We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back report Part 2

Brisbane
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back report Part 2

Well, here I go with Part 2. Still so hot and humid in Brisbane, storms every day. Not helped by me having a couple of xmas puddings bubbling on the stove! Baz thanks you all for your good wishes, he is doing just fine - and why wouldnt he be! His brother Bertie is getting cranky that Baz is getting all the attention!! Am raising 4 boys, one husband and two male dogs - HELP!!

After we bade a sad farewell to the Green Beach Resort, we headed to the Ramada. Me in a local taxi with all our luggage, and Greg tootling behind on his moped making me wave to him every 5 seconds! Thanks God it was a short trip!! What is it with boys and bikes!!

Our room wasn't quite ready so we went and had a great lunch at one of the wonderful restaurants just to the right of the Ramada. On return our luggage was in our room and were ready to start the second part of our holiday. We had looked at the Ramada last time we were in KL and were also recommended by friends. We weren't disappointed. The room was lovely, good views of the sea etc etc. Great bathroom, with a massive bath tub which I adored. The only thing I would say, (and this is so just my opinion), is that once we closed the drapes, you could have been in any hotel room in any city in the world. And of course it is a part of chain and what else would we and should we expect. Except I guess we had come from this great little bungalow on the beach........called Honeymoon Cottage....

We could not have faulted the staff, the breakfasts were great, though in the nearly two weeks we stayed there, we didnt speak to anyone else at the hotel. Slightly impersonal perhaps, but on reading other reports many many dont find it like this, so maybe it was where we had come from. Please, please if you are booked to go to the Ramada, it is a great hotel but for us personally, it just slightly missed the mark. Greg can last sitting by a pool for about 30 minutes, he tries so,so hard, to be good - and not annoy me but after the 30 minute mark I send him off on some ridiculous errand so that I can sit there, read my book and people watch!! Mind you we have a lovely pool at home, and he seems to spend a fair bit of time hanging around that!!

So what else did we do.... we ate at the excellent little restaurants to the left of the Ramada, along the beach, especially the third one (sorry, useless with names), just before the rocks. We went there for dinner, sat down and the waitress came up and said "Madam is so beautiful". It was a pitch black night, I could have had 7 ears and two heads it was so dark, but it worked for me and we ate there several times! The BBQ fish was out of this world. Plus had a few massages there, excellent. Better than when we checked into a hotel in India a few years ago and the receptionist's welcome was "Madam must have been very beautiful - when she was young!!!).

We drove down to Krabi (not on the moped), which was a great day though it was a little wet. We left about 7.30am and arrived back about 10pm. We took a lot of side roads, and explored (well as much as you can in a Toyota Yaris). Krabi looked lovely, we went to the markets in the centre of town, and then went and had lunch by the beach. We found it quite beautiful but very built up. Though on saying that, the weather didnt do it much justince. It was so much fun driving back in the dark, not really knowing where we were going and feeling like those young back packers we were in Samui many, many years, mortgages, careers, kids and Bazil and Berts ago!

So did we find Khao Lak as magical as the first visit? Absolutely yes, a little more crowded, even at the start of high season (but then again we bought people with us for the first week too). We have already book BB1 at the Green Beach Resort for April. We are also looking at investing in some property??? - early stages yet. Even though we went at the same time last year, we were blessed this time with sensational weather - the sea seemed a little bluer, just fabulous to bob around in. The shells from the Khao Lak beaches are all through our home, reminders every day of a paradise we are so lucky to be able to share.

We reluctantly said our goodbyes to KL and headed for Bangkok....for a couple of days...Greg had ordered a guitar in Bangkok so he left me at the airport and headed off to morph into ROCK GOD, while I took a taxi to the hotel with all the luggage (this is getting a habit).

I am still trying to work out how to download the photos on Green Beach. And during the week I am going to post a report on our overnight trip to the Rafthouse - it was just so good that I would like to share the experience and the photos.

Take Care

Love Shae x

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Back report Part 2

Hi Shae,

Loved reading both of your reports, very funny and informative, where did you get the moped from, really fancy getting a couple of those and whizzing around for a couple of days.

My two dogs are now on holiday with my mum as we travel Wednesay.....can't come quick enough.

Sarah

xx

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,514 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Back report Part 2

Hi Shae,

Part II was worth waiting for. Some great information for other would be Khao Lak Lovers. Pleased Baz is recovering.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Back report Part 2

Hi Sarah

Each time we have been in KL we have booked the bikes from D-Time. I must say though, we tripled checked the insurance before we did anything. I am not great on the back of the bike - I keep yelling to Greg - slow down - he yells back - I am only doing 30!! But I will do short trips and it is a great way of getting around.

Shae x

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Back report Part 2

Thanks Shae, very entertaining.

My first query, what the h*ll are you doing surrounding yourself with all those males in the household? I came along with the 4 legged female variety, (love me, love my dog) into a male dominated situation including a 14 yr old teenager, a schizoid 4 legged one, and the poor older male trying to cook, clean and run the household and I can tell you the 4 legged female rules the roost. Hope you can get your photos up for all to see. I did a copy of the photo then adjusted it to the size that is allowable on TA and posted. Another option might be using a photo share option like google or photobucket. I used google and just signed up an account, you can then add any photos off your computer for public viewing. Mind you, I think I needed hubby's help from memory.

Lee

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Krabi Town, Cape Panwa, Rawai
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Back report Part 2

Hi Shae

Loved reading your report made me chuckle. I know what you mean about some hotels seeming a bit impersonal i have had the same experience thankfully not in Khao Lak at the LE Meridien.I shall look forward to hearing about your trip to the rafthouse hubby was there the other day on a day trip which as soon as he comes home i will also post a report as not many operators offer a day trip at a reasonable rate to Chieowan Laan Lake. He did say it was well worth the trip and the scenery along the way was wonderfull. I am afraid for Ken the rafthouse is a little too basic he likes to go back to his hotel.Thankyou for sharing your experience.

Julie

BURLINGTON
Level Contributor
775 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Back report Part 2

I enjoyed reading your JBR Part 2 just as much as the first one. I must say you have a way with words - the report is informative without being boring, funny without being over the top and able to paint pictures that one can visualize. I wish all JBR reports were as easy to read.

Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Back report Part 2

Agree with Newfie, thank you. Your holiday sounded great fun.

8. Re: Just Back report Part 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 03:48