We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak for families

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Khao Lak for families

Hi all

We are trying to arrange a last minute trip to Thailand and came across Khao Lak as a possible place to visit.

Can anyone recommend accommodations for a family with 3 children 6 and under, with beach access, close to restaurants, etc??

Maybe Khao Lak is not ideal for us - can you recommend other family friendly (not heavily touristed) islands??

Many thanks!!:))

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak for families

"Maybe Khao Lak is not ideal for us "

Certainly, Khao Lak is family friendly and is relatively quiet and low-key compared withother destinations.

"- can you recommend other family friendly (not heavily touristed) islands??"

Just in case you have got the wrong impression, Khao Lak is not an island. It is on the Andaman coast just over an hour north from Phuket Airport. It comprises over 20km of wonderful beaches and is located within beautiful National Park where you will find waterfalls and elephant treks to occupy you and your familoy when you are not on the beach or by the pool.

Have a look at the latest maps here to give you a better idea of the area and location of accommodation.

http://www.khaolaklovers.com/Khao-Lak-Map.htm

There are links to accommodation and prices there too.

The Le Meridien is a 5* resort on the best beach in Khao Lak and has the best children's facilities - family accommodation, separate pools and Kiddies' Club. The resort though is about 15 minutes by shuttle or taxi to the main area of Khao Lak at Bang La On where most of the restaurants and shops are located. The beach here is Nang Thong Beach and the new Lahuna Resort also has a variety of accommodation and children's facilities.

An idea of your budget would help in making some more suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Andaman Seafood Restaurant
Andaman Seafood...
388 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Phuket Airport Hotel
Phuket Airport Hotel
515 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort
Le Meridien Phuket Beach...
3,467 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Nang Thong Beach
Nang Thong Beach
71 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak for families

Hi,

I can also recomend the Le Meridien for a child friendly hotel and the facilities for the children that it has to offer.There is what is known as a family wing at this hotel with childrens pools with a slide and lazy river, also a lagoon with sandy area for children and water toys and play area ect for the children. It also has a well supervised childrens club with toys,books, play stations and games.

I love Khao Lak for its fabulous beaches the beach at the LM being well known and the restaurants that you can dine in in the khao lak area selling cheap and wonderfull food. There is plenty for you to do here you have khao sok an hour away, elephant trekking , Phang Nga sea gypsey village and James Bond Island, Phuket 1.15 minutes away.Plenty of other trips as well Phi Phi , Similan Islands and Surin.

Julie

Mentioned in this post
3,467 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga
Phang Nga
James Bond Island
James Bond Island
3,191 Reviews
Ao Phang Nga National Park, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
951 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Similan Islands
Similan Islands
624 Reviews
Phang Nga, Thailand
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,188 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Lak for families

Thank you, thank you for your responses!! Yes a little confused about mainland and island...that's what I get for trying to plan a last minute trip.

We thought about the Meridian but it looks like you wouldn't have the cheaper beach restaurants like other hotels further south.

We are looking at a hotel called Chong Fah - have you heard of it or anything about it??

Thanks again for any advice!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao Lak for families

There are beach restaurants near Le Meridien which are no more expensive on average than others or street restaurants in Bang La On, the main centre, and Bang Niang where the Chong Fah is located although there are more in both those locations. The Rim Lay, about 200 metres from the Le Meridien is one of the best, in my experience, in the whole of Khao Lak and is consistently very good and inexpensive. A further 400 metres or so around the headland there are 3 more on the splendid stretch of beack known as White Sand Beach. Getting to these might be might be tricky for your kiddies if the tide is in as you then have to go over and through the Similana. I'm not sure what the position on this is currently as the Similana is closed for a rebuild. No doubt Jenson's hubby who is at the Le M at the moment, will let us know through her.

As for the Chong Fah, this a relativerly new 3* resort built directly facing the beach at Bang Niang with both bungalows and hotel type rooms. It is elevated above the beach with loungers on grassed area overlooking the ocean. It has an excellent modern restaurant of its own and is only steps away from the seperately owned (but still in the family) very poular Chong Fah restaurant. There are others along this stretch of beach in both directions, particularly to the south past the La Flora, Mukdara and Ramada where there are several restaurants and massage places directly on the beach.

The beach by the Chong Fah is quite narrow but it broadens out quite a lot in front of the other 3 resorts I have just mentioned.

Some good pictures on this German website mykhaolak.de/resorts/khao-lak-chong-fah-beac…

Mentioned in this post
3,467 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Rim Lay
Rim Lay
203 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
White Sand Beach
White Sand Beach
2,167 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Chong Fah Restaurant
Chong Fah Restaurant
239 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
La Flora Resort & Spa
La Flora Resort & Spa
1,134 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao Lak for families

that's a great link! lots of info for Khao Lak area there

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Khao Lak for families

Hi Olaf,

Sorry, I should have posted that for you before. There is a wealth of information at the forum http://www.khaolakforum.de/index.php

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Khao Lak for families

Hi,

I have to agree with Arandora the Rim Lay is a fantastic beach rustic dining experience. What can be better having a fabulous meal listening to the sounds of the sea. Also it is delicous food and so cheap. Hubby had a meal the other night and it came to 150baht.I shall ask him to go up the steps at the Similana to see if you can come down the other side for when the tide is in for the other restaurants on white sand beach.It is easy to get from the LM by the shuttle to Kho Lak for evening dining if you so desired but book in the morning for this.

Hubby has also asked me to put a post on about Arandora's other favourite restaurant the Boatyard it is another 10 minutes walk past white sands beach. Only hubby is lazy and gets a local to drop him off in a Catamaran just to be posh. Three of them ate last night spring rolls fresh made, monkfish a large one , different rice , tuna salad, and prawns in garlic sauce which he said was to die for. This restaurant is open 10.00hrs to 19.00hrs and he said it was the best meal he has ever had so did the locals he went with. It seems not many people know about this place as the locals he took live by the Ssrojin but did not know this restaurant existed further down the track. Now that they know about it they are going again.It is of the beaten track but the food was he said fantastic and friendly service he loved it.

Chong fah resort a nice resort in Bang Niang but it is only a boutique resort so you will not have the facilities that the Meriden has for children and for yourselves. The best accommodation here is the beach front bungalows. It is a nice resort.Arandora is the expert on Bang Niang as it is home from home.

I have just done a review on the LM for my husband so if you look on the reviews you will see some recent pictures that i have put on of the beach and hotel ect.

I will ask hubby to go walkies tomorrow to see if you can cut through the similana and let you know its about time he got his walking legs on LOL

Julie

Mentioned in this post
Rim Lay
Rim Lay
203 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Boatyard
Boatyard
238 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Khao Lak for families

i have checked that forum already. thx anyway, Alan

Thx Julie too for a suggestion of restaurants

9. Re: Khao Lak for families

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2008, 20:02
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Khao Lak for families

I wish you would go away with your spamming!!!:(