We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back Report - Part 1

Brisbane
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Just Back Report - Part 1

HI All

Well have sufficiently finished sulking to start a JBR. Will do it in a couple of parts as we divided the stay into two parts. Plus never seem to get enough time on my own, without someone calling out "Have you seen the...." "What have you done with..."Have finally made it to the computer on a very humid night in Brisbane - with Bazil (the dog) still recovering from surgery, by my feet.

We were met smoothly at Phuket airport, and as we headed towards Khao Lak, I said to Greg (very lucky husband of mine), I can feel all the stresses of life leaving me. He simply said, "I feel like I am coming home". I am sure all of you return visitors to KL can relate to that!

For the first part of our stay, there were four of us, G and myself and two close friends, single girls on their first trip to KL. We stayed at Green Beach Resort which I booked through the net. It was paradise.....we had BB1 and the girls had BB2. It was perfect. Our bungalow displayed the shingle "HONEYMOON COTTAGE" - quite amusing when the 4 of us sat out on the balcony having a drink watching the sunset. As one passing male said to Greg "Bloody hell,why would you want 3 of them". The girls and I promptly put a curse on him!! The cottages were simple, clean, comfortable, roomy, with a great outdoor area, opening onto the beach. Exactly what we needed - no telly (what election!), just glorious views and the sound of the sea to lull you to sleep. The staff were beautiful and lots of fun.

On the second day, we did a two day one night stay at Chieow Laan Lake in a rafthouse. We did this through Limestone Lake Rainforest Tours. It has to be up there with one of the best things we have every done, anywhere. The weather was perfect, the tour had the exact balance of sightseeing, downtime, etc. If anyone would like to know more I would be happy to write a separate report, let me know. Also have some great photos, just not sure how to load them on to the site (will get one of the kids to do it for me, if I can catch them).

Back into Khao Lak, we hired a car and took our friends out and about, revisiting the waterfalls, out to the Sarojin, White Sand Beach (about my favourite place for lunch and a swim), and generally lazing around.

Greg could not wait to revisit the Happy Snapper - so off we went to jam night. He was very excited that they did remember him from his last visit (either very good, or very bad!!). He ended up doing 6 songs, and had the whole place up dancing. It is a wonderful thing to see your partner, having the time of their life. They asked him to go back on the following Saturday and again he had the place rocking!! Amazing that all those young people will get up and dance to "our music" (think Sultans of Swing, Brown Eyed Girl etc).

We had some great meals (do you every have a bad one in Thailand)...and our two friends absolutely fell in love with the place. After a week, our friends departed (both are flight attendants, and duty called) and it was just me and the Rock God, to start the second part of our holiday. Not before attending to a bit of housekeeping. I had gone to the dentist there last year and was really happy with the results. This time, I went for a check up (all good) and Greg had a crown done. He was really happy with the work.

We reluctantly said goodbye to our Honeymoon Cottage, and headed off to the Ramada for the next 10 days. By this time Greg had hired his bike (or should I say moped). He loves wizzing around on it, and as we go at very start of the high season feel quite safe. We were also very chilled..

If anyone is interested, will do part 2 on the weekend.

For those of you who sent good wishes to Baz, he is recovering well, had his stitches out today, though still has to be carried up and down the stairs. We live in a tri-level!! How lucky he is,compared to doggies elsewhere. I wish I could travel with a big container, and bring them all home....

To be continued...if you can bear my ramblings!!

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Just Back Report - Part 1

thank you very much for such a great JBR!

but i understand the man you put a curse on him! HA-HA! that's a real funny :)

certainly will wait for reading #2!

i love to go to Khao Lak too but my dear has forced me(at the moment) to go to Samui. could you please comment a bit on beach and environment there? perhaps i could have a good conversation to lift for debating

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: Just Back Report - Part 1

Hi Belyndah.

It was great to read your JBR i certainly know what you mean about coming back home. I get so excited . My hubby is there at the moment lucky thing making me green with envy when he telephones to give me a report of his day especially with what restaurant he has eaten at. I look forward to the next report and glad to hear your dog Baz is recovering.

Julie

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Just Back Report - Part 1

Hi Belyndah,

Great report Part I. There just has to be a Part II now. As for Baz, every cloud has a silver lining, it could be the "Rock God" (wish MY wife would call me that! Wish I could sing to earn it!!) you needed to carry up and down stairs - not that I would want to put any ideas into his head! :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Just Back Report - Part 1

Thanks Belyndah for your great JBR, your hubby sounds quite amazing, would have totally enjoyed myself too. As for poor Baz, hope he is well on the road to recovery and not too heavy to lug up the stairs. I often think I wouldn't mind coming back as my dog, when I look at the life she leads, but then again she doesn't get to go on the holidays like we do. Looking forward to Part 2.

Ha ha, very funny Alan.

Lee

Preston, UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
5. Re: Just Back Report - Part 1

Keep on rambling Belyndah,

looking forward to part 2...

Its really wetting our appetite for our return

visit to Khao Lak in Feb.

Phil

BURLINGTON
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Just Back Report - Part 1

I really enjoyed reading your JBR, Part 1, and look forward to the next installment!

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,845 posts
119 reviews
7. Re: Just Back Report - Part 1

Yes, roll on the week-end. Give Baz a big bone for being a brave boy - that'll keep him quiet whilst you're writing.

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
567 posts
143 reviews
8. Re: Just Back Report - Part 1

"On the second day, we did a two day one night stay at Chieow Laan Lake in a rafthouse. We did this through Limestone Lake Rainforest Tours. It has to be up there with one of the best things we have every done, anywhere. The weather was perfect, the tour had the exact balance of sightseeing, downtime, etc. If anyone would like to know more I would be happy to write a separate report, let me know. Also have some great photos, just not sure how to load them on to the site (will get one of the kids to do it for me, if I can catch them)."

Great report--both parts! And yes, I'd very much welcome your writing a report on the Chieow Laan Lake rafthouse, whatever that is.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
9. Re: Just Back Report - Part 1

Cheow Lan Lake is "One of Thailand's best kept secrets, this stunning lake and it's surrounding shoreline is home to gibbons, langurs, macaques, falcons, eagles, hornbill, and fruit bats..." It is part of the Khao Sok National Park, which is just over an hour from Khao Lak with the lake a further hour from the park entrance.

One of the attractions to those staying overnight is sleeping in one of the rafthouses on the lake.

See

ourweb.info/01/…index2.shtml

and http://www.geocities.com/pantoorat/Lake.html

for more information.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Just Back Report - Part 1

Hi Southside

Will do the report on the weekend. And hopefully put some photos up for you to look at. (I know I keep saying that!).

Cheers

Shae x

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak