We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR Khao Lak Resort

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
JBR Khao Lak Resort

This was our third visit to Khao Lak (6th to Thailand) but first to the KL Resort. The Hotel is very pleasant with bungalows and villas spread around the resort, with lots of trees and nice gardens. There are rooms in buildings on the hill which I did not view (but would not have chosen). Our semi bungalow was very nice, with a great view, overlooking the pool then onto the sea. Our friends had arrived a few days earlier and they had upgraded to a villa on the front which was extremely nice. As it was our 25th we enquired about an upgrade and got one at a reasonable price. The villas are very spacious with a seperate lounge and bedroom and huge bathroom. There is also direct access to the Pool from a back door. The deck is huge and offers fantastic panoramic views of the ocean. The restaurants are very pleasant with a good range of food at realistic prices (though not as good as in town). As the KL Resort is only 10/15 minutes walk to the main town area, we walked in most evenings and tried almost all the restaurants. Favourites were Phu Khao Lak, Busabas, Thai Seafood and Phulay. forgotten a few other names but they were all good. We also tried the cliff top restaurant which was very different but again v good. After eating, we always ended up in Tarzans Bar which has excellent music, the best atmosphere, great beer and drink selection and the friendliest and nicest staff in the world. Toy the DJ and owner is a fascinating, philisophical man who makes you feel very humble. He will play such a diverse range of music and upon request played some wonderful Thai folk music (well who wants to listen to only European music when in Thailand)!!! The staff in the Hotel in the main were very friendly, the Restaurant Manager - Ching is superb, as is the reservations manager - Sun. The young Burmese girl who patiently and endlessly kept the pathways and surrounding areas swept clean always rewards you with a beautiful smile whenever you say hello. The beach is a nice one, not far to walk to the left but to the right you can go for miles, albeit over some rocky headlands and awkward when the tide is in. There was the occasional slight issue of certain visitors doing the towel thing. I imagine this may get worse with more visitors. There are signs stating no reserving sunbeds!! The pools are lovely, v clean. The Spa is good, though I preferred the beach massage, 2 Hotels down. Overall we were very happy with this Hotel.

Check out was poor and disappointing, we had a late flight so moving out of our room at 1400 meant we had to then prepare for the flights after a day on the beach (never the best),we were not looked after well. We did complain on our return and received some compensation and apologies.

I would return here for its nice location and lovely layout,it was nice to be close to Town and have that choice. (our previous stays have been at Le Meridien)If you can afford it go for a villa and be aware that some of the bungalows can be high in the trees with quite a trek to get around.

We noticed quite a difference since April. There are more shops going up and more Tailors!!!Most of the locals remain as always, lovely friendly happy people. Do not let the odd irritating persisting and unfriendly Tailor put you off! Just smile.

It is so hard to be back!!! and we are planning our return asap!!!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort
Le Meridien Phuket Beach...
3,473 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR Khao Lak Resort

Great report on a resort that doesn't receive many reviews on here. Roll on January when we return. Some different restaurants to sample it seems.

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR Khao Lak Resort

Hi Arandora,

Being curious, where are you going to stay this time. Is it another luxury long stay? There are a few more restaurants but the old faves are still there and doing well.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR Khao Lak Resort

Hi,

12 weeks of "luxury" this time, back to our lovely little bungalow at our Home from Home Cousin resort! There we will renew aquaintances not only with our friends but the electric toaster we bought at Teso Lotus on Phuket for the princely sum of 299baht so we can have the luxury of tea and proper toast!!LOL :))

I understand there are even more new restaurants in Bang Niang so plenty of time to sample them.

Were you in KL for the Loy Krathong Festival last week? I understand that it was very enjoyable and it was even raining to mark the occasionb!

Mentioned in this post
Cousin Resort
Cousin Resort
82 Reviews
Khuk Khak, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR Khao Lak Resort

Hi Sandemac,

Great report i love reading the JBR'S it keeps me going until i go back in February. At the moment hubby is living it up in Kl for 3 weeks at the Le Meridien.There is nothing worse than preparing for a flight home after a day on the beach and not being looked after. I allways try and keep the room on but i do understand that this is not allways possible.

Julie

Mentioned in this post
3,473 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR Khao Lak Resort

Thanks for sharing your holiday experiences with us -good to know you had a great time. Can you remember the name of the "cliff top restaurant"?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR Khao Lak Resort

I think the cliff top restaurant Sandemac is referring to is the Muanlai E-Sarn Dining Restaurant, which belongs to the Baan Krating Resort. You get to it by either walking along sunset beach south past the Khao Lak Resort, Wanaburee, Paradise and other resorts (around the rocks from Nang Thong Beach) then up a stairway from the beach - a lovely walk for lunch - or from the main highway. Coming from Khao Lak (La On) it is on your right just before the National Park HQ, where I usually park my car. It offers fabulous views over the coastline, excellent spicy, Esan or E-sarn (from northern Thailand) food and an amazing selection of Som Tum - spicy papaya salad with a variety of ingredients. Also fish and meat cooked on the open air BBQ.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Nang Thong Beach
Nang Thong Beach
71 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR Khao Lak Resort

Thanks Alan, I did wonder if it was the Baan Krating.

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JBR Khao Lak Resort

Yes the restaurant was the Muanlai. The walk up the steps from the beach is great for the fantastic Photo ops!! We booked the rest for our friends anniversary. It was very nice, great location. Unfortunately it was raining and cloudy so missed the sunset, but it didnt ruin our enjoyment one bit. We had a selection of dishes to share as we all fancied something different and we enjoy trying new things - liver ( a first) and spicy meatballs along with a spicy chicken dish and prawn dish, they were all delicious - the liver was perfectly cooked and the meatballs were HOT but very moreish. It was nice to eat in what is obviously a locals local!! Due to the weather we did not go up the steps (plus the fact the tide can make getting to them a bit hairy and they can be very slippy. From there we went back to Tarzans for a few hours of music and Mekhong!! It all seems such a distant memory now!!

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JBR Khao Lak Resort

ohh, that's a great jbr!

and i also get info of the area for my next visit. i save the page as favourite now:)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JBR Khao Lak Resort

thanks for the report, what was your impression of the quality of the rooms vs. the Meridien? How about the beach?

Mentioned in this post
3,473 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations