We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak Revisited

New York City
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Khao Lak Revisited

Hello All,

The last time that I was in Khao Lak was four years ago when there was nothing and we were helping rebuild the local villages. It was a wonderful experience.

I will be returning there in late November and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a hotel. I am looking for something that is peaceful, though does have some life or even night life. I will be alone as my wife passed on recently. Ideally it will be walking distance to the town. I am in my low 40’s. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak Revisited

Hi Greg,

First commiserations about your wife. Secondly welcome to the forum. Thirdly welcome back to Khao Lak which you will find vastly changed since the harrowing time you were last there and the devastation you must have seen.

You will be amazed at just how Khao Lak has come back, particularly since it did not receive the amount of governmental and donated aid proportionate to the devastation and loss of life it suffered.

The main areas that comprise Khao Lak have now developed very rapidly and each in a different way and with different advantages to the visitor.

Have a look at the maps herehttp://www.khaolaklovers.com/Khao-Lak-Map.htm

and here http://www.khaolakmap.com/

which will show you the coastline and resorts on it as it is now and here khaolaklovers.com/Khao-Lak-Resorts-and-Hotel… for information and rates on accommodation.

Bang La On is the main community of Khao Lak as you will probably recall and has the largest number of restaurants, bars and shops and you will find it vibrant and busy when you arrive, particularly in the evening. Just up the road is Bang Niang which was the worst affected area but the rebuilding and regeneration has been incredible and is still ongoing, but don't let it conjure images of a big building site because it isn't. It is much quieter than La On with more accommodation of all sizes, status and price on the beachfront or on the roads parallelling it.

Khao Lak Beach, near the Merlin, is now a very nice community of about 5 resorts with a growing number of restaurants, bars and shops to support them and Pak Weeb Beach to the North is the most beautiful beach and the two best resorts, the Sarojin and Le Meridien, albeit the Ramada, Mukdara and La Flora on Bang Niang are excellent and less expensive alternatives.

Perhaps if you gave an indication of type of accommodation resort or hotel room or bungalow and budget we could help more with some suggestions or if there are any on the link I've posted that you fancy just ask away.

Regards.

New York City
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak Revisited

Wow, thanks for the great information. I am now thinking that Nang Thong beach would be nice. When I was there, there was nothing but foundations.

I remember the sunsets were great. My price range is about $100 US/night, though I could be tempted to go higher. I would rather be in the middle of everything that on one of the secluded resorts that are very isolated.

With this additional information do any resorts jump out?

Thanks,

Greg

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Lak Revisited

Hi Greg,

Nang Thong Bay and the recent addition Nang Thong Bay 2 Resorts are excellent bungalow resorts right on the beach and a stone's throw from town. They are VERY poopular though so you'll have to move quickly if you want to book. They use the following German site for bookings khaolak.de/khaolakbeach/eNangThongBeach.htm but all communication in English.

Some photos from last February at http://photos.orange.co.uk/album/7624258

Good luck and let me know if you need any further help or information.

Regards

Alan

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao Lak Revisited

Just in case the Nang Thong Bay is full, you could consider Khao Lak Countryside (just across the road), Khao Lak Green Beach (cute bamboo bungalows, no pool), Khao Lak Bungalow (Gerd & Noi,) and Khao Lak Andaman Beach Resort (fairly new, very nice bungalows, no pool), the latter are just up the beach from Nang Thong Bay Resort.

Next to it in the opposite direction the Baan Khao Lak has consistently good reviews.

Pics of Baan Khao Lak here

http://photos.orange.co.uk/album/5660332

and Gerd & Noi here

http://photos.orange.co.uk/album/6244202

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao Lak Revisited

Hi Greg,

I am so sorry for your loss . You will certainly notice a dramatic difference on your return to Khao Lak.Arandora has allready given you the main sites to look at. I would recomend you have a look at Bang Niang which does have some life and some very nice accommodation to suit all budgets and also Nang Thong beach area is very lively. If you are wanting peacefull i would look at the smaller boutique places.

Julie

woking
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Khao Lak Revisited

Beach, may I echo the sentiments already expressed by others.

I have just returned from Biang Niang and I'd be happy to suggest you visit the area.

There are several lively bars along the road near the 'Police Boat'. Quite a few have bands playing and we found the people welcoming and fun.

Equally there are a number of accomodations nearby, so you'll have no problem finding your way home of an evening.

We found Khoalaklovers.com to be a great and informative resource when choosing places to stay.

Phang Nga, Thailand
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Khao Lak Revisited

I can recommend the forum at www.khaolaklovers.com

It currently has a posting showing the Bang Niang area from a recent visitor, which will give you an idea of what the area is now like.

The best bar for live music in Bang Niang is the Degree Bar, just opposite the police boat. Bang Niang also has a new nightclub, The Peach Club, for those seeking a higher volume level.

Phang Nga, Thailand
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Khao Lak Revisited

I can recommend the forum at www.khaolaklovers.com

It currently has a posting showing the Bang Niang area from a recent visitor, which will give you an idea of what the area is now like.

The best bar for live music in Bang Niang is the Degree Bar, just opposite the police boat. Bang Niang also has a new nightclub, The Peach Club, for those seeking a higher volume level.

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Khao Lak Revisited

hi all

sorry to hear that, Greg

i just happen to change my mind to Khao Sok and Khao Lak rather than Sumui for next year. so thanks for informative details too

i would ask you again soon for some helpful info

Regards,

Olaf

Phang Nga, Thailand
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Khao Lak Revisited

Hi Olaf,

A good choice.

Please ask any questions you want, we are here to help.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations