We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving Company recommendations - daily diving

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Diving Company recommendations - daily diving

Hi, My husband and I are in Khao Lak in the new year. Is anyone able to recommend a particular diving operator for day dives to the Similan Islands rather than a liveaboard.

A couple of particular questions, do all the diving companies take people to the islands on a larger boat, or are there any who keep the number of people down to a smaller number? Are there any companies who are faster getting to the dive sites? Also, hubby takes his own kit but has been spolit with previous diving where kit is pretty much sorted for you onto and off the boat etc, are there any companies who do this?

All comments are really appreciated, I am one of those slightly neurotic non-diving wives who is always anxious to know that hubby is as safe as can be...

Thanks all,

Katie

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving Company recommendations - daily diving

Hi Katie,

Have a look at this German site which lists most of the Dive Operators in Khao lak with links to their websites, many of which are in English mykhaolak.de/dive-center/khao-lak-dive-cente…

I am sure if you Email some you will find one to meet you/your hubby's requirements.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving Company recommendations - daily diving

Hello,

There are many dive centers in Khao Lak. Have a look at www.sea-bees.com who operate from Phuket and khao lak with their own boats. www.seadragondivecenter.com You will find more under things to do on www.khaolaklovers.com and www.mykhaolak.de click on dive centers.

Julie

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving Company recommendations - daily diving

Dear Both,

Thanks for your replies.

I should have said we have the full list of operators from one of the German websites, it was more to see if anyone had any particularly good experiences they could comment on, especially when there is so much choice!

Katie

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving Company recommendations - daily diving

Hi Katie,

We have just got back from Khao Lak. We dived with Similan Diving Safaris

www.similan-diving-safaris.com

I can recommend them completly. They have a state of the art speedboat to take you out to the islands, about an hour and half. About 20 people on the boat, divers & snorkllers. The staff are a mix of Thai, French, New Zealand, German. All very nice & speak english. The Thai girl, Kit was great, taught us a bit of Thai. Also the boat Captian was very cool. We did two days diving 4 dives with an overnight stay on Island 4, cost us 20800 for the two days for both of us. The shop minded our main bags with no hassle. Khao Lak is very safe.

All the dive gear was new & of good quality. We only took our mask & snorkel. The boat crew helped us into our BCDs & into the water & back out, even put on our fins for us. Very helpful & professional. The diving was the most relaxed I have ever done. Slow drift dives with the current. Floating over reefs & bommies. Millions & millions of fish, reef sharks, moray eels, stingrays, Clownfish etc. I've never seen so many fish in one spot. Viz was 15-20 meters, water temp 30, we dived in our boardshorts & rash vest, no wetsuit needed, bottom time 1hour, depth 15-20 meters. The snorkllers on board enjoyed themselves too, plenty of shallow water around the islands. I would advise you to stay on the Island, it is beautiful & peaceful once the day trippers go back to the mainland. They have fan or A/C bungalows, basic but they do the job, there is also a basic restaurant (hope you like seafood) They sell cold beer as well. There is an Adventure walk up to a lookout, very steep in some spots & a bit hard going but the views from the top are worth it. Also a walk to see the sunset, not too hard. We wish we had stayed two nights & had a free day on the island between diving, maybe next time. Plenty of great snorkelling around the Island, loads of fish life & clear water. The island is beautiful & relaxing. If you have any more questions just ask, sorry for such a long reply but I really like the diving & the Islands. Hope you both have fun

Elissa

5. Re: Diving Company recommendations - daily diving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 19:51
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations