item . i wont say more than that incase it encourages others , BUT , if you do have anything valuable lock it in room safe [note the safe isnt bolted down and can be carried off quite easily too lol!] . i couldnt lock up my laptop so had to take chances , but seriously the worst room security EVER ! be careful with that one .

re moped : make freinds with a guestwith a bike and ask for a lift to main rd to get a moped. you dont have to go all he way to khao lak and spend 200baht . a bike will cost 200-300 baht a day . i paid 225 from "big bike rental" in khao lak but wished i had got one nearer cos you have same problem when you return bike - taxi ! aswell as twist and go mopeds they have some big bad boy choppers for hire too at BBR ;-)

NB when riding bikes always carry drivers license and the driver HAS to wear helmet on main roads or you get 500 fine for no helmet and 300 for no license at random tourist checkpoints aka 'cashpoints' for policemans retirement fund ha . your ok on the backstreets , its mainly main road you can get a pull from cops .

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak